« What's on your mind? » Topic is solved

Talk about anything
smorgasbord

Re: « What's on your mind? »

03 Mar 2014, 02:32

Thanks joedf nnnik
Extra programming... seems a good idea :)
morpheus: i want to know what am i missing.. :)
John ... you working ?
jNizM

04 Mar 2014, 09:39

Metric system

ps how about a (auto-)scale for big pictures?
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
LinearSpoon

04 Mar 2014, 12:36

The metric system has some oddities as well, I mean:
Why is the meter defined as the distance light travels in 1/299792458th of a second? So much for round numbers...
Why is the base unit of mass kilograms instead of grams?

As a side note, the imperial system is a bit more widespread than the map would have you believe. Some countries have officially decided to use the metric system, while the people still use the imperial system for tradition, familiarity, etc.
Source & examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_u ... rial_units

The Fahrenheit scale was originally zeroed at the temperature of a brine solution, had 32 as the freezing temperature of water, and 96 as the average core temperature of the human body. The benefit (to Daniel Fahrenheit) was that given 64 units between 32 and 96, he could easily mark his instruments by dividing it in half six times. Later, the scale was redefined to have 180 degrees between the freezing temperature and the boiling temperature of water.

Celsius is actually not the metric base unit of temperature. It's also not defined to start at 0 and end at 100 as the image would have you believe.. nor is it the freezing and boiling point of water as is commonly believed. Celsius is now defined by the Kelvin scale, and 0K = -273.15C. For most applications, the difference between the actual freezing and boiling point of water is negligible. (>0.01 C)

The United States date format is most likely still used because in spoken conversation dates are predominantly used in the same order as the format, eg: "December 8th, 1996".

Not that I have anything against either system, I just wanted to add a few facts. At the end of the day, either system can be used to produce the same results (after conversions). I believe that familiarity is a stronger reason to use a particular system for most people.
jethrow

04 Mar 2014, 14:38

Logically speaking, shouldn't everything be base 2? :)
joedf

04 Mar 2014, 15:38

Jethrow + 0b0001
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

04 Mar 2014, 15:43

Nope you need to calculate with your head from time to time.
Taking that point of view the imperial system has no benefits at all, not to mention a base 2 system.
Recommends AHK Studio
jethrow

04 Mar 2014, 16:08

nnnik wrote:Nope you need to calculate with your head from time to time.
Sounds like the foot logic :) . I don't even know you, yet I can tell you your forearm is 1 foot. If you doubt, take your shoe off & check.
nnnik

05 Mar 2014, 15:55

Well but im pretty sure im not going to measure the length of ships with my arm.
BTW: http://9gag.com/gag/aAYX6Yd
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

05 Mar 2014, 15:56

hhaha nice :lol:

About the Kilogram.. I think it used to be defined as 1L of distilled water at 4 degrees Celsius with 1 atm of pressure.
but was changed due to some issues... Now it's defined by a Mass of platinum (?) in france in a "bunker"... that ironically erodes over time :|
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
kon

05 Mar 2014, 22:50

joedf wrote:About the Kilogram.. I think it used to be defined as 1L of distilled water at 4 degrees Celsius with 1 atm of pressure.
but was changed due to some issues... Now it's defined by a Mass of platinum (?) in france in a "bunker"... that ironically erodes over time :|
Related :arrow: World's Roundest Object!

tank

05 Mar 2014, 22:54

jNizM wrote:ps how about a (auto-)scale for big pictures?
what would be the ideal size
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

05 Mar 2014, 23:38

@kon oh yeah!! i heard about that..... but still... water doesnt erode if you know what i mean ;) hehe
Zelio

06 Mar 2014, 00:21

"that ironically erodes over time", as you can use half-life of carbon-14 for dating, you can use oxydation propriety for get orginal weight...
But I guess that will change and be computed with the Planck constant, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_r ... base_units , maybe with this new base, US will join the whole... conventions are conventions, abitraries and nothing more, the point is to have the most usefull and the same than the neighbourg (and now to use current(epistemology) universal constant)...

Else, with feedback and old civilization history , it seems more usefull to have (if we can have a brutal and a radical change) :
- a multiple of 2 for scientific and financial exponant, as current dollar/cent or china system because 1000 is to far for human use and mind projection and perfect with current cultur, we selected it naturaly for same cases but not in science... 1, 100, 100 00, 100 00 00 very more visual, children don't count to 1000 but they know the job and the time to go to 100 :D not 1000 candies in a candy bag :D step 1000 is not elegant...
- a new number system with a base 12 (now impossible without a cataclysm or maybe to use base 6) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duodecimal , because it is the first number who is multiple of 2 3 4, and for other shortcuts (math formula simplification in some case, if still gregorian calendar then use it for month, ...), palm open/close = no fingers up = 6, it can be strange but to think in an other base create a real change, and base 10 is not natural or usefull (roman empire and religion legacy = calendar with no sun + number with bad base)... That's why some very old empire used base 6, 12, and 60, 360, or other, for example we have still artefacts as 360 degrees or 12 astrologic signs (thing that needed to be a finite digit, a part of a part of a part)... for example a base 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senary , base 10 is not elegant...

However, we never select the best thing, that is why we speak english (because of hegemony) and not an universal synthetic usefull language (simplified latin with foreign idiom possiblity).
Maybe you don't know that even deaf haven't an universal sign language (because each country have his own language: lsf, asl, ...), idiot argue when they said that a home haven't the same form in africa or in america, but they use an old sign for father who point a moustache when no father (or rare) have one at this days, or a grand-father as a terrorist barb sign...

About order and date, why adjectives are before name (if you have choice in your language), or thousand before unit (not like a computer number)? It is because human need or want to have the most important information before anything (impact and discard, ex:a nice tool, 19.99 dollars (trap)). I guess to have month before days was very good before air post, email only travel during 1 sec whereas letter was weeks on a boat or horse, so it is time to change, as US army who picked 24hours and an sorted date order...
It is not an "english bashing", I don't like my "french system" too, system international can be better, and for example when a french man speaks, name is before adjective sometimes, and years old or tall are not intrinsic (we don't use be), my nation is too focused on the "to be" and not "to have"... if you understand me...

Also we can speack about big numbers, where commas are point but mean comma, where separators are comma but don't mean comma... for example 1 234 567,89 versus 1,234,567.89
Also, the english g, the 7 bar, the strange 4, et cetera...
Nevermind, I surrender !
joedf

06 Mar 2014, 01:27

haha good points there Zelio .... i guess we might as well all speak Esperanto haha ;)
jNizM

06 Mar 2014, 01:59

tank wrote:what would be the ideal size
I dont rescale every images from the inet ;)

or a scale function in the [ img ] -Tag?
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
xZomBie

06 Mar 2014, 12:03

I had a 403 Forbidden today both on ahkscript.org and the forum. Is it me or I was blocked?
tank

06 Mar 2014, 13:45

I think i may disable the client filter it seems to be catching some of the recent browser updates
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

06 Mar 2014, 14:50

@xZombie did you take time to admire my 403 page heheh :D lol
... you're on the naughty list ...
xZomBie

06 Mar 2014, 21:22

joedf wrote:@xZombie did you take time to admire my 403 page heheh :D lol
... you're on the naughty list ...
I keep pressing F5(refresh) when 403 word comes out of the screen... :?
T.T I'll be a "good" zombie... I promise not to eat anymore brains...
:twisted:

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”