Avoiding CAPTCHAs?

Talk about anything
PepeLapiu

Avoiding CAPTCHAs?

Post by PepeLapiu » 09 Mar 2022, 23:45

So I asked this question before and I was told to just clear my browser cache. But that didn't really answer the question.
What's the deal with CAPTCHAs? What are they for?

I'm told they are to avoid automated users . But the site IT team I am dealing with tells me they welcome automated trading. So that's not their reason for using CAPTCHAs. When I see them on their site, they come with a warning they are detecting malware on my machine. But that makes no sense. How is solving a CAPTCHA removing malware?

So I kept pushing and I kept asking what can I do to reduce the amount of CAPTCHAs encounter. They just told me that telling me how to avoid CAPTCHAs would compromise their site security. So I get no help that way.

What the hell are they for? What kind of attack are they preventing?

So far the best I can do is clear my cache every day and set up an alarm when the script encounters a CAPTCHA so I can solve it. But maybe I can better avoid them if I know what they are trying to prevent.

Would staying logging in 24/7 help? Changing browser? Not staying logged in? Browse naked? With a VPN or without? Using Tor?
Last edited by gregster on 09 Mar 2022, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from 'Ask For Help' - nothing to do with AHK.

gregster

Re: Avoiding CAPTCHAs?

Post by gregster » 09 Mar 2022, 23:58

PepeLapiu wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 23:45
What's the deal with CAPTCHAs? What are they for?

I'm told they are to avoid automated users . But the site IT team I am dealing with tells me they welcome automated trading. So that's not their reason for using CAPTCHAs. When I see them on their site, they come with a warning they are detecting malware on my machine. But that makes no sense. How is solving a CAPTCHA removing malware?

So I kept pushing and I kept asking what can I do to reduce the amount of CAPTCHAs encounter. They just told me that telling me how to avoid CAPTCHAs would compromise their site security. So I get no help that way.
If I remember correctly, the website you are trying to automate offers an API. I am sure that using this API is the way they welcome automated trading - like other trading sites. On the other hand they don't like automated users or bots which pretend to be not automated. Using APIs usually reduces web traffic (like unnecessary page reloads), and is much more reliable. Also, captchas might help to prevent automated attacks on that website. Communicating how to prevent them would obviously defeat the purpose. The actual rules when captchas kick in might vary a lot from website to website. But if you are reloading a page very often or show other signs of automated behaviour, that will trigger it sooner or later.

Afaics, this question doesn't belong into AHK's "Ask For Help", and since you were explicitly told by that website to not automate these captchas (or intentionally not told how to get around them), I think we shouldn't continue this discussion here.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”