any more open ahk community? thx

Talk about anything
ccchan234

any more open ahk community? thx

22 Nov 2023, 04:45

hi,

i really found ahk very powerful,
and i at first only modify the LaunchQ script,
and later gpt4 helped me much to make a complementary half of it, using scroll list + search box.

however personally i am angry on some people i met, here and elsewhere,
that i am not going to open source it.

as told before that this forum dislike close source discussion.

may i simply ask where else would be a good place?
thanks.

people working for a open source aim is good,
but human factors may inhibit it.
boiler

Re: any more open ahk community? thx

22 Nov 2023, 15:39

ccchan234 wrote: however personally i am angry on some people i met, here and elsewhere,
that i am not going to open source it.
I doubt many people are thrilled with your posts on this forum either.
andymbody

23 Nov 2023, 01:05

@ccchan234 please help me understand...

1. Autohotkey language is provided to you (all of us) openly and free of charge, at the expense of other people's voluntary time, effort, resources (Lexikos and others)
2. AI is provided to you (all of us) openly (or minimal cost) at the larger expense of other people's time, effort, resources
3. This forum and the knowledge base of hundred's (if not thousands) of contributors is provided to you (all of us) openly/free 24/7. Not to mention the moderators who volunteer their time/effort to provide admin support for this great community.
4. You have used Autohotkey (openly, free of charge), AI, and knowledge provided (at least in part) by others in this community (openly, free of charge), and molded these resources into a unique configuration that you call "a game changer". And this tool you made is so powerful, that you feel like you are "the god" (your words - with a big G)?
5. The recipe for this "game changer" that has made you "the god", is off limits to anyone else (closed-source)?
6. The simple rules of this open/free community are unacceptable? And the enforcement of these rules by moderators is unreasonable?
7. You have decide to move on, but as a final farewell, you are asking this open-community (who you are angry with) to provide a recommendation for a different open-community that will accept discussion of your closed-source code. A community that extends itself, it's code and advice openly to those who refuse to do the same in return?

Is this accurate? Or have I misunderstood?
ccchan234

23 Nov 2023, 01:20

indeed you can distill it into "where can discuss closed source ahk script" thx
ccchan234

23 Nov 2023, 01:26

really off topic, just an e.g. but i doubt coders on both sides of war would like to share.
boiler

23 Nov 2023, 01:31

If you had only asked the question and nothing else, it might be reasonable to expect only an answer to the question. As it is, take what you get. thx
andymbody

23 Nov 2023, 01:49

ccchan234 wrote:
23 Nov 2023, 01:26
really off topic, just an e.g. but i doubt coders on both sides of war would like to share.
Honestly, I would say that opposing sides of a war are called enemies...which is the opposite of community. I don't know of any website where enemies can share information or have community discussions. If that's the relationship you're looking for, I think it's counterproductive. However, I sincerely wish you the best in your search.
ccchan234

23 Nov 2023, 02:17

you know?

some ppl dont live well with others,
so they went away in a ship called mayflower.
not bad for both side.
andymbody

23 Nov 2023, 03:13

ccchan234 wrote:
23 Nov 2023, 02:17
some ppl dont live well with others,
so they went away in a ship called mayflower.
not bad for both side.
What's even more interesting is that people keep arriving (in the thousands) on a daily basis from all over the world, voluntarily. That's one big ship that has been docking daily for hundreds of years. And once they arrive, they rarely leave... wonder why? Open community and cooperation is not limited to code sites.

In a similar way... this site grows with new users every day... I suppose it has it's own Mayflower. Why do they come to this site? Are they fleeing from another site that they are unable to live in harmony with? Or are seeking opportunity that they are unable to find elsewhere? Once they arrive, how many go away and why? Who benefits and who looses when they decide to leave?

I wish I could recommend an open-community site that specializes in discussing closed-source-code. But these two concepts seem to be opposite of each other. I'm not even sure how that would work? What advice could be offered for your particular design, if the design itself is hidden from those offering the advice? Any advice (in that case) would be limited to general advice that can be found with a general google search. Maybe design advice is not the goal?

Anyway, again... I wish you the best.
ccchan234

04 Dec 2023, 23:08

oh yeah,
there is a sub variant of ahk that allow encrypting the script.

i am sure people out there are more open to protecting the script.

some google on this forum found people yelling at using open source library to make close source program.
boiler

04 Dec 2023, 23:54

I guess you’re never going to understand this simple concept. No one has an issue with protecting scripts, discussing how to protect scripts, or discussing scripts that are protected. The only issue is that if you are distributing it to others on this forum (including pointing people to where it can be downloaded), then it needs to be open source.
andymbody

05 Dec 2023, 00:16

boiler wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 23:54
Asking for clarification of your statement... in other words...

... this site is not intended to be a distribution vehicle for (potential) commercial software. Does that sound accurate?
tank

05 Dec 2023, 00:28

Let me be clear and authoritative and perhaps final.
You are free to 'attempt? ' to close your script source. You are free to license and sell or distribute your code in any way the laws of your land allows. As long as you also per gpl3 identify the interpreter source of AutoHotkey.
But there is no way in 20 years that you can actually prevent your code from decompiling by those that know how. No manner of encrypting your script bypasses the fact that. On order to run even if compiled. It must decrypt and run as text. So please cry about it elsewhere. This is an open source community. We want to help you learn and grow. But protecting your code is simply not our concern, especially that it isn't possible

If you post it here, the source must be avail.

Commercial code posting is totally allowed. As long as source is open
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
ccchan234

05 Dec 2023, 03:01

@Tank-CLI-Script can you clarify,
do you all means "open sourced license" e.g. GPL3 or
"available, no matter what type of license"?
thanks
@tank

because i could disclose my code,
but with a license that disallow anyone to run it, distribute it etc.
thanks.

not funny, the radial menu v4's unique license required users to check update twice per year.....
so strange license exists.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”