Why do you use AHK?

Talk about anything
Elusive

Why do you use AHK?

04 Apr 2016, 00:05

What made you get AHK and what are the main scripts you use mostly?

I got this for an alternative way to paste (ctrl+v) and for auto clicking. What more goodness can this program give me :HeHe:
scriptor2016

Re: Why do you use AHK?

04 Apr 2016, 08:41

Put it this way... I haven't found anything it can't do yet
Johnny R

04 Apr 2016, 11:48

I haven't found anything it can't do yet
With AHK you can't build modal windows. I don't know, why...
SvenBent

04 Apr 2016, 13:35

I started using ahk just for its simple but advanced way to make hotkeys/macroes.

The main script i use mostly is my CPU priority enhancer. It makes sure whatever program I'm currently in gets above normal CPU priority so im able to play games even thoug I'm doing heavy brute force compression in the background.

otherwise i use different scripts for different programs/games to automate repetitive routines.
Like fast rushing building in Civ or divide out planetary reserve funds in MoO. Saves me a lot of cramps in my hand
aztec3

04 Apr 2016, 13:43

Basically, I am a lazy person...so if there is a better (and easier) way to do something, I'm for it! I found my current job had a lot of repetitive data entry (e.g. modifying client provided letters to add mail merge reference tags) typing, but now I can increase my productivity, minimize mistakes, and still have time to spend with my cats back home!!! What's not to like!
coolykoen

05 Apr 2016, 03:41

SvenBent wrote:The main script i use mostly is my CPU priority enhancer. It makes sure whatever program I'm currently in gets above normal CPU priority so im able to play games even thoug I'm doing heavy brute force compression in the background.
May i ask if you still have the source of that script? I'm very interested :P
Sojiro84

05 Apr 2016, 09:01

I discovered this app after trying a lot of programs and googling a lot for a solution to find something that would automatically center windows for me. I am a bit OCD and like my stuff pixel perfect and used all kinds of stuff like windowfx to square windows neatly in corners or another program that would center a window with a mouseclick but I kept doing it manually even if it was centered to doubleclick.

So with the help if the forums and a bit of my own I madem a script that centers the active window automatically. It now even works with multi monitors!

I now also use it at work for some other repetitive stuff.
Elusive

06 Apr 2016, 07:32

SvenBent wrote:I started using ahk just for its simple but advanced way to make hotkeys/macroes.

The main script i use mostly is my CPU priority enhancer. It makes sure whatever program I'm currently in gets above normal CPU priority so im able to play games even thoug I'm doing heavy brute force compression in the background.

otherwise i use different scripts for different programs/games to automate repetitive routines.
Like fast rushing building in Civ or divide out planetary reserve funds in MoO. Saves me a lot of cramps in my hand
coolykoen wrote:
SvenBent wrote:The main script i use mostly is my CPU priority enhancer. It makes sure whatever program I'm currently in gets above normal CPU priority so im able to play games even thoug I'm doing heavy brute force compression in the background.
May i ask if you still have the source of that script? I'm very interested :P
I'd also like to know please.
Elusive

18 Apr 2016, 07:48

I'd like to bump this as i am curious in what people use mostly for this.
wolf_II

18 Apr 2016, 08:15

There are two categories why I use AutoHotkey:
  1. hotkeys, watchdogs, tweaking other programs
  2. hobby (solving puzzles, that appear in the forum)
John

18 Apr 2016, 08:27

I use it for almost everything. From simple to more complex scripts at work, related to finances and logistics or when scripting for personal use well I have ~3k scripts over 7 years on my home computer (huge part of that is what could be summed as stupid crap, but still). Simply put there is nothing that comes close to AHK since what you save in execution time with something like c++ you'll save 10 fold (often, not always) in scripting/writing time.
Some times when scripting/writing in other languages, just to test the soundness of my logics I first write it in ahk then translate to the other language, especially when it comes to more complex math issues, but that's more to do with my comfiness with ahk rather than it's 'superiority'.
Last edited by John on 18 Apr 2016, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
wolf_II

18 Apr 2016, 08:29

Johnny R wrote:
Documentation wrote:To prevent the user from interacting with the owner while one of its owned window is visible, disable the owner via Gui +Disabled. Later (when the time comes to cancel or destroy the owned window), re-enable the owner via Gui -Disabled. Do this prior to cancel/destroy so that the owner will be reactivated automatically.
example:

Code: Select all

#SingleInstance, Force
#NoEnv

Menu, MainMenu, Add, Options, MainMenu_Options

Gui, Main: New,, Main
Gui, Menu, MainMenu
Gui, Add, Text, w250 h100 Border

Gui, Options: New, +OwnerMain -MinimizeBox, Options
Gui, Add, Text, w130 h50  Border
Gui, Add, Button, w60 Default, OK
Gui, Add, Button, x+m wp, Cancel

Gui, Main: Show 
Return

MainGuiClose:
ExitApp

MainMenu_Options:
    Gui, Main: +Disabled
    Gui, Options: Show
Return

OptionsGuiClose:
OptionsGuiEscape:
OptionsButtonCancel:
    Gui, Main: -Disabled
    Gui, Options: Hide
Return

OptionsButtonOK:
    Gui, Main: -Disabled
    Gui, Options: Hide 
    MsgBox 
Return
Gio

18 Apr 2016, 10:58

Johnny R wrote:
Care is advised when using "can't" in the same sentence as "AutoHotkey" :lol:

Seriously now, i use AutoHotkey for almost any task relating to windows. From programming full fledged programs with clients that run on multiple computers (DataBase managing functions enable communication between instances) to automating relatively small tasks.

In my company, i currently have:

1 - An application that manages a fleet of trucks (controling costs, usage and maintenance).
2 - An application that displays realtime workforce production of our main warehouse in a TV.
3 - An application that generates QR Codes for box and pallet labels (with info regarding expiration date, number of items in them, etc. to be read by a third party warehouse managing program).
4 - An application that enables data from excel sheets to be automatically entered in a third-party Human Resources program (inter-program automated communication).
5 - An application that automatically enters data from the same excel sheets to another third-party program that handles the company obligations (to automatically schedule workforce payments).
6 - An application that displays the location of clients in Google Earth for the logistics department to control their delivery routes (they have filters to select clients in the same route, etc). Clients are displayed with all kinds of usefull logistic information (route, address, phone, etc).
7 - An application that displays truck paths retrieved via GPS in Google Earth (to compare with client locations, etc).
8 - An applications that displays the location of clients in Google Earth for the commercial team (with filters to select number of orders, ammount ordered in a period, etc).
9 - An application that control the stocks on our secondary warehouse.
10 - An application that controls accounting.

And some tons of other small scripts that i use only in my computer for a multitude of small tasks :)
kczx3

18 Apr 2016, 15:43

Gio wrote:
Johnny R wrote:
Care is advised when using "can't" in the same sentence as "AutoHotkey" :lol:

Seriously now, i use AutoHotkey for almost any task relating to windows. From programming full fledged programs with clients that run on multiple computers (DataBase managing functions enable communication between instances) to automating relatively small tasks.

In my company, i currently have:

1 - An application that manages a fleet of trucks (controling costs, usage and maintenance).
2 - An application that displays realtime workforce production of our main warehouse in a TV.
3 - An application that generates QR Codes for box and pallet labels (with info regarding expiration date, number of items in them, etc. to be read by a third party warehouse managing program).
4 - An application that enables data from excel sheets to be automatically entered in a third-party Human Resources program (inter-program automated communication).
5 - An application that automatically enters data from the same excel sheets to another third-party program that handles the company obligations (to automatically schedule workforce payments).
6 - An application that displays the location of clients in Google Earth for the logistics department to control their delivery routes (they have filters to select clients in the same route, etc). Clients are displayed with all kinds of usefull logistic information (route, address, phone, etc).
7 - An application that displays truck paths retrieved via GPS in Google Earth (to compare with client locations, etc).
8 - An applications that displays the location of clients in Google Earth for the commercial team (with filters to select number of orders, ammount ordered in a period, etc).
9 - An application that control the stocks on our secondary warehouse.
10 - An application that controls accounting.

And some tons of other small scripts that i use only in my computer for a multitude of small tasks :)
These all sound extremely interesting. Especially the ones involving Google Earth and locations/routes.
Jovannb

19 Apr 2016, 02:25

Hi

I'm using it because it is

# simple from an installation point of view

# easy to maintain (on a network share for all users)

# amazing comprehensive

and I can automate almost anything we need in our small company (less than 15 people, civil-engineering domain).

J.B.
AHK: 1.1.37.01 Ansi, 32-Bit; Win10 22H2 64 bit, german
cristiansc93

19 Apr 2016, 22:28

scriptor2016 wrote:Put it this way... I haven't found anything it can't do yet
You can't emulate two cursor inputs at the same time, like when you connect two usb mouses and both show up in the screen. Well... I guess someone could but it won't be efficient in anyway.
codybear

19 Apr 2016, 23:34

I use it to script my daily computer use. Whether that's spamming repetitive key strokes / mouse clicks on games, expand commonly used text acronyms, building little utilities I use, to working on full fledged programs. It's especially useful when writing code or html/css/etc. I am also starting to write some stories, so it's helped me out with certain aspects of that with hotkeys/hotstrings/etc.

Unfortunately during my moving process all of my externals got damaged so I get to rebuild scripts / utilities that I had created over the past 5 years or so. Thankfully I've been able to recreate most that are needed, at least in a quick and dirty way for now. There's only one that has been bugging me lately, which may end up being posted in the help section if it takes me too long to remember how I got it to work.

TL;DR: I use it for anything on Windows; Lost all of my scripts so I'll be on the forum again.
Gio

20 Apr 2016, 12:00

cristiansc93 wrote:You can't emulate two cursor inputs at the same time, like when you connect two usb mouses and both show up in the screen. Well... I guess someone could but it won't be efficient in anyway.
EitherMouse.
Xeo786

22 Apr 2016, 06:54

I use it to route data between excel files, vba was no enough :(
"When there is no gravity, there is absolute vacuum and light travel with no time" -Game changer theory
guest3456

22 Apr 2016, 08:04

here's a use-case that just came up for me

tomorrow there is going to be a gotomeeting webinar that i want to watch. unfortunately i am busy all day and i will miss it. so i've set up CamStudio to record my screen/audio, and i'll have an AHK script running to simply click record and stop at the appropriate time ;)

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”