Dropbox screws us again

Talk about anything
jballi

Dropbox screws us again

17 Dec 2016, 00:27

Received this message from Dropbox today...

--------------------

Your Public folder will soon become a private folder

We’re always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we’ve built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team.

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

In addition to shared links, we have a number of sharing options designed to make collaboration easier and give you more control. To learn more, visit our Help Center.

The Dropbox team

--------------------

Most of the projects that I publish on this forum are loaded to a public folder on Dropbox. Certainly not a huge number of links but still quite a few. I don't mind them converting my public folder to a private folder but why do they insist on deactivating all of the links?! And what about the links in topics that can no longer be modified? Suffice it to say, I'm not very happy with Dropbox right now.

Them be my thoughts.
TLM
GitHub: TLMcode

Re: Dropbox screws us again

17 Dec 2016, 05:00

What ever happened to seamless migration ughhh #facedesk
for direct help, tweet at me: https://twitter.com/CW_DTech
Masonjar13
GitHub: Masonjar13

22 Dec 2016, 17:38

I use pCloud, along with tiny.cc, making it very easy to update links if needed. pCloud has been very reliable for me thus far, and their UI's are much better than DropBox, in my opinion.
My Personal Function Library | Check Out My Computer Rig
Menixator

22 Dec 2016, 19:02

I don't know when it happened but dropbox eventually got phased out for me. I'm a loyal google drive user now.
We live alone. We die alone. Everything else is just an illusion.
jballi

Re: Dropbox Screws Us Again

21 Mar 2017, 13:19

Well, it's happened. The public folder on DropBox is no more. If you were using the DropBox public folder (like I was for AutoHotkey), all of the links to files in the public folder are no good. New links for those files must be generated and re-published. If the links were to files that were published in posts that can no longer be edited, you're screwed and anyone who wanted to click/download those files is screwed.

One thing that I missed when it was first announced is that embedded images are a feature of the public folder. Since the public folder is no longer supported, embedded images are no longer supported. Links to image files are now just plain links that must be clicked on and when clicked, will download the file to the local computer. I'm currently experimenting using imgur as my image host. So far, imgur is very reliable and efficient but I don't like losing the ability to store the image files in a multilevel folder structure.

Them be my thoughts.
TLM
GitHub: TLMcode

24 Mar 2017, 22:32

ug to the ghh
for direct help, tweet at me: https://twitter.com/CW_DTech

Return to “Offtopic”