Which browser do you use?

Talk about anything
timeFlies

Which browser do you use?

09 Nov 2013, 12:36

Which internet browser do you generally use, and why? I use Internet Explorer myself, even though it has an undeserved reputation for being "slow". That may've been the case before, but is most certainly not with the newest versions.

Other than IE, I have Google Chrome installed on my computer for the rare time a page won't load properly in Internet Explorer, and to use a Chrome extension to download Android application *.apk files directly from the Google Play Store so that I can use another Chrome extension to sideload them onto my BlackBerry 10 phone (its Android runtime will run 95% of all Android applications).

I've never used FireFox or Opera, and have no reason to. I'm used to IE so have no reason to switch.
budRich

Re: Which browser do you use?

09 Nov 2013, 14:35

Started with Netscape back in the day. Then IE, then FF, then Chrome. Now I'm back with Firefox, I use it because it's easy to customize. FF also have the best add-ons. Mozilla ftw
joedf

09 Nov 2013, 15:20

...original Firefox user here. I dont dislike any browser. :)
Well actually Netscape was my favorite browser.. :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

09 Nov 2013, 16:14

The browser I started with was FF. I liked it because of the reasons budRich mentioned.
Then I got my new PC that is really slow I switched to chrome.
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

09 Nov 2013, 16:15

Me too sorta... :P
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tidbit

09 Nov 2013, 18:11

started with IE
then netscape
then a few oddball things like Lunascape
then Opera 9
Opera for a long while
then Maxthon 2
Maxthon 3
Opera 12 because M3 started to act up on me.
Maxthon 4

Now I finally use Maxthon 4 (and 5 if/when its out) as my main browser
IE as my backup
Opera 15 as my backup backup.

I tried most major versions of firefox (up until the lame versioning system). always hated it. Nothing good about it.
Don't really like chrome.
it has an undeserved reputation for being "slow". That may've been the case before, but is most certainly not with the newest versions.
IE FTW. It has never been slow for me. I've always tested a cold bootup and went to a site I've never been to before, IE always beats FF, opera and maxthon. it loads everything fast. From what I've gathered, most IE bashers still think IE is at like 6 or 7. so they compare last last generation to current generation. That's like comparing PS1 visuals to PS4. :roll:
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
Avi

10 Nov 2013, 01:17

<---- A Happy Google User
Writes at Dev Letters

Clipjump Clipboard Manager : More Scripts (updated 2019)

Eedis

10 Nov 2013, 21:06

I use Chrome because it is fast and very sleek. There isn't much to it and it isn't too big of a headache to work with. FireFox is my goto browser when doing stuff when I need plugins such as web development and things of that nature.
Science is not about answering questions; it's about finding new questions to ask.
tank

10 Nov 2013, 21:26

chrome has way more pugins and development tools....its more stable and on top of all of thatthe window itself is minimal
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
nnnik

11 Nov 2013, 05:58

I use FF because of the Anti GEMA plugin to view Youtube Videos that are locked in germany.
Recommends AHK Studio
jNizM

11 Nov 2013, 06:07

Code: Select all

Browser: Firefox
Addons:  Adblock Plus, Auto Reload, HTTPS Everywhere, Bluhell Firewall, Self-Destructing Cookies

Browser: Chrome
Addons:  Adblock Plus, Disconnect, DoNotTrackMe, Keep My Opt-Outs

Extra-Tools: SandBoxie
Hosts-File:  http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/hosts
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
Elesar

11 Nov 2013, 09:13

Personal Use: Chrome (Adblock Plus, LastPass, Stylish)
At Work: Chrome where possible (same pluggins), IE where required (Lots of medical sites require ActiveX plugins)

My Issues with IE: Mostly not directly IE related, but rather the sites that were built for IE8 and older that refuse to perform on even newer versions of IE. We have one we have to use that requires IE8. Compatibility mode in IE9+ does not work for these sites, and we have to roll back our Win7 installs to IE8 for these people to do their jobs :/

I have reached out to the companies that have sites like this, and their official reply is "use an older OS and browser, IE6 or 7 recommended, IE8 if that is not possible."
tank

11 Nov 2013, 09:24

Elasar, Unfortunately it is true. there are so many sites out there that write poorly designed sites. and they have development processes that are so expensive that they cant aford to make even the most minisule of changes. The arguement to provide is that if confidential information is exposed because of unpatched unsupported browsers the cost will be well into the millions in fines suites and loss of reputation.
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
kon

11 Nov 2013, 19:30

I use Firefox because it is open source and it has some privacy-minded extensions that I appreciate.

I use the No-Script extension perpetually. It allows me to choose which scripts my browser allows, which effectively acts as a more powerful ad-block and privacy extension at the same time. Basically I block all scripts by default and I use the option "temporarily allow top-level sites by default". It has a ton of settings that you can set depending on your preferences.

I also always use Duck Duck Go for searches and I have their extension for searching because Google is complicit with spy agencies.

And I use Media Hint because Canadian Netflix sucks compared to the US version.

I saw a post on r/privacy today regarding Firefox extensions which I think is relevant: http://i.imgur.com/op4kXmr.png
Morpheus

12 Nov 2013, 07:08

Thanks kon, I updated my extensions with the information from your post.
Alibaba

12 Nov 2013, 11:20

I use firefox...
Maybe there are faster browsers.
But i don't care.

Firefox fulfills my demands... :D
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
ErrorOnLine2

12 Nov 2013, 17:08

I've been using Opera on Win XP for a few years now. I can't do without Opera's high contrast (W/B) under page>style. If someone could tell me where to find that option in IE8, I'd consider switching.

(right clicking desktop>properties>appearance>color schemes>high contrast black isn't what I want and it's not an option)

On a side note, I've heard that FF has become the new IE6. Can anyone verify?
:? :D :roll:
tidbit

12 Nov 2013, 17:45

Maxthon has a similar feature, "night mode" with custom colors. though, Some elements, such as forms, do not obey the rules :(
preview: https://db.tt/M2rwkQd3
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
ErrorOnLine2

13 Nov 2013, 00:41

Hi tidbit,

Thanks for the screencap. I'll be checking out Maxthon over the coming weekend.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”