Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 11
just me

Do we really need 'hidden' users?

31 Dec 2014, 17:26

Since this new forum was born, I'm wondering why some registered users want to be hidden.
joedf
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf

Re: Do we really need 'hidden' users?

31 Dec 2014, 20:50

I don't know, I don't think we "need" it... but, I mean, if they want to be hidden then let them, right? :P
T_Lube

31 Dec 2014, 21:06

I think that they are people that don't really want to be a part of the scene. like maybe they don't think they can help he people on the forum they just want to stick around the edges and pick up some scraps of info to try and play around with it instead of taking a professional attitude towards it. They are not really learning to produce something, just kind of fool around with it.

Of course if you are one of these hidden users and this is totally not applicable please take not offense.
lexikos
GitHub: Lexikos

01 Jan 2015, 03:30

Do we really need visible users?

This is a forum, not IRC. You post a message, someone reads it, someone replies. It doesn't matter whether you and someone are online at the same time. In theory, one can be very much "a part of the scene" without ever being online at the exact same time as another user.

There might be reasons for the online list, but none that I can think of reflect positively on the way I intend to use the forum.
vasili111

01 Jan 2015, 05:01

I think poll should have 3 options:
1. We need and I am using it.
2. I am not using it but I am not against it.
3. We dont need it.

Personally I will pick second option "I am not using it but I am not against it."
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
nnnik

01 Jan 2015, 08:00

I do agree with Lexikos here.
If just one person votes yes we should stick with that decision.
There are circumstances where a person doesn't want to be seen as active because he/she has circumstances where being seen as active could cause problems. (e.g. Poly)
Recommends AHK Studio
Raccoon

01 Jan 2015, 09:28

lexikos wrote:This is a forum, not IRC. You post a message, someone reads it, someone replies.
Speaking of IRC... lexikos... why are you no there? Every time we pesterd you to join, you stay a day then leave. :(
Coco
GitHub: cocobelgica

01 Jan 2015, 09:58

Raccoon wrote:Speaking of IRC... lexikos... why are you no there? Every time we pesterd you to join, you stay a day then leave. :(
Timezone differences?
Raccoon

01 Jan 2015, 10:54

It's been 2 years :lol:
joedf

01 Jan 2015, 11:00

I have not placed my vote. As I have said, do we really need to force something upon people?
vasili111

01 Jan 2015, 13:17

joedf wrote:do we really need to force something upon people?
Agree. Let people choose what they want.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
T_Lube

01 Jan 2015, 13:33

Well I didn't mean to start a riot or anything. My only point was they can if they want, but what are they actually protecting about themselves by doing so? Though I stand behind what I said earlier.
smorgasbord

01 Jan 2015, 13:35

"really" <- explains it all.
we dont really need.
:-p
but we are ok with them.
John ... you working ?
GeekDude

01 Jan 2015, 13:37

I'm wondering why anyone wouldn't want to be hidden. Is having online status helpful in some way? All I can think is that someone will see you as online and PM you for help, which can be very annoying. If they were going to post in a thread you previously posted in, they'd do it whether or not you're online.
T_Lube

01 Jan 2015, 17:19

No not really, except that someone may want to post or start a chat with you because they like they way that you respond to various things that they have viewed. I appreciate knowing when someone who's answers make sense to me is available and looking at things that i have posted. For example I was posting back and forth with lexikos and I didn't post at one time when i was a little pressed for time because lexikos wasn't online but did later under the same circumstances because lexikos was online at that time. Don't dismiss what popularity you may have with those new to a subject, people who really know an area are valuable to those who don't, very much more than you might think.
lexikos

01 Jan 2015, 19:32

nnnik wrote:There are circumstances where a person doesn't want to be seen as active because he/she has circumstances where being seen as active could cause problems.
e.g. being on the forum while being paid by the hour to do actual work. ;)
Raccoon wrote:Speaking of IRC... lexikos... why are you no there?
1. A particular disinterest in certain frequent off-topic banter. 2. I prefer to choose which help requests to reply to based on my level of interest, what I have to offer, and how likely everyone else is to help; not by who happened to be active on IRC at the same time as me. 3. I usually prefer to focus on one task at a time, and with IRC running, that doesn't happen.
Coco wrote:Timezone differences?
Raccoon wrote:It's been 2 years
Yes, I'm in UTC+17260.
T_Lube wrote:For example I was posting back and forth with lexikos and I didn't post at one time when i was a little pressed for time because lexikos wasn't online but did later under the same circumstances because lexikos was online at that time.
I thank you for sticking to the public forum and not sending private messages. Like GeekDude, I hate being singled out for private requests without good cause. Even if it's something only I'm likely to answer, if my answer could conceivably help other users who come across it, I much prefer it to be in the public forum. I also feel that private messages bring with them a certain amount of pressure or obligation, which makes it feel like a chore.

However, had you posted earlier, I might have responded earlier. Although I appeared to be online, it's possible that I'd just left the forum (I leave the browser open) and might not have seen your post until the next day anyway. In that case, the list of online users would have misled you.
joedf

01 Jan 2015, 19:55

lexikos wrote:Yes, I'm in UTC+17260.
:shock: what planet do you live on? I thought that only ±12 hours is of significance... :?
lexikos wrote:I also feel that private messages bring with them a certain amount of pressure or obligation, which makes it feel like a chore.
+1
joedf

01 Jan 2015, 20:09

GeekDude wrote:Planet 2 year time difference
ahhh ok, so relative to new york time (UTC-5) on planet 1 (Earth), Lexikos is actually 1 year, 354 days and 9 hours into the future :O
lexikos

01 Jan 2015, 21:08

2*365*24 = 17520; typo + 10 = 17260. I should have written 17530, but I think the point got across.

Return to “Offtopic”