Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 11
Raccoon

Re: Do we really need 'hidden' users?

02 Jan 2015, 08:23

Lol, there we have it. lexikos is a Venusian :P (there are 243 Earth days to one day on Venus, but they observe longer weekends due to tougher labor laws)

I agree what with you're saying lexikos, on all points. It's just that, for me, IRC is a matter of convenience and suits well with the sort of questions that often pertain to software development -- which are often short queries that require a bit of back-and-forth in order to form the thesis to the actual question at hand. Without being able to establish a synchronization of those innocuous questions one might hesitate to create a forum topic over, the meaningful question can never be asked. This is usually the case when it comes to requesting a feature or inquiring if some behavior is actually a bug before reporting it as being a bug; one needs a few exploratory questions answered first.

This is why IRC is so heavily used by software developers. It's the #1 place for all FOSS discussion, as attested by Freenode's explosion in popularity while other IRC networks have been systematically dying off over the same period.
just me

11 Jan 2015, 10:20

Well, this topic suggests that some visible users want to stay logged in even if offline. So I tend to follow lexikos:
lexikos wrote:Do we really need visible users?
How to close this poll?
joedf
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf

11 Jan 2015, 20:53

Topic Locked and Poll ended

Return to “Offtopic”