Selling my rights for my script

Talk about anything
LalaGhost

Selling my rights for my script

15 May 2019, 11:00

I have been working on a script for a 3D program for some guy. And he says now that he would like to have the script and sell it to the people he reaches with his courses on the internet.

Since I have never dealt with selling my right to my own script. How much can I charge for it?

So far only a sum for me writing the script so he can use it, but not sell it, has been set. What are some standards for that? The price we have agreed on only for delivering the script times 5? Maybe times 10?

I hope you can help me out :)
SOTE

Re: Selling my rights for my script

25 May 2019, 09:29

LalaGhost wrote:
15 May 2019, 11:00
I have been working on a script for a 3D program for some guy. And he says now that he would like to have the script and sell it to the people he reaches with his courses on the internet.

Since I have never dealt with selling my right to my own script. How much can I charge for it?

So far only a sum for me writing the script so he can use it, but not sell it, has been set. What are some standards for that? The price we have agreed on only for delivering the script times 5? Maybe times 10?

I hope you can help me out :)
Seems like you would need to work out a contract with that guy for a percentage. Also, you probably should register your copyright (immediately) for greater protection.

If you can't agree on terms or he won't sign a contract, then you probably should not allow him to distribute your program. You could also consider selling/distributing the program yourself, if you have business knowledge or are so inclined. However, not everybody has a good business sense, want to be involved in sales, or have experience in such areas. Keep in mind that another route to go is freeware and to ask for donations, as a lot people are not prepared to or don't want to handle customer relations, support, bugs, updates, etc... on immediate time frames. You will need to question your friend more to see what he brings to the table in terms of selling the script for you and handling such issues. You should probably talk about a business plan, in addition to a signed contract, if you are planning to move forward with this person.

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”