Walk toggle for Mass Effect Andromeda

Ask gaming related questions (AHK v1.1 and older)
soopytwist

Walk toggle for Mass Effect Andromeda

11 Mar 2019, 14:56

I'm new to AutoHotKey, never used it before. Leaving aside the obvious one of the things that annoys me the most about Mass Effect Andromeda is the walk key. Having to hold Left Ctrl with my pinkie to walk slow, when walking slow seems a natural thing to do in some circumstances rather than running about everywhere like a blue-arse fly. Yeah I could bind it to something more comfortable but I'd rather have a toggle. While Aim and Sprint all have toggles in the games options developers BioWare forgot to add a walk toggle too. Or they just couldn't be bothered. Like they couldn't be bothered to make a decent game.

Anyway, so I need a script that will:

1. Trigger when I press Left Ctrl once
2. The game thinks I'm holding Left Ctrl down so I remain walking until I either...
3. ...press Left Ctrl again to toggle it off... or
4. ...press Shift (sprint)... or
5. ...press Spacebar (jump)... or
6. ...press Left Mouse button to start shooting.

This script could then be used for other games by changing the various key variables. Other games that don't have a walk toggle.
SplatCatAU

Re: Walk toggle for Mass Effect Andromeda

11 Mar 2019, 18:04

My advice is this;
  • Never use a modifier key for anything, especially a toggled key/ability. The chances of having it "conflict" while attempting to do other things is high.
  • Have a look at UCR by evilC (Universal Control Remapper. Remap keyboard, mouse, joystick, all via a GUI! Extensible via plugins written in AHK!), and how it can work with your current keyboard.
  • Use a tap and hold script, if you can, for the "W" key. Set "W" as slow walk and toggles on when tapped for less than 0.5 sec, and runs when held (until released) for more than 0.5 sec.
  • Think about how to use 12 often forgotten keys - F13 - F24.
  • You could spend a small amount of cash on a generic gaming keypad (one handed keyboard/half-a-keyboard) and use it with UCR.
  • Buy a cheap Logitech mouse with 4+ extra buttons and use it with Logitech Gaming Software.
  • It seems as though the more expensive gaming keypads are supported by rubbish software, so think very hard about this option prior to parting with your large amount of money.
Have a look at UCR, here in the AHK forums.
soopytwist

Re: Walk toggle for Mass Effect Andromeda

12 Mar 2019, 14:50

SplatCatAU wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 18:04
My advice is this;
  • Never use a modifier key for anything, especially a toggled key/ability. The chances of having it "conflict" while attempting to do other things is high.
  • Have a look at UCR by evilC (Universal Control Remapper. Remap keyboard, mouse, joystick, all via a GUI! Extensible via plugins written in AHK!), and how it can work with your current keyboard.
  • Use a tap and hold script, if you can, for the "W" key. Set "W" as slow walk and toggles on when tapped for less than 0.5 sec, and runs when held (until released) for more than 0.5 sec.
  • Think about how to use 12 often forgotten keys - F13 - F24.
  • You could spend a small amount of cash on a generic gaming keypad (one handed keyboard/half-a-keyboard) and use it with UCR.
  • Buy a cheap Logitech mouse with 4+ extra buttons and use it with Logitech Gaming Software.
  • It seems as though the more expensive gaming keypads are supported by rubbish software, so think very hard about this option prior to parting with your large amount of money.
Have a look at UCR, here in the AHK forums.
Okay, thanks.

Return to “Gaming Help (v1)”