Autohotkey within the Microsoft Store

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
Weatherlight

Re: Autohotkey within the Microsoft Store

23 Mar 2021, 09:32

Hey :) thanks for the call :).

I am still updating this on a regular bases. I usually check around once-twice per month at the moment (Depends a little bit on how regulary there is an update :)). Currently the version 1.1.33.0.6 is in testing and as soon as I am done with that it will be published :).

Nice to hear that the Store release made it possible for you guys to use AHK :)... makes me a little proud ;):
joedf

23 Mar 2021, 10:19

@Weatherlight Glad to hear! :clap: :dance:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Weatherlight

23 Mar 2021, 14:09

So test passed :). The update is now in certification with Microsoft and the update will be released in 1-2 days :).
joedf

23 Mar 2021, 15:02

Great! I think perhaps we could also provide a link with a note on the download page linking directly to https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/autohotkey-store-edition/9nq8q8j78637

Since as mentioned by @Mortie the Whistler (Emergency Physician) mentioned, it is the only way they can access it for their systems at their hospital.

Thoughts? Reservations?
@tank @lexikos
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Weatherlight

21 Apr 2021, 14:41

So I set your github on Watchlist... just heard about 1.1.33.07 and update is already ready for the store aswell. I am currently waiting for the testing to start and afterwards I will submit it to Microsoft for certification.
TAC109

06 Jul 2021, 19:28

@Weatherlight
A user is having problems running your Store version of Ahk2Exe, which is giving an 'Invalid Memory ReadWrite' error (see issue #80). We have determined that this error happens when the full path of the source file exceeds 63 characters in length. The normal installed version of Ahk2Exe does not have this problem, and compiles source files with a path length greater than 63 characters successfully. I have also compared the store version of Ahk2Exe against the normal version and found that they are identical.

Is there some store setup information missing from the store version of Ahk2Exe? (I see that the AutoHotkey directory has additional store-specific files which are not present in the \Compiler directory.)

Hope you can help with this.
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe
bzzrak

15 Aug 2021, 17:14

Hi, I hope this is the right thread to ask. Would it be possible to put all the Start menu shortcuts into one folder? Autohotkey from the store as is generates around 5 shortcuts which is a mess -- 3 different EXEs, then ahk2exe and finally "Window Spy".
Weatherlight

06 Sep 2021, 03:20

Hey

Just wanted to give a short notice that version 1.1.33.10 ist currently in certification and will be released today or tomorrow :). The issue #80 "'Invalid Memory ReadWrite" has been resolved by you guys:
"Fixed variables being set to NULL in certain rare cases, causing crashes. The only confirmed case being when a string longer than 63 characters is returned from a function and assigned to a variable while AutoHotkey is running as a Windows store app."

So thank you very much.

@bzzrak: Sadly that is not possible for an MSIX/Store application since the installation technology does not support start menu folders :(.
Weatherlight

07 Jan 2022, 03:32

bzzrak wrote:
15 Aug 2021, 17:14
Hi, I hope this is the right thread to ask. Would it be possible to put all the Start menu shortcuts into one folder? Autohotkey from the store as is generates around 5 shortcuts which is a mess -- 3 different EXEs, then ahk2exe and finally "Window Spy".
Good news. With the january cumulative update of Windows 11 the start menu icons can be placed into a single folder within the start menu. I implemented this now and it should work if you run the latest update of Windows 11 :).

Here is a screenshot:
folder_win11.png
folder_win11.png (253.45 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
Last edited by Weatherlight on 16 Jan 2022, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
joedf

07 Jan 2022, 09:27

@Weatherlight Very neat! :+1:
I haven't tried windows 11, but good to see. Thanks for this.
geek

17 Jan 2023, 07:55

@Weatherlight Do you have any plans to package AutoHotkey v2 for the store now that it has had its first release versions?
Weatherlight

24 Jan 2023, 08:44

Hey

sorry for the late reply.

I am still thinking about it... I still analyze AHK2 to see how it can be done and what features I can support.
Descolada

04 Oct 2023, 06:10

Hello,
I've contacted @Weatherlight to discuss releasing a v2 version for Store Edition, and he has given me permission to create another Store Edition. I would also like permission from the AHK team (@joedf?) to do that. It would be in a similar manner as Weatherlights one, where it is clearly marked as "unofficial". If I were to be successful at releasing my version, Weatherlight has agreed to keep his version in the store for at least a few months and then would decide whether to discontinue updates for it.

My version would package both v1 and v2, and include all the UX files which v2 includes (Dash, launcher settings etc). For now I have plans to only release a x64 version, but I will look into the ARM builds as well whether I could include them in the future.

In addition to the normal constraints of an MSIX/AppX package (no UIAccess, containerized environment etc), I've hit upon a constraint I can't easily work around: namely MSIX doesn't allow for the Explorer right-click "New"->"AutoHotkey Script" context menu item to execute a program/script, it can only copy one hard-coded file from the package directory to be the "New AutoHotkey Script.ahk". This means that ".ahk" can be associated with only one default new script template: v1, v2, or neither. I've considered making v2 the default and associating another extension (eg ".ah" or ".ah1") with the v1 template, but then it wouldn't be compatible with the native AHK installation. It seems logical to make v2 the default altogether, and users can manually replace it with the v1 template if they want. Perhaps somebody has any input on this?
joedf

04 Oct 2023, 21:41

Sure go ahead! :thumbup: The only thing I'd ask, if possible, is to provide access to one of the staff, myself, lexikos, or tank.
If the only option is mutually exclusive, I'd default to v2. Otherwise, I no expert of MS store. :roll:
TAC109

05 Oct 2023, 18:57

@Descolada
It seems a bit extreme to set up a separate extension for AutoHotkey v1 just to handle the Windows Explorer 'New' option. As the code for a new v2 is just '#Requires AutoHotkey 2.0' could you perhaps add a comment to that line to change the 2.0 to 1.1 for v1.1. Alternatively you could also include the v1 code block-commented out with suitable enabling instructions for v1 users.

Cheers
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe
joedf

05 Oct 2023, 21:01

Yeah, I'd say just do V2 for various reasons.
Descolada

Autohotkey v2 Store Edition

23 Oct 2023, 23:59

Announcing AutoHotkey v2 Store Edition (unofficial)
Direct link: ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9PLQFDG8HH9D

Features
  • Both AutoHotkey v1 and v2 included
  • Automatic updates via Store
  • Increased security: no virus warnings, semi-containerized environment
  • Possible to install and use in almost any Windows 10+ computer (including S-mode)
How to use
Option 1. Run scripts by double-clicking a .ahk file as normal
Option 2. Run scripts from command line with AutoHotkey.exe script.ahk which selects the appropriate version automatically (using ui-launcher.ahk).
Option 3. Run scripts from command line with AutoHotkeyV2.exe v2script.ahk or AutoHotkeyV1.exe v1script.ahk to run with v1 or v2, bypassing the launcher. Symlinks for these executables are located in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps (or via AHK code: EnvGet("LOCALAPPDATA") "\Microsoft\WindowsApps\"). The real location for the exes is in the restricted WindowsApps folder, which should not be used directly nor modified.

To use v2 in VSCode using thqby's extension, open extension settings and set the Interpreter Path to AutoHotkey.exe.

Known limitations/problems
  • Currently available only for 64-bit Windows. If there is need for 32-bit version then I'll consider releasing it (currently it's used by <1% of users, so I didn't); and if somebody develops an ARM version of v2 then I can also add that to the Store.
  • UIAccess mode is not available, but running as admin is possible (with sufficient privileges, of course)
  • Depending on user privilege, registry writes might be virtualized. This means that standard users' registry writes may not be visible globally, but only to scripts ran with AHK Store Edition. All virtualized registry writes are deleted after uninstalling the Store Edition.
  • New script context menu item sometimes not visible in Windows 11
  • When using thqby's VSCode extension then if Interpreter Path isn't AutoHotkey.exe, registry and file system virtualization is disabled (meaning for example that right-clicking AHK tray icon and selecting WindowSpy doesn't open WindowSpy).

All source code for the project is available on GitHub.
Last edited by Descolada on 28 Oct 2023, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
joedf

24 Oct 2023, 20:54

Awesome! Glad this is up and "running" (so-to-speak) :+1:

Return to “About This Community”