Repost: My post in the deleted forum thread

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
fincs

Repost: My post in the deleted forum thread

30 Sep 2013, 14:19

Hello everyone, I'm reposting the post that got deleted as part of the thread that got deleted in the autohotkey.com forum:
fincs wrote:For the last weeks I've maintained a low profile in this issue, but I think it is now
the right moment in which to chime in and express my opinion.

I strongly oppose any forking and/or renaming of the AutoHotkey project. The
Community should always stay united no matter what happens to it. If any of these
two proposed actions were to be taken, it would signify the death toll of AutoHotkey,
both as a language and as a Community. And I personally do not want this to happen, ever.
AutoHotkey means a lot to me, both technically and personally.

I believe that the way to solve this problem is very simple: to create a non-profit
organization, an "AutoHotkey Foundation" which would take care of running the site.
Ownership of autohotkey.com, its data (especially the forum) and all associated media
(GitHub, Twitter, maybe others...) would be transferred to it. As for the people who
would run it, responsibility on hosting would rely on somebody who would be willing
to voluntarily accept the costs (tank has already volunteered on this). As for development
of AutoHotkey itself, it is obvious that Lexikos is the person to take charge of this.
As for website administration (including the forum), a person with good reputation would
be selected for the job. If the current situation repeats, the admin may be stripped of
his or her power by the person providing the hosting, and a new admin would be selected.

AutoHotkey has to continue being both a wonderful automation tool for non-technical people
and an extremely powerful programming language for real programmers. If it is really necessary,
the 'AHK' abbreviation may be made more prominent, just as PHP used to stand for "Personal
Home Page tools". There are so many things that have not been explored with AutoHotkey yet,
that it would be really sad to see both the language and the Community pass away. If AutoHotkey
has been alive for 10 years, and has grown from its humble roots to what it is now, I fail
to see why it should be left to slowly and agonizingly demise and die. The AutoHotkey language
and Community must overcome this, and stay true to its name, ideals and identity.

"Let's help each other out"
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
Hamlet

I agree

02 Oct 2013, 12:04

with you !
Alibaba

Re: Repost: My post in the deleted forum thread

02 Oct 2013, 19:03

I think there exists a backup of the complete thread somewhere...
(at least for the first 7 pages)
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine

Return to “About This Community”