PHPBB thats the current forum software found here
74%
other? please explain and justify
6%

Total votes: 191
tank

Re: autohotkey.com

22 Apr 2015, 17:42

based on the enhanced administration tools and the available conversion tool I intend to explore this option on a privat server to examine it as a viable option
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
hoppfrosch

23 Apr 2015, 00:26

Will there be a new poll on which BB to be used? Having had a democratic poll - and choosing something completly different may not be the best practice to get satisfied users ... I personally don't really mind about which BB to use - use simply the most user friendly :-)
tank

23 Apr 2015, 08:38

I need to check it out and see if it will technically be feasible first but i would then offer a poll
Check Out WebWriter
guest3456

23 Apr 2015, 10:19

hoppfrosch wrote:Will there be a new poll on which BB to be used? Having had a democratic poll - and choosing something completly different may not be the best practice to get satisfied users ... I personally don't really mind about which BB to use - use simply the most user friendly :-)
does it really matter? you said yourself you don't really mind

i think another democratic poll is a waste of time. end users can't tell the difference other than the theme they see. they don't know crap about what functionality exists in the forum other than the basic stuff that every forum is capable of

i say just let the people who will be managing/running it choose what is best and easiest for them

the problem with the move to IPBB on autohotkey.com was that 1. it was unnecessary because there were no issues previously and 2. it was not tested fully and bugs weren't fixed. moving to ANY new platform is gonna mean new bugs and time devoured getting everything right. thats why very often its pointless to change unless there is a very specific reason to do so

tidbit

23 Apr 2015, 15:39

guest3456 wrote:does it really matter? you said yourself you don't really mind

i think another democratic poll is a waste of time. end users can't tell the difference other than the theme they see. they don't know crap about what functionality exists in the forum other than the basic stuff that every forum is capable of

i say just let the people who will be managing/running it choose what is best and easiest for them
He said it, not us!

I kinda agree with that, though.
What do normal users need? not much. A clean, easy layout and some formatting options and other minor things that all forum engines have.
IPB/PHPBB/MYBB are all basically exactly the same layout, which highly depends on the theme. It's not really a software/engine thing.
However, when people start asking for features like code folding and whatnot, that falls on admins. When we need to clean stuff up (delete posts, move, merge, mark spam, etc) and warn people thats mods/admins. not normal users.
It should be easier for "higher ups" since normal users only have the basic tools that are already easy and are the same no matter what engine is used.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
hoppfrosch

24 Apr 2015, 00:57

guest3456 wrote:they don't know crap about what functionality exists in the forum other than the basic stuff that every forum is capable of
Not quite true - the other forum has some features which are requested from the beginning here (like "answered" tag), and still are not available here. It seems not to be as basic as you say.

Anyway I agree - I just wanted to be the advocatus diaboli and remind to the democratic rules ...
joedf

24 Apr 2015, 06:09

Sadly, they don't have native mobile support or notifications.... :P
We will have to mod it ..

Vanillaforums has mobile support I think
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
vasili111

24 Apr 2015, 06:37

DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
fischgeek

24 Apr 2015, 08:26

I would appreciate mobile support. I use the current mobile version a lot.
tank

24 Apr 2015, 08:46

the whole mobile support thing has kept me in a tizzy to say the least. Personally i dont think we need it, but every time i have had this conversation it has met with very vocal push for it.
Check Out WebWriter
geek

24 Apr 2015, 08:49

I've used the forum from my mobile before, and frankly I haven't gotten much use out of it. It's pretty hard to AHK from a mobile phone to start with. Additionally, modern smartphones are pretty good at displaying desktop webpages
fischgeek

24 Apr 2015, 09:27

It's not the smart phones that do a good job. It's the css behind the site. If the site is properly setup then it should be mobile responsive. Having a separate style sheet just for mobile (like our current mobile mode I believe) is okay, but having a fully responsive site is a much better setup and from what I have seen there are a lot of phpbb sites that are mobile friendly out of the box.

Having said all that, not having a mobile theme wouldn't be the end of the world. Because, like GeekDude pointed out it's rather difficult to write code in the forums on a phone. I just use it to write just text based responses that don't require code and wait until I'm back at a computer to respond with code.
geek

24 Apr 2015, 09:29

I was talking specifically about sites that have not been optimized for mobile
joedf

24 Apr 2015, 19:09

@vasili111 i know about that, it's outdated :(

i always respond with mobile, since im always on the go. i barely have time to even touch the pc... :(
other than the admin tools problem with phpbb, i dont really see any other issue with it...
it is opensource, good support, notifications, and native mobile support. i mean sure, it would be nice to have an "easier" admin panel... (imho, not that bad actually)
The main page and forum is a priority over admin tools..

anyway, ill stand with whatever i guess :P
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
geek

08 May 2015, 08:27

What just happened‽‽‽
Also, it seems that email alerts are broken now

Edit: And the submit button, apparently. Both email alerts and submit send you to a 404 page
fischgeek

08 May 2015, 08:42

And, for some reason the main logo is for Halloween?
jNizM

08 May 2015, 08:45

Wtf you ("admins") do on the forum?

1. An info before upgrade forum would be nice!!
2. A read only modus while you upgrade for hours would be nice too!
3. Test before you broke something like on autohotkey.com (e.g code boxes with file names are broke atm | boards3 links to board [404])

4. Please disalbe new inputs to this forum before you broke more than now!

5. To the Topic
From the german speaking Admin / Moderators
Forum Admins:  Configuration and moderation of topics
  • Alibaba (Most time inactive)
  • HotKeyIt
  • nnnik
Moderators: moderate topics and spam removal
  • Seidenweber (Most time inactive)
  • IsNull (Inctive)
  • Bentschi (Most time inactive)
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
vasili111

08 May 2015, 09:11

What is going at forums? Some announcement or explanation from the forum administration would be nice.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
diaewad

08 May 2015, 09:42

lol....this is quite the debacle, eh?
geek

08 May 2015, 09:43

@jNizM

No need to be so upset, it's not likely this was even intentional. I would guess that someone just hit the wrong switch when trying to do non-live testing. Even if this was intentional, it's not as if we're owed a minimum level of quality, or anything really for that matter.

Return to “About This Community”