Solved Button proposal Topic is solved

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website

Do you think that Ask For Help section needs Solved button?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 27
vasili111

Solved Button proposal

15 Jan 2016, 11:27

After merging forums, activity in Ask For Help section has substantially raised. In one day there is activity in more than 40 topics. It is very hard to guess which help request is solved and which is not. Looking in 40 topics in one day to only see is it solved or not is waste of time. Looking on only the number of answers does not actually gives any informations about is it solved or not and in that case is uninformative. So as a result there can remain not solved topic only because people who can help cant find which topic really needs help.
I suggest to make Solved button for topics which can be pushed by topic starter and moderators. Also there should be sticky topic in Ask For Help section which tites says to use Solved button if help request was solved. Many forums have such functionality also some has it with addons. I think such popular forum engine as phpBB will have such functionality built-in or with some addons. It will be nice if we activate such functionality or install such addon only for Ask For Help section. Also some of that kind of addons have functionality to mark best answer. In my opinion it is not very useful and should be turned off.
What you thing about that?
Please vote for proposal and post your ideas :)
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
joedf

Re: Solved Button proposal

15 Jan 2016, 17:16

Thanks for the link, but apparently it's for phpbb v3.0.x :(
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
vasili111

16 Jan 2016, 02:31

joedf wrote:Thanks for the link, but apparently it's for phpbb v3.0.x :(
Here is new updated version for phpBB v3.1.4 :)
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ic_solved/
https://github.com/tierra/topicsolved
joedf

16 Jan 2016, 11:34

Let's just wait a little while I want to see more people disscus/vote on this
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jiggunjer

19 Jan 2016, 02:11

I think I'd rather have more sets of eyes on a problem and lower throughput. Often the quality of 'solutions' is raised by important comments. We don't want these people to skip the topic just because one particular person (the OP) found a reply useful. Often google leads me to forum posts that end in a dead end because OP found a workaround for his unique situation, leaving us googlers in the cold.
Exaskryz

19 Jan 2016, 08:54

Working on juggunjer's comment, I acknowledge that it is possible readers skip over an "Answered" post even if they would have a better solution. If there were a way to have dynamic or multi-tiered tags regarding something being answered, that would be nice. But I don't know exactly how to set it up.

I'm thinking of using color-coding, and/or counts. Not Answered, Answered, Perfectly answered. (If anyone knows of a good adjective for the yellow orange, that'd be great.) Counts could be marking multiple posts as answers if you see them both as similar caliber answers -- [1 Answer] or [3 Answers] tags.

But it may be best to just let users do as they do now and edit their post titles when they are satisfied (or not) with what has been posted.
joedf

19 Jan 2016, 08:59

This would go with topic rating.
lexikos

25 Jan 2016, 04:50

How would the person applying the tag know there could be a better answer out there?

I do not think ratings would be useful; I would not trust users to rate topics consistently, or according to any criteria that is relevant to me.

I suppose that the "Solved" tag is mostly of benefit to users who:
  • Create topics and haven't got a satisfactory solution yet; or
  • Answer topics and want to prioritise topics which are as yet unsolved.
If you want the chance to provide a better answer, you can choose to open the topic even if it is "Solved". I often do. Sometimes I provide more feedback on the answer than the question.

Simple is good. We don't need to reinvent Stack Overflow.
vasili111

25 Jan 2016, 06:31

Simple is good. We don't need to reinvent Stack Overflow.
Totally agree. I am against topic ratings too. I don't see anything useful that can bring topic rating to forum.
It is simple:

Code: Select all

Solved = Solved
Partially Solved != Solved
Solved button will indicate that topic is already solved for person who asked for help. That topic does not needs any additional attention from people that are looking to help other people.
If someone will google that question later and finds that for him question is solved partially, then it is better to create new thread and explain exactly what kind of help is needed.

I think we should focus on needs of person that is asking for a help right now and not on any other potential cases that could be useful if someone else will find that question.
joedf

25 Jan 2016, 10:22

Okay.
So this :) ?

Solved button: Yay?
Ratings: Nay?
vasili111

25 Jan 2016, 12:06

I think:
Solved button: Yes
Ratings: No
:thumbup:
vasili111

13 Jun 2016, 00:46

joedf
When to expect "Solved Button" ? :)
According to poll many people want to see it.
joedf

13 Jun 2016, 10:08

Yes, no problem! :+1:
Installing this. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/topic_solved/

EDIT: uh oh...

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
ALTER command denied to user '*******'@'11.111.11.111' for table 'AHK_forums' [1142]

SQL
ALTER TABLE `AHK_forums` ADD COLUMN `forum_allow_solve` tinyint(1) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL
Xtra

13 Jun 2016, 10:59

Joedf if a solved button is implemented make sure the user can see it. :shock: :wave:
tank

15 Jun 2016, 18:56

yea the db is locked down intentionally
lets schedule a window of time for this change and i will elevate the permissions temporarily
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

16 Jun 2016, 08:58

No problem, the extension is already uploaded it only needs to be Enabled/Installed from the ACP. I will not be home till late Friday night this week. This is a one-man job, but I could do it. :b
tank

18 Jun 2016, 07:52

It is no longer a one man job. Because we have permissions locked down. DDL statements will now be a 2 man job to prevent accidents
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

18 Jun 2016, 15:40

tank wrote:It is no longer a one man job. Because we have permissions locked down. DDL statements will now be a 2 man job to prevent accidents
Alrighty, are you able this monday evening? :)

Return to “About This Community”