[Poll] Official Discord server

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website

Should we have an official Discord server?

Poll ended at 23 May 2017, 11:22

Yes!
11
55%
No.
3
15%
I don't care.
5
25%
(Other, post in comments)
1
5%
 
Total votes: 20
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

27 May 2017, 12:05

Whatever you see fit. However I think it would be best with a direct link to the Discord invite.
User avatar
joedf
Posts: 7696
Joined: 29 Sep 2013, 17:08
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

27 May 2017, 12:32

Hmmm... that's good too. I forgot about it being connected to irc haha. Okay, you're right haha :b
vasili111
Posts: 747
Joined: 21 Jan 2014, 02:04
Location: Georgia

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

27 Jun 2017, 12:42

Discord become very popular recently and in many places replaces irc.
Discord for ahk is very good idea :)
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
User avatar
nnnik
Posts: 4466
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 01:01
Location: Germany

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

27 Jun 2017, 13:34

Well yeah our Discord channel is now very popular. It should be as large as the IRC by now
Recommends AHK Studio
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

27 Jun 2017, 14:05

nnnik wrote:Well yeah our Discord channel is now very popular. It should be as large as the IRC by now
Yeah there's more activity in the Discord channel than in the IRC now.
User avatar
Capn Odin
Posts: 1308
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 19:45
Location: Denmark

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

27 Jun 2017, 15:47

It is kind of cheating, since the IRC is scraped to the discord server.
Please excuse my spelling I am dyslexic.
User avatar
joedf
Posts: 7696
Joined: 29 Sep 2013, 17:08
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

27 Jun 2017, 18:48

I guess you're right haha
User avatar
nnnik
Posts: 4466
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 01:01
Location: Germany

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

28 Jun 2017, 00:24

Yeah but there is less activity in the IRC than in the main Discord chat.
We didn't consider the irc channel to be part of that statistic at all.
In fact I think tht would only add to the irc channels activity.
Recommends AHK Studio
anros1
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Dec 2017, 06:03

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

13 Dec 2017, 07:39

Hi all.
Sorry for off topic. Ive setup a soundboard bot on my discord server. I want to be able to press a button(s) and have it type the command for the bot to play the sound. I have no idea how to use AHK, and haven't saw a similar thread . if anyone could send me the code for it, I would really appreciate that. thanks.
BoBo
Posts: 3299
Joined: 13 May 2014, 17:15

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

13 Dec 2017, 08:50

anros1 wrote:Hi all.
Sorry for off topic. Ive setup a soundboard bot on my discord server. I want to be able to press a button(s) and have it type the command for the bot to play the sound. I have no idea how to use AHK, and haven't saw a similar thread . if anyone could send me the code for it, I would really appreciate that. thanks.
It might make sense to get in touch with Runie via PM as he seems to be the administrator of the above mentioned Discord-server.
User avatar
Delta Pythagorean
Posts: 566
Joined: 13 Feb 2017, 13:44
GitHub: DelPyth
Location: Somewhere in the US

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

13 Dec 2017, 09:30

BoBo wrote:
anros1 wrote:Hi all.
Sorry for off topic. Ive setup a soundboard bot on my discord server. I want to be able to press a button(s) and have it type the command for the bot to play the sound. I have no idea how to use AHK, and haven't saw a similar thread . if anyone could send me the code for it, I would really appreciate that. thanks.
It might make sense to get in touch with Runie via PM as he seems to be the administrator of the above mentioned Discord-server.
I might be also of some help. I have created my own bot, DelBot, to help me and to have fun. I may not be the best at python, but I am willing to help with just about anything you need.

- [AHK].......: 1.1.33.02 Unicode 64-bit
- [OS].........: Windows 10.0.18362
- [GITHUB]...: github.com/DeltaPyth
- [PAYPAL]....: paypal.me/DelPyth
- [DISCORD]..: Delta#3324

Remember to use [code]CODE[/code] for your multi-line scripts.
Stay safe, stay inside, and remember to wash your hands for 20 seconds!
BoBo
Posts: 3299
Joined: 13 May 2014, 17:15

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

13 Dec 2017, 12:14

Delta Pythagorean wrote:
BoBo wrote:
anros1 wrote:Hi all.
Sorry for off topic. Ive setup a soundboard bot on my discord server. I want to be able to press a button(s) and have it type the command for the bot to play the sound. I have no idea how to use AHK, and haven't saw a similar thread . if anyone could send me the code for it, I would really appreciate that. thanks.
It might make sense to get in touch with Runie via PM as he seems to be the administrator of the above mentioned Discord-server.
I might be also of some help. I have created my own bot, DelBot, to help me and to have fun. I may not be the best at python, but I am willing to help with just about anything you need.
Gotcha! :o (So be aware that I think about to PM you for a challenging python <> AHK conversion as well :shh: 8-) )
aqua_flare
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Apr 2020, 03:03

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

12 Apr 2020, 03:06

I missed this vote however I am against this concept as I have experienced in this discord a sense of elitism out of the community and the active dismissal of issues that are common without pinning solutions to them. Even if archived answers are maybe out of date at least they are provided and found and can be reposed and discussed again. With this discord they are snooty and the log is filled with new users being ignored while questions and answers are running hours later by people who know the answer but instead make snob unhelpful remarks.

:terms: :terms: :terms: :terms: :terms:

PS: I made an account just to make it clear; a discord like this turns people away from the program.
User avatar
nnnik
Posts: 4466
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 01:01
Location: Germany

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

12 Apr 2020, 04:24

As explanation:
Its against the Discord TOS to inform publish or share software that is "Botting, Auto" or similar (not a direct quote but from memory).
Essentially this is to prevent sharing programs used to cheat in games.
So the discord server doesnt answer question related to games, thats pretty much all we have to do to comply with TOS according to Discord.
I imagine that the person above got turned away because they asked for a cheat script.
Recommends AHK Studio
User avatar
joedf
Posts: 7696
Joined: 29 Sep 2013, 17:08
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

12 Apr 2020, 19:06

@aqua_flare
Hi there, I am very sorry for any injustice you feel you may have received. I do not really use the Discord AHK server, but if you do find any unfairness or misconduct on the forums please send a PM to the staff or myself.

Otherwise, please refer to @RUNIE or @nnnik. I trust that they are capable and understanding. :+1:
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

17 Apr 2020, 10:43

aqua_flare wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 03:06
I missed this vote however I am against this concept as I have experienced in this discord a sense of elitism out of the community and the active dismissal of issues that are common without pinning solutions to them. Even if archived answers are maybe out of date at least they are provided and found and can be reposed and discussed again. With this discord they are snooty and the log is filled with new users being ignored while questions and answers are running hours later by people who know the answer but instead make snob unhelpful remarks.

:terms: :terms: :terms: :terms: :terms:

PS: I made an account just to make it clear; a discord like this turns people away from the program.
We don't "pin solutions". If you need to search through previously solved issues, use the forums. A chat room inherently isn't designed for what you're describing.
We always welcome ideas for improving the server. So why haven't you suggested this in our suggestions channel instead of coming here to complain?

You also seem to think we work for you - we don't, and neither do the helpful people on this forum. Don't be salty because no one wanted to help with your issue.
kyuuuri
Posts: 321
Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 19:20

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

20 Apr 2020, 15:58

The problem with discord is that it's easier for users to complain and cry about people not helping them or people not posting the exact code they need.
These kind of people are the ones that ask things like "Hello <paste 50 lines script here> doesn't work help me please".
I don't mind helping people, but I hate helping that kind of user (I mean the ones that expect help without reading and complain when someone gives them a link to the docs instead of rewriting their code for them). There is a lot of these users because of how noob-friendly ahk is.

That's why you will get A LOT of people wasting your time with reports like these.

There is A LOT of helpful people on Discord. For example I was trying to implement RSA for months and a user came and made the entire script for me because I showed everything I tried and couldn't make it work. This person even helped me afterwards when I encountered bugs, he even set up a VM to test it on w7!

With this said, I think the discord server is necessary because it reduces the questions posted on the forum that could be easily solved if people actually read the docs.
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: [Poll] Official Discord server

20 Apr 2020, 16:50

Locking this thread as the poll has been over for years.

Return to “About This Community”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests