74%
other? please explain and justify
6%

Total votes: 190
jNizM

Re: autohotkey.com

11 Mar 2015, 01:34

@fincs
+ dont forget the old german archive http://ahkscript.org/germans/forums/index.php
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
tomoe_uehara

11 Mar 2015, 01:47

Voted for IPB.
It looks so bad and broken because it left unmanaged overtime.
If you want to compare IPB to phpBB, look on another active forum for comparation, not at the broken autohotkey.com

tank

11 Mar 2015, 07:40

Do you have a specific example tomoe? I have not as of yet found any good examples of. Coding forums using iipb
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Coco

11 Mar 2015, 08:38

I believe AutoIt uses IPB, their code boxes is similar to ours here. Neowin has a programming subforum and it's not that bad. I guess it's all about the theme. Perhaps we can outline/list the most important features(UI, ease-of-use, maintenance, etc.) needed and base the decision from there...
Elesar

11 Mar 2015, 09:15

I voted PHPBB, as it has proven a good match for our community over the years. I did also check out the neowin forum that coco linked, and IPB configured like that would work as well, with a bit of work toward the code boxes (Expand/Collapse, Select All, Copy options).

I honestly have no real preference so long as we don't lose functionality or readability in the name of being pretty/modern.
vasili111

11 Mar 2015, 10:48

fincs wrote:Repost:
I wrote:My opinion is the following:
  • The current landing page of ahkscript.org should be transferred to autohotkey.com.
  • The old forum (at autohotkey.com) should be locked and kept solely as an archive at archive.autohotkey.com
  • This forum (at ahkscript.org) should be transferred and accessible at forum.autohotkey.com.
  • The documentation (at ahkscript.org) should be transferred and accessible at docs.autohotkey.com.
  • The download section (at ahkscript.org) should be transferred and accessible at dl.autohotkey.com.
  • ahkscript.org should be repurposed as an informational website about the AutoHotkey Foundation.
  • A redirect system should be set in place so that:
    • autohotkey.com/forum, autohotkey.com/community and autohotkey.com/board point to archive.autohotkey.com (after appropriate translation of URLs, which poly seems to have successfully set up).
    • ahkscript.org/boards point to forum.autohotkey.com.
    • ahkscript.org/docs and autohotkey.com/docs point to docs.autohotkey.com.
    • ahkscript.org/download and autohotkey.com/download point to dl.autohotkey.com.
  • The AutoHotkey GitHub organization should be deleted along with the AutoHotkey/AutoHotkey repository, and the ahkscript GitHub organization should be renamed to AutoHotkey (if that's possible).
  • Daily or weekly backups of all the data at the new autohotkey.com should be taken in case any admin decides to kick out all the other admins; so that it is possible to move back to ahkscript.org with little to no data loss.
+1
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
tank

11 Mar 2015, 12:09

autoit has its own custom theme
Check Out WebWriter
jethrow

11 Mar 2015, 12:18

TLM wrote:I have to vote for IPB due to its built in responsive mobile features..
tomoe_uehara wrote:... It looks so bad and broken because it left unmanaged overtime.
If you want to compare IPB to phpBB, look on another active forum for comparation ...
Coco wrote:I believe AutoIt uses IPB ...
I agree with these, particularly in concerns to the mobile version. The current autohotkey.com mobile site is fantastic, IMO. It feels about like using an app ... which is important in an age of smartphones.

I'd be open to other options as well, I just don't have suggestions. Also, concerning keeping the site basic, keep in mind that the target audience is not programmers ... it's everyday computer users who want to become power-users. I'd venture to say most would like to see a modern, if not cutting edge website. I personally think our current ahkscript.org forum page is boring ... though having multiple theme options helps that.
tank

11 Mar 2015, 12:34

lets not forget our users are in fact PC users and while mobile may still be important i am utterly against using that as a justification for anything. whatever we choose should try to offer mobile options but its more about the PC user.
Autoit enables IE users to run code directly from the browser. If we are to try and do something "cutting edge" maybe it should be around customizations for coders. such as but not limited to embedding a browser based editor for code. prepackaged UDF. Lets not make the microsoft mistake and focus to hard on mobile and too little on our actual market of user
Check Out WebWriter
jethrow

11 Mar 2015, 13:42

I should clarify that the mobile aspect is more for the regular forum users. Case in point, I am posting this from my phone. This is because I have notification sent to my phone - and when I get a notification, I'm typically not running to the computer to type a reply.

11 Mar 2015, 14:17

I happen to like boring - this (ahk) is about getting things done, therefore I prefer a straight forward forum - as a user I have myriad of options to customize nearly anything I like if I want by using Stylish or other tools.

But if you do want something radically different I wouldn't mind using Discourse as suggested by one user
http://ahkscript.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2307 although I don't know how workable it is for "code"

But good old boring phpbb suits me now and no doubt will still suit me just fine for the next five years :-)
guest3456

11 Mar 2015, 15:57

contrary to fincs, i think the autohotkey.com homepage is much better than the ahkscript.org homepage (minus the non working example code. poly must have forgotten AHK's comment character)

Elesar

11 Mar 2015, 17:00

guest3456 wrote:contrary to fincs, i think the autohotkey.com homepage is much better than the ahkscript.org homepage (minus the non working example code. poly must have forgotten AHK's comment character)
Those of us with less-than-perfect vision could have a hard time with the background image, as well as the lack of emphasis on the forum link (I know, its bold, but it doesn't stand out much to me).

The overall layout is good, but do something else with the top section:
  • Don't overlay text on the image.
    Get a clearer image that won't cause issues for some people (makes me think I don't have my glasses on).
    Put an obvious emphasis on the forum link...we DO want people to use the forums, right? Got to see them to know they are there...
Or....just go with ahkscript's home page. It works great for me :ugeek:
vasili111

11 Mar 2015, 17:47

guest3456 wrote:contrary to fincs, i think the autohotkey.com homepage is much better than the ahkscript.org homepage (minus the non working example code. poly must have forgotten AHK's comment character)
I think that background image makes it more like the webpage of consulting corporation rather than programming language webpage.
Elesar wrote: Those of us with less-than-perfect vision could have a hard time with the background image, as well as the lack of emphasis on the forum link (I know, its bold, but it doesn't stand out much to me).
Agree. For some people it can be hard to read.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
lexikos

11 Mar 2015, 19:27

I think removing the image makes a world of difference.

I just replaced #333 url(back.jpg) with #345 in the background css (using Chrome dev tools).
Elesar

11 Mar 2015, 20:35

I like that quite a bit actually.

It helps the link to the forums stand out, keeps the layout, and looks professional.
guest3456

11 Mar 2015, 20:50

lexikos wrote:I think removing the image makes a world of difference.

I just replaced #333 url(back.jpg) with #345 in the background css (using Chrome dev tools).
+1 looks great, just needs the logo somewhere

obviously links and text and such can be modified

TLM

11 Mar 2015, 22:16

yes, no image looks much better.
The existing image is kind of stock anyway and not really relevant to what AHK does or is about.
geek

11 Mar 2015, 22:19

And the dots cause terrible Moiré patterns on certain browsers at some resolutions
joedf

11 Mar 2015, 23:48

This feels like chaos right now.....
ok ok,
+1 for jethrow, I have to admit, that the mobile theme is much more attractive. But, i believe this issue can be resolved with an upgrade to phpbb v3.1
+1 for lexikos, much better without image, I think will simply adapt that homepage + adding some missing content
+1 fincs, yes that is a great to-do list, will definitely be considered.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Return to “About This Community”