maybe
5%

Total votes: 120
SOTE

Re: New forum sections proposal.

08 Apr 2019, 07:42

jeeswg wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 20:29
- Since you posted, the C++ subforum was renamed to C/C++.
- I looked through the Other Programming Languages forum, and the most common occurrences were C# and Python.
- I have noticed some CLR (C#) stuff in the past, and reasonably frequent C# stuff on the forum, plus there is IronAHK, and work by lexikos and evilC. So actually, there's a pretty good case for a C# subforum.
- As a side note, since the forum is written in PHP, there could be a PHP subforum.
The C# related content is everywhere. The more you dig into it, the more there is to find. Plus with C# and .NET showing signs of actually becoming cross-platform, the popularity or people mixing it in will likely pickup.
nnnik wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 03:11
Despite the C in front of its name C# is not that closely related to C.
Putting it into its own subforum rather than the C/C++ forum makes more sense.
Yes that's correct, but was referring to C# in a more relative sense in comparison to other programming languages. There's just so much C# material on the AutoHotkey forums, that it should be consolidated somewhere. If not with C/C++, then it having it's own subforum could be a good idea.
joedf

08 Apr 2019, 08:28

Yeah, I’ve used C# quite a bit in the past... it’s c-like but it’s rather different in most respects :b

We can add C# if everyone is for it. :+1:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
SOTE

10 Apr 2019, 03:29

joedf wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 08:28
Yeah, I’ve used C# quite a bit in the past... it’s c-like but it’s rather different in most respects :b

We can add C# if everyone is for it. :+1:
Yes, you should add it. From the previous comments, looks like there is agreement that C# can be part of or have a subforum.
nnnik

10 Apr 2019, 04:31

Yeah indeed - I havent looked into CLR or similar a lot but it seems interesting.
Something I would love to see is a section to discuss the automation of programs build with specific frameworks/languages.
That would probably help people a lot with some starting guidelines that will help them to make clicks work.
Recommends AHK Studio
jeeswg

13 Apr 2019, 14:37

Great work adding these new forums, thanks.

Btw what happened to 'General AutoHotkey'?

This post could be moved to ASM:
ASM: ASM (assembly language) to machine code via FASM (flat assembler) - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=49638

'ASM' and 'C#' could be added to 'Subforum(s):' (for Other Programming Languages), here:
AutoHotkey Community - General
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=16

Thanks.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joedf

13 Apr 2019, 20:21

Done! :+1:
Also where exactly should the general ahk go and what is the description text?
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
SOTE

14 Apr 2019, 19:43

Looks nice. I think it's great that the C's have their subforums. Over time, hopefully people can focus putting related content in there, versus scattering it all over different parts of the forum. Makes it much easier to read and learn from.
SOTE

16 Apr 2019, 16:52

Sorry, but I don't understand "General Discussion". We have "Off Topic", so don't they serve the same purpose, in terms of non code related discussions? If a person wants to discuss something other than about programming, wouldn't they go to "Off Topic" to do that? If they want to discuss something related to AutoHotkey, it seems like they would then choose something under AutoHotkey (from the Board Index), and be more specific.

When making threads in "Off Topic", it at least makes it clear what's going on, and where things can be discussed that don't deal with code. Lastly, "Off Topic" is under the section heading of "General", when looking at the Board Index, so that seems to kind of insinuate generalized discussion.
joedf

16 Apr 2019, 18:21

Idk myself :|
I just added it, no one had spoken against it :/
tidbit

16 Apr 2019, 19:09

"seems like they would then choose something under AutoHotkey (from the Board Index), and be more specific"

and what if that thing isn't a script, ask for help, bug report, etc?
but you know, like:
webinars
... not listing them all again. as shown in the spoilers here: https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=179748#p179748

its general off-topic / misc discussions that are ahk related, but fit nowhere else.
"off topic" in an AHK forum would be non-ahk chat. all of the ones pointed out above, and many many many more, are very AHK related.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?
tidbit

17 Apr 2019, 10:56

I moved a few from Offtopic -> General, all those were on page 1. since they were on page 1 I decided to leave a shadow/redirect in Offtopic. I'll do more later, they probably won't get the redirect treatment since they are already fairly hidden.
rawr. fear me.
*poke*
Is it December 21, 2012 yet?

Return to “About This Community”