UNOFFICIAL AutoHotkey Sites

Discussion about the AutoHotkey Foundation and this website
tank

UNOFFICIAL AutoHotkey Sites

23 Dec 2019, 11:48

It was bound to happen and perhaps it has been going on for quite some time. Unofficial sites that look like us but are not.

AutoHotkey is of course open source and anyone may fork it and host their own site. We happily acknowledge and support this.
this korean fork is an example. They are their own entity entirely separate from us and we co-exist peacefully. They refer downloads back to us as the official version. Most importantly they do not pretend to be us.

It has recently been brought to my attention that one or more providers have been attempting to fool visitors into thinking they are us, but presenting an infected copy of the executable. they had hotlinked content from us soaking bandwidth. I have disabled this permanently

Let me set the record straight for any visitor.
AutoHotkey owns and operates only autohotkey.com and ahkscript.org. If you download executable code from any domain but https://www.autohotkey.com there is a fair chance that you are downloading infected code.

Some warning signs to be aware of.
domain of download link is not autohotkey.com
forum urls are not in the format of https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/pagename.php?querystring

List of known bad actors. do not use this sites
autohotkey.fr

Known safe alternate sites
http://www.autohotkey.co.kr

Please if you become aware of alternate sites please post them here. I will vet them directly
Last edited by joedf on 03 Mar 2023, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed topic type from 'Global' to 'Announce'
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
TAC109

Re: UN official Autohotkey Sites

23 Dec 2019, 15:40

What is this 'hardenize' icon? I don’t see it when going to https://www.autohotkey.com/ using Safari on an iPad, nor in Windows 10 using Edge or IE11.
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe
tank

23 Dec 2019, 16:18

At the bottom of the page
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
TAC109

23 Dec 2019, 16:41

Oh... right!
Merry Christmas
My scripts:-
XRef - Produces Cross Reference lists for scripts
ReClip - A Text Reformatting and Clip Management utility
ScriptGuard - Protects Compiled Scripts from Decompilation
I also maintain Ahk2Exe
Subaru

25 Dec 2019, 14:19

Thanks for the heads up, though I always pretty much stick with main domain, no matter the site. Little late, but Merry Christmas to everyone.
zopfan

08 Jan 2020, 08:32

@tank
You're saying,
"AutoHotkey owns and operates only autohotkey.com and ahkscript.org. If you download executable code from any domain but https www.autohotkey.com there is a fair chance that you are downloading infected code. "

Broken Link for safety

But I was wondering how come anyone own "example.com" and not own "www.example.com"? How come you say "autohotkey.com" is valid and genuine, but if we download anything from "www.hotkey.com", there are much chances of it being infected!! Could you pls clear the doubt!!
guest3456

08 Jan 2020, 11:33

zopfan wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 08:32
@tank
You're saying,
"AutoHotkey owns and operates only autohotkey.com and ahkscript.org. If you download executable code from any domain but https www.autohotkey.com there is a fair chance that you are downloading infected code. "

Broken Link for safety

But I was wondering how come anyone own "example.com" and not own "www.example.com"? How come you say "autohotkey.com" is valid and genuine, but if we download anything from "www hotkey com", there are much chances of it being infected!! Could you pls clear the doubt!!
both
autohotkey.com
and
www.autohotkey.com
are the same

he said:
If you download executable code from any domain BUT https www.autohotkey.com
meaning:
If you download executable code from any domain OTHER THAN https www.autohotkey.com there are much chances of it being infected

zopfan

09 Jan 2020, 00:11

very sorry for the unnecessary noise created by me. I surely misread.
slechtwere

26 Jun 2020, 10:39

tank, I suggest to change the title of this thread because UN is seperated from Official.
When I first saw it, I was thinking about United Nations Official Autohotkey Sites! :wtf:
joedf

Re: UNOFFICIAL Autohotkey Sites

26 Jun 2020, 11:24

Good point ahah
I've edited the title :+1:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
BannerStore

28 Jun 2020, 11:17

Tank,

Thanks for the report. I don't want to sound anal but I think it's important. Your writing is a little bit confusing. When I read it, some sentences I interpret the exact opposite of what you are saying. You notice that some above were similarly confused.

I think it's because how you organize your sentences. Most people overuse lead-ins such as but, also, thus, etc. But, I think you should use more of them.

Finally, thanks for all the fabulous work that you do. We all appreciate it.

John
Momeos

21 Jul 2020, 15:53

could you help me with this ahk so im trying to use a ahk for csgo and it works when im out of the game but when i tab in it dosent work is there a way to fix this
joedf

21 Jul 2020, 16:13

This is not the place for this. Place post your gaming / scripting questions here:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/posting.php?mode=post&f=18
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
joekingcool

27 Dec 2020, 16:09

this might be a dumb question but, is the Autohotkey_H from github safe and official? since its not from your site?
gregster

27 Dec 2020, 16:26

joekingcool wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 16:09
this might be a dumb question but, is the Autohotkey_H from github safe and official? since its not from your site?
It's not the main release, but it's a fork from the main verssion, maintained by HotkeyIt, who is one of the admins of this website, autohotkey.com. Obviously, we also support this fork by providing a subforum, and we recommend it for users who want to use multi-threading.
Is it official ? At least not in the sense that it is considered the main release which is recommended for most users (that main version is also hosted on github and mostly maintained by lexikos, another admin of autohotkey.com). This choice was made by the community years ago, but could theoretically change some day in the future.
Is it safe ? Well, it's open source as well - anyone can inspect its source code (which shares a lot code with the main release) and compile it for themselves (or alter it first). Afaik, it differs mostly in order to supply multi-threading (although there are also other goodies), and is otherwise compatible to the main release. But I would consider HotKeyIt responsible for the changes made in the fork. I think, you already met him in the forums.
joekingcool

27 Dec 2020, 17:00

thank you the clarity. its not that i didnt trust hotkeyit or the autohotkey_H, just dont know much about github and how to verify i guess they are the actual author not someone pretending to be that author. i guess as long as someone dont create a dumbie site that mimics the look of github, the authors who made the apps, but put tainted versions of autohotkey_H. i try to carefully look at the web address when i download something, but others might not. and was wondering why it wasnt in the download section of autohotkey.com. basically concerned about fake github site. Many thanks for all the hard into both projects!!!
rickyang11

26 Jan 2021, 08:33

that"s good idea.
Wpq

02 Mar 2021, 04:28

FYI - autohotkey.fr is not registered anymore (and therefore the URL based off it won't work anymore)

As a French I am ashamed that someone would register a rogue autohotkey.fr site.
BoBo

04 Mar 2021, 12:17

@Wpq So, why not invest 5€/year to register it, just to be on the save side? We could have a crowdfunding campaign if money is an issue here :mrgreen:
What about our fellow Quebecois (or look-alikes, @joedf?)??

Vive l'Auto[H]otkey!
gregster

04 Mar 2021, 12:22

Why should we register another random autohotkey domain? What about all the other domains ?

Keep it simple. Let's just say that autohotkey.com is the only official one.
If we start registering other random domains, we'll still have confusion which ones are official, and which are not.

Return to “About This Community”