Someone needs to write a keyboard driver for AHK.

Discuss other useful utilities, general computing tips & tricks, Internet resources, etc.
Raccoon

Someone needs to write a keyboard driver for AHK.

04 Jan 2015, 07:19

Just putting this out there.

If someone in the community has experience with writing driver software; AutoHotkey really needs a driver that can be controlled via script in order to circumvent so-called "anti cheat" measures that prohibit games and software from receiving simulated keystrokes. With a system level driver that by all accounts "looks like a keyboard", AutoHotkey will be able to behave like and have the resemblance of a real keyboard.

There are members in the community who are likely willing to put up a bounty for this effort.
Nextron

Re: Someone needs to write a keyboard driver for AHK.

04 Jan 2015, 08:23

I'm already annoyed punkbuster kicks me when it detects AHK running for game unrelated reasons (although I am glad it's no longer cause for being banned). I can think of benign reasons to interact with games, but actually optimizing AHK to circumvent anti-cheat measures will likely result in increased countermeasures (like not being allow to run the AHK process).

If a driver should be written, I think an input driver would be more beneficial than an output driver, for example to distinguish between keyboards or support extra buttons not supported by AHKHID. But using drivers means the requirement for increased access right on the computer and less script portability.
Raccoon

04 Jan 2015, 08:42

If such a driver is written, it would be capable of working with all scripting languages and not just AHK.

As far as being kicked or banned for running a given process, it should be possible to disguise AHK from detection.

The primary reason I use AHK within certain games is to augment my input devices' capabilities from what the game developer believes is normal. It's not normal for me to repetitively click on a hundred buttons for hours on end; this induces repetitive stress injury and carpal tunnel syndrome, and it's poor game design. Yet, the game developer waves his liabilities for my medical expenses, and in doing so, waves his right to dictate how my fingers interact with my keyboard and mouse. If I can tap a few keys rather than wring my wrist all about the mouse pad with a painfully swollen mouse finger, I shall. And my doctor agrees.
kon

04 Jan 2015, 09:10

Assuming it is even possible to accomplish this, do we really want AHK to be known as a premier cheat provider.
It would only be a matter of time before the anti-cheat engines caught up, and with AHK being a small volunteer community, I doubt it would be long before the cheating arms race was lost.

I actually don't have a problem with using AHK in single player games. The only one you are robbing the experience from is yourself. One of the first things I did in AHK was automate a flash game. It helped introduce me to the rewarding hobby of coding. However, anti-cheat measures are there to protect the paying customers of games who want to have a fair experience when competing against other players. I think it would be unwise for AHK to be associated with multi-player cheating.
Raccoon

04 Jan 2015, 09:38

The problem here is the nomenclature you're using. It's actually quite impossible for AutoHotkey to allow a user to "cheat".

To cheat is not to have advantage over an opponent... It's to have unfair advantage. I'll give you some examples.
  • Things that are not cheats:
  • Buying a larger and more expensive monitor so you can see more gaming area, at higher refresh rates, to improve your reaction times and see things other players can't see.
  • Building a faster computer with an expensive graphics card to improve response times, making you faster than your opponent.
  • Upgrading your internet speeds and networking equipment to reduce lag and latency, so you can kill your opponent before he has a chance to attack.
  • Keyboards with programmable macro keys and mice with 20 buttons and wheels, so you can do more things than other people with fewer clicks.
  • Scripts that allow you to remap your keys and do more things than other people with fewer clicks.
  • Scripts that perform mindless repetition for you while you take a pee break or a nap.
  • Hiring a Chinese kid or a sibling to play for you while you take a pee break or a nap.
  • Things that are cheats:
  • Magically obtaining 999,999,999 gold by exploiting a bug or weakness in the game's design.
  • Defeating your opponent without skill, effort or merit and well outside of the game's parameters.
  • Winning when it's impossible to lose.
There is nothing immoral or wrong about upgrading your computer hardware, software and peripherals to give you an advantage or edge over your opponent. This includes software that you've written and not just software written by mega corporations like Microsoft or Logitech or Nvidia.
Blackholyman
Facebook: socialjsz
Google: +Jszapp

04 Jan 2015, 18:11

Do remember that scripts can also be used for:

Speed:
  • React faster than a human
    Unhuman like target acquisition
    Auto-fire
Memory reading/writing:
  • Maphacking
    Display contextual information such as the health, name, equipment
    Lots more not listing it here
Removal of game elements:
  • Gun recoil
    Bullet spread
    Other visual effects
Unsporting action:
  • Disconnecting
    Chicken
    Rapid Fire
    Reward collector
And lots of other thing like that. ( one of the first scripts i made in my free time was also for a game )
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
joedf
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf

04 Jan 2015, 20:01

Although, I must say an AHK driver sounds cool!
temp_user1

18 Apr 2015, 21:13

Hello Guys,

I had a war with the most secure anti-cheat system on the market implemented in games. It was called... uhm DragonNest... *thinking* HackShield. Insane program, tell ya that. I gathered together many data before SGDI took over this game and they are alot more calm with remapping.
I used AHK in that time aswell to dublicate hotkeys and remap some others.
I worked with AHK this way:
1. Independent of window keybroad-casting
2. System-level user based written code
3. Fake system properties. (Hidden .exe within another program)
So I played Hide&Seek with HackShield for few months. Was fun but the virtual keystrokes were visible to the game in any ways.Though. I blocked their functions with an AntiVirus program named... uhm *thinking* Eset. Very good thing. Tell ya that. My boss's company used that program. It can log actions taken by desired .exe's, any action. You can analyse the game's protection that way and simply block requests taken by. And I tell you one thing: HackShield is more a hacker program rather than a protection one. It is almost a shame that that program is legal.
Alot fun. Still: Talkin' much in my head atm.
To come to the point: Ever heared of TESORO gaming keyboards. They have implemented software with DirectInput methods: Meaning !physical! keystrokes by keyboard driver. Cheers.
vasili111

19 Apr 2015, 03:36

Mouse driver will be nice too.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
vasili111

19 Apr 2015, 04:00

temp_user1
I did not know that eset node had such functionality. It will be very useful for tracking suspicious files behavior.
DRAKON-AutoHotkey: Visual programming for AutoHotkey.
temp_user1

25 Apr 2015, 13:35

Yes, any activity can be logged with ESet.
evilC

27 Jul 2015, 06:21

I totally agree with you - banning AHK from doing something that expensive mice or keyboards can do via their software is the "Unfair" bit in my book. It's basically segregating the haves and have-nots.

While we are at it, I would love a joystick driver as well, that can sit between a physical joystick and the OS, and alter the data sent by the physical stick (ie invert an axis, apply a deadzone, remap a button to a key etc) - the kind of stuff you can do with expensive sticks, but not cheap ones that don't come with programming software.
The best solution we have in AHK is to read in the physical joystick, and manipulate a vJoy virtual stick to mimic the actions of the physical stick, but with alterations. This is all fair and well, but often the game will still see the movement of the underlying physical stick.

I have been speaking with Shaul (vJoy author) about this for a while, and while he has some driver experience gained from writing vJoy, he does not know how to achieve this.

I would also kill for improved input support in AHK - The joystick input code needs rewriting (Doesn't support all stick inputs, does not support up events for buttons) as does the Hotkey GUI Control (Very limited feature set).
JJohnston2

25 Oct 2015, 03:32

I wonder if this would be a jumping off point for doing a hardware driver.

Return to “Other Utilities & Resources”