Permanent Domain

Community news and information about new or upcoming versions of AutoHotkey

Which permanent domain would you prefer?

Poll ended at 04 Oct 2013, 18:07

ahkscript.org
68%
ahkcommunity.org
32%

Total votes: 41
tank

Re: Permanent Domain

17 Oct 2013, 10:43

joedf can you see about making the background of your logos transparent?
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
Zelio

17 Oct 2013, 10:55

Other little thing, sorry I am boring... I understand about .com/.org/.net, but if you buy .info then you have to buy .biz too...
All new scam are with .biz , and in reality nothing has be done to regulate this extension domain, therefore it is a generic top-level domain as .info, unrestricted as just an extension for registrar lobbies...
tank

17 Oct 2013, 10:57

i did not have to buy .biz when i bought .info
Check Out WebWriter
lexikos

17 Oct 2013, 17:01

I don't think either one is/was worth buying.
joedf

17 Oct 2013, 19:11

tank wrote:joedf can you see about making the background of your logos transparent?
here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcxsqx1cvfl6g ... ogos01.zip ;)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
sinkfaze

17 Oct 2013, 22:41

Since it's still AutoHotkey we're talking about, shouldn't that be mentioned in the page title?

Instead of "ahkscript.org" in the header, "AutoHotkey @ ahkscript.org," for example?
joedf

17 Oct 2013, 23:15

@sinkfaze you do make a point :P
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
guest3456

18 Oct 2013, 08:46

sinkfaze wrote:Since it's still AutoHotkey we're talking about, shouldn't that be mentioned in the page title?

Instead of "ahkscript.org" in the header, "AutoHotkey @ ahkscript.org," for example?
+1

i think you should just keep the existing logo

joedf

18 Oct 2013, 09:28

guest3456 wrote:i think you should just keep the existing logo
I dont disagree, but it was only a response to this:
tank wrote:...but perhaps now is a good time to explore a slightly different look. That is what i was suggesting. Not necesariyl that i am going to change the look but its a good time to see ideas and evaluate them fairly
Just for fun ;)
Alibaba

18 Oct 2013, 09:48

guest3456 wrote:i think you should just keep the existing logo
No, i think it's ok to use "ahkscript.org".
We should clearly distinguish from the other forum.
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
tank

18 Oct 2013, 09:48

I agree that there is only one product. Consider tho if all Linux Distros or Apache distros used the same logo.

This is to become at least in part a distribution of AutoHotkey. I know that change is hard. look at what it took to get us to decide to do this in the first place. For us to remain a community nothing needs to change i think your correct. but what is it to be a community. Imagine you know 2 twins and you called them both "ted". they dress themselves the same they talk the same but for whatever reason you like one of them better.

I feel strongly that there must be some level of separation. but i am not the ruler here. but we are preserving the brand recognition with the imagery and the suggested logo also serves to distinguish our unique identity. These last couple years have been hard.

Many of us spend a great deal of time in these boards not only supporting but socializing. for many of us these boards are more important than facebook. This is where our friends hang out. where we can talk to other weirdo's just like us.. Believe me I am hypersensitive to this fact. So i will not inflict (to do anything against the will of the community ) any change that doesnt have the majority support. but i also cant help feel like not changing the logo is kind of half arsing it

The home page will change. out of necessity. we must have updated (and alibaba has found ) accurate reviews information. We must have a press release section and a foundation profile. the last 2 will be separate pages. the profile must state our purpose and offer some history as to how we got here. it must be tastefull accurate and not attack its predecessor. I think back to how Chris described his differences with Autoit. I would be willing to bet there was a bit more open revolt and arguement than he ever let on. but the important and accurate historical note that there were un resolveable development directions was clearly stated. and he demonstrated respect for that past everywhere. but he also changed. he made the painful and clear break that was necesary. doing the same will actually serve to respect his legacy much more than grappling at the past like some sort of pool of zombies. Our attempts to capture old forum content is more for the purpose of not loosing 10 years of knowledge. it is not about preserving identity or history. we can only respect history. and Chris's split for Autoit was both classy and an excellent model for us

I encourage everyone to continue talking about your thoughts on the look and feel of the site. I encourage open debate and the expectation that once we have come to some sort of consensus that i will act in the interest of that consensus not my personal preferences
Check Out WebWriter
just me

18 Oct 2013, 10:36

"Automation. Hotkeys. Scripting." is standing for Chris' original idea to enable non-programmers to automate their processes. But over the years AHK has become a powerful all-purpose scripting language. Isn't it time to change the logo to "Scripting. Automation. Hotkeys."?
joedf

18 Oct 2013, 10:39

Oh well :) I have released the logos... Take your pick ;)
timeFlies

22 Oct 2013, 22:15

just me wrote:"Automation. Hotkeys. Scripting." is standing for Chris' original idea to enable non-programmers to automate their processes. But over the years AHK has become a powerful all-purpose scripting language. Isn't it time to change the logo to "Scripting. Automation. Hotkeys."?
It definitely needs to stay as "AHK". "SAH" or "SAHK" bears little resemblance to "AHK", and I think it's important to keep that brand recognition consistent. And even though AHK has become a "powerful all-purpose scripting language" it still has that original goal of enabling non-programmers to automate their processes. Look at me, for instance. I first discovered AHK back in March '13 and had ZERO programming experience, but with the excellent documentation it only took me a few weeks to get the hang of everything.

I haven't been very active with AHK for several months (university has that effect on life--leaves no time for anything else), so only just realised today that there was a new forum. Personally, I didn't have any issues with the old "Poly" forum itself, but I didn't like how Poly had full control and took forever to fix some issues. If everybody is going to come here then I will too.

As for what was discussed a few pages back about whether to have a separate forum for AHKv2 or just have a sub-forum, I think it makes more sense to have a sub-forum to aid discovery.

And if everybody here is going to move to this forum, you should all post a short description of what happened and what the issue with the old forum is in your signatures on the "Poly" forum, as well as a link to http://www.ahkscript.org.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10.
joedf

22 Oct 2013, 22:19

chaz wrote:And if everybody here is going to move to this forum, you should all post a short description of what happened and what the issue with the old forum is, as well as a link to http://www.ahkscript.org.
Ouuuupps! I guess I should do that :P
just me

23 Oct 2013, 02:48

Chaz wrote: And even though AHK has become a "powerful all-purpose scripting language" it still has that original goal of enabling non-programmers to automate their processes.
I think it's still one of the goals, but not 'the goal'. Chris' original goal stands for AHK 1.0 (1.0.48.05). And that's the reason he was never willing to integrate the advanced features of AHK_L into AutoHotkey. As far as I understand this forum primary will support AHK 1.1 (AHK_L) and (hopefully) AHK v2. That is why I mean "Scripting. Automation. Hotkeys." would be an adequate slogan. It doesn't lock out non-programmers.
timeFlies

23 Oct 2013, 07:46

just me wrote:
Chaz wrote: And even though AHK has become a "powerful all-purpose scripting language" it still has that original goal of enabling non-programmers to automate their processes.
I think it's still one of the goals, but not 'the goal'. Chris' original goal stands for AHK 1.0 (1.0.48.05). And that's the reason he was never willing to integrate the advanced features of AHK_L into AutoHotkey. As far as I understand this forum primary will support AHK 1.1 (AHK_L) and (hopefully) AHK v2. That is why I mean "Scripting. Automation. Hotkeys." would be an adequate slogan. It doesn't lock out non-programmers.
That's precisely what I just said. My wording indicates this.

16 Nov 2013, 15:07

Why didn't you call it ahk.org? Its available I think
nnnik

16 Nov 2013, 16:54

Because AHK is an shortname for Anhängerkupplung.
So if you search AHK you'll never find ahk.org.
But if you search for AHK script you'll find this site.
Recommends AHK Studio
lexikos

16 Nov 2013, 18:50

When I search for "AHK" the first result is autohotkey.com, and there are several other results referencing AHK files. I think that if anyone searched specifically for "ahk script", it would be because they already know what the site is called and have forgotten which TLD it uses. But in that case they could just guess .com and they'd end up in the right place. Furthermore, when I search for "ahk script", ahkscript.org is on the third page, and even then only because there's a thread with "AHKScript" in the title (about this forum).

So basically, I don't buy your explanation nnnick.

Return to “Announcements”