Permanent Domain

Community news and information about new or upcoming versions of AutoHotkey

Which permanent domain would you prefer?

Poll ended at 04 Oct 2013, 18:07

ahkscript.org
68%
ahkcommunity.org
32%

Total votes: 41
tank

Permanent Domain

03 Oct 2013, 18:07

So there has been a ton of support for the new site. I cannot thank you all enough. :D

I never in my wildest dreams thought I would see a day when it would be necessary to abandon our old domain. :twisted: :evil: For whatever the reason things are not getting better and Poly has ignored all plea's to resolve or allow someone else to resolve the technical issues.

AutoHotkey is a powerful brand and reputation. No one wants to take away from or change it. However, we have to do something fast. I registered auto-hotkey.com as a temporary place to give us some where to communicate about the problem without Poly maliciously deleting the conversation as he has done recently. I don't know his motivations. What I do know is within hours of me inviting the participants of that conversation to this forum. Many of you started asking for the entire forum structure and you flooded over. An overwhelming and supportive response. I have taken steps to ensure that no one persons absence can create a situation where a technical issue thus divides the community ever again. We are scrambling to get this site fully operational. I have great help. Nearly every Admin has come over and more than half of them have full forum administrative powers. As I expected they are listening and reacting to your needs. A few of those have FTP access to the server. Thank goodness because in one of our rapid updates I broke the log in today and left to run an errand. Within minutes of the report in IRC the problem was fixed all without me ever even getting a chance to look into it. Open Source WORKS!!!. I cannot promise there wont ever be technical issues. but I do promise to keep several able persons with access to fix them. After years of growth AutoHotkey is a known recognized brand and is finally seeing the light of day in the corporate world. There are few but a growing number of professional scripting jobs emerging. We must not loose that momentum. The choice of a new permanent domain is critical. how can we still be AutoHotkey but at a different domain that doesn't confuse the Google searchers and the old timers alike? What domain clearly says we are still AutoHotkey just not part of autohotkey.com. After much debate I am listing the top 2 for a public vote. I WILL GO WITH THE WINNER. This is after all OUR Community. We are its FOUNDATION and we can never let someone threaten it again.

When I purchase the new domain i will setup a redirect so that no one has to change a shortcut or bookmark.

LONG LIVE AHK
VIVA la REVOLUTION
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

Re: Permanent Domain

03 Oct 2013, 19:16

tank wrote:LONG LIVE AHK
VIVA la REVOLUTION
Yes! Viva La Revolution! Bueno... bueno.. :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Alibaba

03 Oct 2013, 19:41

Great speech tank!
Thanks for the new forum and the new domain, nevermind which of both it'll be!

In this sense, "viva la revolution" and long live the ahk community!
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
T00M

03 Oct 2013, 22:02

PointCloud

03 Oct 2013, 22:12

This is fantastic news! I can't express enough how much relief this movement has brought me. It is going to be my biggest contributor to learning the language. I at this time can't contribute much to the community except for positive vibes. I pretty good at that. :) So...Thank you Tank and I thank the folks who are helping create a place where people can learn and be a part of something bigger then themselves.

Viva la Revolution!!!
tank

03 Oct 2013, 23:03

jethrow wrote:May I ask why .org vs .com?
Cost and most open source use .org
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
jethrow

03 Oct 2013, 23:05

How much would it cost to get both? Might be worthwhile, even if the .com is just a redirect.
joedf

03 Oct 2013, 23:25

jethrow wrote:How much would it cost to get both? Might be worthwhile, even if the .com is just a redirect.
good point..
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

04 Oct 2013, 00:40

We also have Autohotkey.info
Recommends AHK Studio
just me

04 Oct 2013, 01:02

Voted for ahkcommunity.org

would like ahkscripting.org

LONG LIVE AHK
Blackholyman

04 Oct 2013, 01:05

Voted for ahkcommunity.org

as well, as this is a community made site...

long live AHk and its community!
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
jNizM

04 Oct 2013, 01:10

How about in short with redirect to main?

ahk.??
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
Alibaba

04 Oct 2013, 04:30

I don't understand the point in this whole redirect thing.
What is it good for? To make the forum more popular?
If someone is searching for the community site he will use a search engine, probably google.
The old forum didn't had any redirects too (AFAIK) and yet it was well known.
jNizM

04 Oct 2013, 04:49

I never use google for sites I know!
I just type auto-hotkey.com in the address bar (omnibox)

eg with short-url
With redirect --> type ahk.com --> open site auto-hotkey.com
(faster to connect and easier to remember)
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
jballi

04 Oct 2013, 05:16

AHKScript versus AHKCommunity. I kind of like the first because it ties the product (AHK) with what the product is (a "script"ing language). The second somewhat limits the name to a forum for AHK.

Them be my thoughts.
maphew

04 Oct 2013, 05:24

jNizM wrote:I never use google for sites I know!
I just type auto-hotkey.com in the address bar (omnibox)

eg with short-url
With redirect --> type ahk.com --> open site auto-hotkey.com
(faster to connect and easier to remember)
All or almost all 3 letter top level domains are not available, or if they are they're for significantly more money 'cause of domain squatters. In any case, http://www.ahk.com is some kind of telecommunications consulting company and http://www.ahk.org is blank, but still owned by someone.

----
I haven't voted because I'm really just passing by, an AHK end user and not someone who will spend a lot of time in the forums except when I need help trying to solve a problem. That said, I would go with ahkscripting over ahkscript, because it's the ing which is important. It's active, dynamic, ongoing, and participatory. Script, to me, sounds like it would be about the language itself -- the syntax, the features, super elite coder stuff -- while Scripting is what you do with it.
Zelio

04 Oct 2013, 06:03

To discard some doubts :

If we select the first choice then search engine will split name as a ahk+script domain, and we will be associate to "AHK" and "script" words in priority, in my point of view "community" is more far than "script". In USA, favorite si to don't use a "-", not as in France, but seems guys did test and they are compute as same (google modify anchor).
In other hand we don't need to use "community" if we use a ".org" else it is a repeat or a redundancy, for example it is like "www.wikipedia.org" or "www.craiglist.org". And it is more cheap , some dollar gain...
I voted for the best compromise "www.ahkscript.org", maybe I would prefer a ".com" but the first choice focus and concentrate the most things that we wanted. And we provide something totaly free with a volunteer and unpaid community with an open source, so against my heart a ".org" is more accurate.

I don't know about registrar (never did) but if we buy "ahkscript.org" and not only "www.ahkscript.org" then we can create subdomain as "www.ahkscript.org", "ftp.ahkscript.org", "wiki.ahkscript.org", "info.ahkscript.org", et caetera... no ? or better a "mynameacount.ahkscript.org" as a "autohotkey.net"

Search engine are now prevented by some spam attack, but they still reference with link and word , therefore we will have to do a kind of light attack with <a href="www.ahkscript.org">AutoHotkey</a> and <a href="www.ahkscript.org">AHK</a>.
Also the owner will have to email google (also bing and yahoo, major) to explain history I guess with the mail registered for domain, can be fall into abyss but their goal is to provide the best found results. Better to try...
Alibaba

04 Oct 2013, 06:22

Zaelia wrote:To discard some doubts :

If we select the first choice then search engine will split name as a ahk+script domain, and we will be associate to "AHK" and "script" words in priority, in my point of view "community" is more far than "script". In USA, favorite si to don't use a "-", not as in France, but seems guys did test and they are compute as same (google modify anchor).
In other hand we don't need to use "community" if we use a ".org" else it is a repeat or a redundancy, for example it is like "www.wikipedia.org" or "www.craiglist.org". And it is more cheap , some dollar gain...
I voted for the best compromise "www.ahkscript.org", maybe I would prefer a ".com" but the first choice focus and concentrate the most things that we wanted. And we provide something totaly free with a volunteer and unpaid community with an open source, so against my heart a ".org" is more accurate.

I don't know about registrar (never did) but if we buy "ahkscript.org" and not only "www.ahkscript.org" then we can create subdomain as "www.ahkscript.org", "ftp.ahkscript.org", "wiki.ahkscript.org", "info.ahkscript.org", et caetera... no ? or better a "mynameacount.ahkscript.org" as a "autohotkey.net"

Search engine are now prevented by some spam attack, but they still reference with link and word , therefore we will have to do a kind of light attack with <a href="www.ahkscript.org">AutoHotkey</a> and <a href="www.ahkscript.org">AHK</a>.
Also the owner will have to email google (also bing and yahoo, major) to explain history I guess with the mail registered for domain, can be fall into abyss but their goal is to provide the best found results. Better to try...
Very good point, Zaelia!
I even changed my mind and vote.
i think "ahkscript.org" sounds really good and is good to remember.
I also like the subdomain idea!

Edit: is it possible to change the vote? :D
Zelio

04 Oct 2013, 07:38

I forgot a thing about doubts:

"script" or "scripting", haven't the same impact but it can produce a bad effect on other non-english, "ing" can be define by a move or other idiom and depends of language, "script" seems the best because less confuse and maybe more pro (opposite effect of "hot").
This forum is used by everybody, majority of writers come from USA because it is easy to speak for them so it can be missleading to think what we see. You can check who read or where guest come from in this state page http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/autohotke ... afficstats I imagine that only less than 25% are real native english speaker (because USA are by_default_browser_region for exotic language).

offtopic:
I have divergent points of view, will be hard to explain for me, in one hand I want more english but in the other I want more and to protect non-english. It is like to promote simple english for a default forum language and to have a large and solid community, but to still have a german forum in a other language section (not expanded in main page forum) and possible add other languages for a bigest traffic...

Return to “Announcements”