Permanent Domain

Community news and information about new or upcoming versions of AutoHotkey

Which permanent domain would you prefer?

Poll ended at 04 Oct 2013, 18:07

ahkscript.org
68%
ahkcommunity.org
32%

Total votes: 41
DataLife

Re: Permanent Domain

12 Oct 2013, 22:16

lexikos wrote:Forget about labels. They mean something different to each person. The important part should already be clear: more changes will be made to v2 which will break scripts.
It is currently in the alpha stage of development; more compatibility-breaking changes have yet to be made.
Source: AutoHotkey v2
DataLife, I haven't thought about it and don't see how the answer helps anyone, since I haven't given a timeframe for completion of this or any other stage.
I did not ask the question hoping to help anyone, except myself. I don't want to transition to ahk_v2 and have too many script breaking changes be made after the transition.

I do want to transition to ahk_v2 but only after the official release.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
PointCloud

13 Oct 2013, 22:16

So if the poll is over when should we be expecting a domain name change? I have a huge project idea I am trying to workout and on my check list is a domain name to reference this community forum.

No rush I still have tons of things to work out in my project.

Cheers!
tank

13 Oct 2013, 23:00

looks like the consensus is ahkscript.org
$714.20 .com .net .info bundled with .org for 5 years

121.9 just .org for 5 years

all with business guard who-is look-up protection

I will have to add a donation.

I will post the totals daily and make a purchase at the end of the week hopefully
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
dangerdogL2121

14 Oct 2013, 00:40

Thanks for helping with this site tank.

I just noticed that the old ahk forum is getting a lot more activity than this one. :o People are still mostly using the old one. I don't know if I am stating the obvious or not but I didn't know the old forum was still very popular.

We should do things like put the link to this forum in our signatures and any other way we can get people to this forum.
Hope this forum grows :)
jethrow

14 Oct 2013, 00:48

tank wrote:looks like the consensus is ahkscript.org ... 121.9 just .org for 5 years
Sounds good
Blackholyman

14 Oct 2013, 00:52

oh Snap

Seem i have just temporarily blocked my own and the donation account :(

sorry about that :P
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
tank

14 Oct 2013, 17:11

I have fixed the donation link.
I will keep the balance posted. all funds are to be used for the domain purchase and site maintanance
Check Out WebWriter
Zelio

14 Oct 2013, 19:15

gogogo Europa ! 3€ = 4$ (and will be worth with the next student loan crisis...)
Blackholyman

15 Oct 2013, 00:06

donation: Done
Also check out:
Courses on AutoHotkey

My Autohotkey Blog
:dance:
lexikos

15 Oct 2013, 04:16

tank wrote:$714.20 .com .net .info bundled with .org for 5 years
121.9 just .org for 5 years
That seems quite expensive for a domain name (or four). Who is the provider? Is it just the domain names plus who-is protection? Is it necessary to register for 5 years up front?
tank

15 Oct 2013, 08:09

godaddy is the registrar I am open to suggestion . no I can do fewer domain or a year at a time. the idea is to shoot big and see where we are after a week. if there is mony for it why not get everything?
Check Out WebWriter
Zelio

15 Oct 2013, 08:25

It is not only money, it is hope and thanks, you will have too much money for start, just hold it for buy other thing in futur (discard your free hosting solution when you want and it is not cheap per month, V2 domain,...)
I suggest to only buy .org (5 years is enought to see end of V1 world, as a dinosaur forum) and use what I said to you on irc for other domain (com net info ...) during one year, we already have enought money... I can do it myself if you buy .org it is a simple task for me.
In real word , when a foundation have too much money (because of subvention or other) they have one year to spend money to hardware... Sincerely buy a 4:3 screen or anything else for coding for you or lexikos or others is less extravagant than to pay extra 650$ for useless domain name during 5 years... I prefer to invest in yours tools, hosting, or other comfort (to buy your missed time with your wife :D , I joke).

PS: Don't leave with the treasury, and don't do interest conflict :D We can trust you, no ?
guest3456

15 Oct 2013, 09:53

i just donated, it said it went to b u l l e t z - at - insightbb.com ?

Zelio

15 Oct 2013, 09:58

I had same remark, it seems the default title, email when pm notification had change but not here. ([email protected] -> [email protected])
tank

15 Oct 2013, 09:58

yes thats mine as well
I am going to truncate that email address from the forum for the sake of bots
Check Out WebWriter
lexikos

15 Oct 2013, 16:44

I googled "godaddy 5 year pricing", and half of the first page of results seemed to be articles recommending people avoid GoDaddy.

It seems I can only view their Australian site, with Australian pricing. The bundle of ahkscript.org/com/net/info for 5 years with privacy protection appears to be around AU$460, which is currently about US$440. With "Business Registration" (which is of no use to us as far as I can tell) it is around AU$890. (Edit: I found the US$ option on their site, and it actually costs MORE in US$ despite the US dollar being worth more at the moment.)

By contrast, iwantmyname.com is around US$60 per year for the four domains or $15.50 for just ahkscript.org, and WHOIS masking is free. Their purchasing site is also much more straightforward and without hidden charges. I don't know whether you prefer GoDaddy for some reason, but I'd recommend you shop around a bit.
tank

15 Oct 2013, 17:30

business registration serves the purpose of masking my information from the who-is lookup
I will check out your suggestion as well as Zelio's The only thing i like about godaddy is some of its hosting tools. all of which i could live without. uptime and performance are also important for the hosting account.

I am not married yet to any course. I was presenting only the path i had investigated. My time is limited and i chose the path i was familiar with. I now have at least 2 alternate options to explore and i will do it this weekend.
Check Out WebWriter
guest3456

15 Oct 2013, 18:28

many people recommend against GoDaddy for domain registration

in contrast, NameCheap is supposed to be very solid

joedf

15 Oct 2013, 18:32

Makes sense... Also, ahkscript.org seems swell...
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Zelio

15 Oct 2013, 19:51

Godaddy supported SOPA and had other trouble, that's why community gave him a bad reputation... some alternative here http://www.webmaster-source.com/2012/09 ... ernatives/

If Tank really need a whois protection then the more cheap and popular http://www.namecheap.com/domains/domain-pricing.aspx seems not a lot of complain about it... less than 11 $ per years per domain (sample 165$ / 5 years / net,com,org with whoisguard, that let's a lot of money for a dedicated server or other things...)
Do as you wish, else it is https://www.name.com/pricing there are all options to add or special recovery but to add is very expensif...

About if you have too much money, some usefull informations:
If you want to host in europe then we have 1&1, it is far the best solution for a private server (dedicated, not virtual), but that will cost more and add some works (intall and managment). (maybe they host in us too, try to change location, haven't check)
http://www.1and1.com/server-dedicated-o ... tedservers
Again, do as you wish, but a very powerfull forum with a community hosting (private subdomain idea or just like autohotkey.net was) on a totally independant server can cost 60 $ per month. Just night thoughts, godaddy seems 2 time more expansif for a same thing with same tools...

Return to “Announcements”