Permanent Domain

Community news and information about new or upcoming versions of AutoHotkey

Which permanent domain would you prefer?

Poll ended at 04 Oct 2013, 18:07

ahkscript.org
68%
ahkcommunity.org
32%

Total votes: 41
Zelio

Re: Permanent Domain

08 Oct 2013, 16:22

I would love too... really... but some point are still unfixed when I read v2 thread, some rules are temporary (I haven't see casting syntax for a better DllCall usage and readability). I am agree to use it but I guess that will break some compatibility in some month.
When I see title of http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1686 ... autohotkey , rebrand is very easy for v2, WASL as windows automation script language (90% of script use MSDN lib), same phonetic than weasel ?
Let me dream...
lexikos

09 Oct 2013, 03:55

hoppfrosch wrote:I haven't seen any comments yet, that Lexikos is willing to accept rebranding of AutoHotkey or giving up AHK 1.1 development (but I've also seen no protest) - maybe I've simply overseen it ...
I said something to the effect that I'll go along with whatever, but I think that was in the thread which polyethene deleted. I want nothing to do with him, to be frank.
DataLife wrote:How could we even attempt a forum to support a scripting language that has not even been released?
There are plenty of "alpha" (or alpha-quality) programs out there, even some with their own communities. I'm sure AutoHotkey users are capable of using and supporting v2-alpha, with or without the alpha label. If anyone wants to help things along, they can read v2-thoughts and help to solidify the plans, or better, submit code so that things can be crossed off the list. More community involvement might help my motivation level.
HotKeyIt wrote:Of course lexikos would need to support that and make clear whether any script-breaking changes are on current to-do list.
If it's not in v2-thoughts, it probably won't happen.
Zelio wrote:[...] some rules are temporary (I haven't see casting syntax for a better DllCall usage and readability).
Which rules? The DllCall syntax is not temporary. I had no intention of changing it.
WASL as windows automation script language (90% of script use MSDN lib), same phonetic than weasel ?
It's more than just a language. Windows Automation Scripting Program would make a neat acronym; or Weasel is as good a name for a language as any. Reminds me of Squirrel (it's a scripting language). These aren't serious suggestions; just saying.

I had typed up some other words, but they're gone thanks to a Windows Update restart prompt popping up while I was typing ("r" for "restart").
hoppfrosch

09 Oct 2013, 04:14

Thanks for clarification, Lexikos.
Zelio

09 Oct 2013, 05:54

Sorry lexikos was a shortcut of my mind, you said a lot of thing in http://l.autohotkey.net/v2-thoughts.htm and probably you have more hidden project, that why I said a random thing about casting, and I guess that you will be ready when you will don't want a v3. However I am agree to use alpha now, inside the delete thread I suggest to use it and we just need to remember how AHK 1.0 was at begin...

My doubt are about blank/zero math operation return, and click name function. It is very important to don't start with a thing who will change in two or more months. Do as you wish, I suggested to check how will be multitouch (tablet grow too much) events for have a good click and have a integrity logic.

Also, me too, these aren't serious suggestions; just saying.
WASP can be derogatory and too much used on internet, also you can imagine L for lexikos... Don't know how you prononce WASL, also yeah this squirrel language seems very good (thank to show it). I run/launch a weasel, sound like a rabbit hunt, that make me smile, however I don't understand why a lot of open source select an animal... without imagination a tabble is BW4F a "board with 4 feet", script ancestry too JCL for job control language.
Programm must have a different name than acronym, runtime/interpreter/standalone/machine/.exe who run by default a source/code/script/%a_scriptname%/.wasl , else you fall in duality name as autohotkey/ahk. (standalone.exe with source/script.wasl seems more accurate for example, wasl.dll too)

29 windows updates, was a hard month with security fix...

You defended and quoted to much v2, I think we have a direction :D
HotKeyIt

09 Oct 2013, 09:47

That sounds good for v2 :)

I have gone through v2 thoughts, following are outstanding items as I understand, hope I covered all.
Probably we should create a poll to get the things rolling, we can always revert back if necessary.
Alternatively everyone could reply with his opinion (keeping all items in the list and adding +1 or -1 in front.
As soon as we have 20 - 40 replies or some time is gone I could download them and evaluate.

Following already incudes my opinion and considers asap completion.
Spoiler
joedf

09 Oct 2013, 09:50

I have said and I now do say, to just leave lexikos alone on this specific matter, I have been there since the beginning of the whole issue, I was even the first to ever post "viva la revolution" as a joke/ I do mean it though :P , but also
I do believe Lexikos is doing quite enough, he has no obligation to take action whatsoever, If he feels the need to take action, he probably will.
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
tank

09 Oct 2013, 09:59

I think he stated loud and clearly that he wants nothing to do with Poly and that if the community support moves to this or any other home he would support autohotkey there
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
HotKeyIt

09 Oct 2013, 10:07

joedf wrote:I do believe Lexikos is doing quite enough, he has no obligation to take action whatsoever, If he feels the need to take action, he probably will.
As I understand lexikos thinks positive about an official release for v2.
However to get it moving support from the community is highly required.

In my view we definitely need to switch to v2 for those reasons:
  • Clear syntax from begin, much less confusion for new users and less posts with stupid questions and RTFM answers.
  • No confusion between v1 and v2 functions that would be created whenever we upgrade.
  • v2 will be attractive for new users as well as for advanced users, so community will grow much faster
just me

09 Oct 2013, 10:11

Wow! This might be the best approach. No competition nor war, just the birth of a new language (maybe with a new name). No restrictions to avoid "breaking changes", no problems with differences between ANSI, Unicode, and AHK 1.0, not looking backward, all future. I'd have a reason to rewrite all my scripts using my current experience and knowlegde, wonderful.

I like the idea. Do you?
HotKeyIt

09 Oct 2013, 10:22

I also support a name change, again to reduce confusion, imagine AutoHotkey would have been called Auto-It v2 :twisted:
I like AHK++ also called AHKpp, btw. http://www.ahkpp.com is free and pp could mean pure power or just plus plus :)
joedf

09 Oct 2013, 10:24

I haven't really tried v2 I did but I didnt really get into it
I know the major difference is the '=' vs the ':=' operator,
Maybe I will switch to it if everyone else does...
Maybe we could simply call it "ahk2" no word 'version' or 'v'
I don't know... OH how about a Directive? So porting would still allow people to still use
Non-updated old posts and scripts, maybe this could be removed later? I know this might
Help for people to transition to ahk2.. Hmm
What do you guys think?
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
joedf

09 Oct 2013, 10:25

@HotKeyIt haha I like "++" name joke! ;) intuitive idea!
guest3456

09 Oct 2013, 10:33

ahk.org
or
autohotkey2.com

i think i prefer the first, by why not grab both anyway

in my opinion though, every effort should be made for a peaceful resolution with Poly. i realize the guy is a complete loser, but similar to fincs, i can't see how fragmenting the community is a good thing in any scenario.

joedf

09 Oct 2013, 10:36

I am in Full Favior of Grabbing the shhBEEP out of ahk.org right now...
Ok ok sorry if I offended anyone :P
HotKeyIt

09 Oct 2013, 10:39

joedf wrote:I don't know... OH how about a Directive? So porting would still allow people to still use
Non-updated old posts and scripts, maybe this could be removed later? I know this might
Help for people to transition to ahk2.. Hmm
How would this help, I think it would rather stop people to translate code to v2.
Also there is no BothVersionsInOne.exe and no project so this would create a lot of useless work.
There is also BinRun() that would allow AutoHotkeyv1.exe sit in resources and have a stdlib function, e.g. RunAhkV1(ScriptOrFile,ScriptIsFile:=1)
When running installation we could have a checkbox to install RunAhkV1() to stdlib and include AutoHotkeyV1.exe in resources so everyone can choose.
RijulAhuja

09 Oct 2013, 10:48

HotKeyIt wrote:
joedf wrote:I do believe Lexikos is doing quite enough, he has no obligation to take action whatsoever, If he feels the need to take action, he probably will.
As I understand lexikos thinks positive about an official release for v2.
However to get it moving support from the community is highly required.

In my view we definitely need to switch to v2 for those reasons:
  • Clear syntax from begin, much less confusion for new users and less posts with stupid questions and RTFM answers.
  • No confusion between v1 and v2 functions that would be created whenever we upgrade.
  • v2 will be attractive for new users as well as for advanced users, so community will grow much faster
I support this.
joedf

09 Oct 2013, 10:50

HotKeyIt wrote:How would this help, I think it would rather stop people to translate code to v2.
Also there is no BothVersionsInOne.exe and no project so this would create a lot of useless work.
I guess you are right, I was not thinking straight :P
Zelio

09 Oct 2013, 11:28

We are half offtopic, but that concern a futur domain name too...
I am not sure if you(s) understand the bad impact to select AHK inside the new name for a fork or a new version. Because of Poly dictatorship, we need repackage else we will fall in search engine and in confusion. We were not serious about tiny animals name, but that ask a serious question, it is not the same case than to pick AHK 1.1

Oh, iceweasel replaced by icecat name on debian...
Coco

09 Oct 2013, 11:54

ahk-lang.org or newname-lang.org ; just like scala-lang.org or ruby-lang.org
cyruz

09 Oct 2013, 16:26

So, looks like the "cut with the past and rebrand" idea is getting support.

I hope this will be the direction and I tell this despite having a lot of ahk code and being too lazy to convert it. Because I really think that this will be the best solution for the community.

What about "puck" as the name? It's nice and could be the acronym of "poly suck"... Joking LoL :D
ABCza on the old forum.
My GitHub.

Return to “Announcements”