fix this!!!

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
Portwolf

Re: fix this!!!

09 Feb 2019, 05:02

Hello,

I am having the same issue.... (not banned, but permanent "captcha")
It's so bad to write a whole post and press "Submit", getting thrown to the damn page..
And almost every thread i visit, i get that..

What is going on?
I am on a VPN due to office restrictions. Is it that?
Portwolf

09 Feb 2019, 08:57

This is getting annoying pretty fast....
Every other thread i have captcha wall, and every other page refresh likewise..

The forum is simply not possible to use like this!
RickC

09 Feb 2019, 09:52

Two days after emailing my IP address as suggested... and still Captcha's. What's going on?
tank
Facebook: charlie.simmons.7334
Google: ttnnkkrr
GitHub: ttnnkkrr

09 Feb 2019, 12:26

RickC wrote:
Two days after emailing my IP address as suggested... and still Captcha's. What's going on?
I said PM me not send an email. Dunno who your emailing
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
https://www.facebook.com/ahkscript.org
If you have forum suggestions please submit a pull request
Portwolf

10 Feb 2019, 03:34

Can you please take a look at this damn captcha?
It's almost impossible to browse and respond in the forum.
I am not the most active member responding, but reading a topic for a while, press reply, captcha... Write a long answer, press "Post" captcha... Accept captcha, response gone. Have to press back and get captcha again, get the response text, copy it, press "Reply" again, and if im lucky, no captcha.. then post.

This happens both in my home, and in my work, where i have to use VPN to login to some servers.

If one time is annoying, multiple times is just stupid.

And while writing this, and posting it..
Guess what, captcha! and post gone!
Good thing i pressed CTRL+C before.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
nnnik

10 Feb 2019, 03:52

We can't do anything about VPNs - they were used to hide the attackers identity recently.
The thing with the post contents is rather problematic and will probably be fixed in due time.
Recommends AHK Studio
swagfag

10 Feb 2019, 05:05

i dled https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-pass/ajhmfdgkijocedmfjonnpjfojldioehi?hl=en
works well enough
ive only had to fill out a captcha twice this past few days
SOTE

10 Feb 2019, 05:07

Portwolf wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 03:34
Can you please take a look at this damn captcha?
It's almost impossible to browse and respond in the forum.
I am not the most active member responding, but reading a topic for a while, press reply, captcha... Write a long answer, press "Post" captcha... Accept captcha, response gone. Have to press back and get captcha again, get the response text, copy it, press "Reply" again, and if im lucky, no captcha.. then post.

This happens both in my home, and in my work, where i have to use VPN to login to some servers.

If one time is annoying, multiple times is just stupid.
Reading this, I'm a little bit confused. I understand the need to use VPNs sometimes or even often, but "all the time"? There isn't any time that you would use a normal IP?

Clearly many attackers and cyber criminals are going to use VPNs or proxies to launch their attacks. Many systems can now tell if a VPN or proxy is being used, and thus additional safeguards are going to be turned on. Also, many people are under the false assumption that they are anonymous to everyone/every system when using a VPN, but are actually not, because of various newer detection techniques being used.

I think many of us can sympathize with the frustration or need to protect privacy, but let's be clear that VPNs and proxies bring along issues, and we should not be surprised by them. Sometimes, that might be the captcha.
Portwolf

10 Feb 2019, 06:06

No, not at work. I work in a major IT corporation, and i monitor IOT equipments and server networks, so, i have to be connected to the VPN for authentication.
I only use regular IP's at home, or when i'm on the move.

There are a multitude of solutions to prevent spam and multi-registrations on phpBB3...
Having the CAPTCHA implemented in this way is just shooting a fly with a MOHAB.

(Edit: And the goddamn thing prevented this response again!! Another CTRL+C / CTRL +V)

:think:
tank

10 Feb 2019, 12:15

Your IP is not tripping the firewall itself so there must be something about the traffic from your VPN pissing off the firewall
evilC

11 Feb 2019, 11:05

I have lost THREE POSTS IN ONE DAY so far due to this god-damned CAPTCHA.
I connect to the site, pass the CAPTCHA, write a wall-o-text and hit Submit, and it pops me back to the CAPTCHA page, throwing away my post.
I don't even see how it holds any value - it does not stop bots from clicking on it at all, If you get AHK to send a click, it does not recognize it as synthetic, so WTF is it meant to achieve?
tank

11 Feb 2019, 13:55

I can't find you all ip in the logs. Dozens are posting without issue. I have posted from VPN, phone, and standard laptop using chrome. I went ahead and disabled some challenges based on ie6 false detection. And some completely unnecessary wordpress rules. Maybe this helps? Let me know
RickC

12 Feb 2019, 04:37

tank wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 12:26
RickC wrote:
I said PM me not send an email. Dunno who your emailing
ROFL... apologies, I meant PM, not email. But I can't see the PM in my 'Sent messages' anyway? I'll send it again.

EDIT: It's just done it again... now I realise that creating a PM then clicking on 'Preview' triggers a Captcha and deletes the PM... I assumed it had been sent (which, on reflection, was stupid of me). Ho-hum.

Anyway... sent another PM which was confirmed as successfully sent... but is now just sitting in my 'Outbox' rather than appearing in 'Sent messages'. What? How do I get it to actually send?
nnnik

12 Feb 2019, 05:03

It will go from your outbox to sent messages once the recipent received it - as in when the other person read it.
Recommends AHK Studio
RickC

12 Feb 2019, 06:03

nnnik wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 05:03
It will go from your outbox to sent messages once the recipent received it - as in when the other person read it.
Ahh... that explains it! Many thanks for the explanation, nnnik. I'm more used to vBulletin boards where sent PMs show in the 'Sent' folder immediately.
Portwolf

12 Feb 2019, 07:13

Staff, this is getting really out of control.
And really REALLY annoying!

I am getting CAPTCHA inside the documentation part of the website, and from search to search, i am now obligated to find traffic lights, signs, shops, and other really stupid things.... Inside the damn documentation!
If it wasn't enought to get spammed captcha inside the forum itself, now the docs!?

There are other measures against spam, instead of this crap.

Edit:
https://imgur.com/a/o3E1axH

Oh, and now in forum, also image captcha.....
Awesome way to piss off users that really need to access the data in the forum.
RickC

12 Feb 2019, 07:24

Portwolf wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 07:13
I am getting CAPTCHA inside the documentation part of the website, and from search to search, i am now obligated to find traffic lights, signs, shops, and other really stupid things.... Inside the damn documentation!
If it wasn't enought to get spammed captcha inside the forum itself, now the docs!?
Yep... it's suddenly got worse for me today too. Cannot even click on the 'Notifications' icon without yet another captcha. And on every new page of 'Search' results...
Last edited by RickC on 12 Feb 2019, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
swagfag

12 Feb 2019, 07:26

i dont understand either if its to fight spam why its enabled across the entire domain

u can use the .chm docs for the time being, or the browser extension i mentioned
tank

12 Feb 2019, 08:37

I had the wrong docs url whitelisted that should never challenge. Guys i beg patients. Tuning the firewall is a delicate balance. I am committed to identifying the rules that are incorrectly challenging legitimate users.

Return to “Forum Issues”