new forum proposal: GitHub subforum

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
jeeswg

new forum proposal: GitHub subforum

07 Nov 2019, 13:22

GitHub issues come up a lot, and are complex, so it'd be worth having a GitHub subforum.

Example content:

AutoHotkey GitHub links - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=62329

Upcoming Ahk2Exe Changes (2019) - Page 14 - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65095&p=299355#p299355

GitHub pull requests - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=55256

GitHub preview htm - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=69421
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
jeeswg

Re: new forum proposal: GitHub subforum

07 Nov 2019, 14:03

@guest3456: I'm surprised by your reaction.
A lot of effort could have been saved in the 'Upcoming Ahk2Exe Changes' thread.
In that thread, multiple long-term forum members were struggling with GitHub.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
joedf
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf

07 Nov 2019, 14:09

I could add this, but I feel this is starting to go beyond the scope of AutoHotkey. :?
I think stackoverflow is more appropriate for GitHub specific questions:
https://meta.stackexchange.com/q/157888/232925

Even the Github GoogleGroups forum was shut down in favor of stackexchange. Also, answers provided there will better benefit everyone, not just autohotkey-related users...
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500 @ 4.00 GHz, 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V - DDR4 3280 MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB | [About Me] | [ASPDM - StdLib Distribution]
[Populate the AHK MiniCity!] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library] | [About the AHK Foundation]
jeeswg

07 Nov 2019, 14:13

@joedf: I had in mind: GitHub *in relation to AutoHotkey*.
Such queries probably wouldn't be a good fit for Stack Overflow.
Helgef

07 Nov 2019, 14:27

There's already an off topic forum, and a general autohotkey if you want to discuss github in relation to autohotkey. I like cats, I want a cat forum.
jeeswg

07 Nov 2019, 14:41

@Helgef: GitHub is of fundamental importance to AutoHotkey, it's where the source code, releases and documentation are worked on. Cf. cats.

A large number (the vast majority?) of contributors have made fundamental mistakes trying to upload to the AHK source code/documentation etc. And/or gone against lexikos's guidelines (that they may not have known about, because they aren't in one place).

Also, don't think only of existing threads. It could be a good place for *new* and important threads re. GitHub.
swagfag

07 Nov 2019, 15:02

how could one have gone against that which does not exist?

guidelines should be a readme in the repo, not a thread in a subforum
jeeswg

07 Nov 2019, 15:06

@swagfag: And if we want to change (or explain/clarify) those guidelines, where should the changes be discussed?
jeeswg

07 Nov 2019, 15:55

That's a fair point. However, the structure of GitHub means that many things get put in many different places, e.g. open/closed issues/PRs in at least 5 different projects, that's already 20 categories. Is it easy to search all of that via one search query? That's one of the motivations for a simple flat structure ... an AutoHotkey subforum.
guest3456

08 Nov 2019, 01:07

Helgef wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 14:27
There's already an off topic forum, and a general autohotkey if you want to discuss github in relation to autohotkey. I like cats, I want a cat forum.
+1

boiler

08 Nov 2019, 01:17

+2 (or another +1, I forget how it's supposed to work). And I am not even that fond of cats.
boiler

08 Nov 2019, 01:23

thread saver (AHKat)
nnnik

08 Nov 2019, 04:06

Yes we definitively need a cat forum.
Recommends AHK Studio
jeeswg

08 Nov 2019, 07:22

There's also 'niceC' cf. evilC. niceC wants a CatHub forum, but wants a GitHub forum considerably more.
joedf
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf

08 Nov 2019, 09:27

:lol: I don't know what's going on anymore... but I do like cats :3 :D
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500 @ 4.00 GHz, 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V - DDR4 3280 MHz, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB | [About Me] | [ASPDM - StdLib Distribution]
[Populate the AHK MiniCity!] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library] | [About the AHK Foundation]
swagfag

08 Nov 2019, 16:21

well (ideally) things get put in the exact places where they belong - "issues/bug reports" in the Issues; "changes/discussions" in the PRs

i dont know how common a use case what ure describing is - flat hierarchy, searching through all repos. i would presume not very.
why would u want results returned from all repos when looking up something in Ahk2Exe, for instance? it doesnt make sense

speaking of Ahk2Exe, this exact thread is the reason why a forum is anything but a suitable medium for this.
the thread is a 15+ page dumping ground for anything imaginable: feedback, questions, bug reports, fixes, changes, releases, discussions, tech support; with no clear delineation where something begins nor where it ends.
i havent been following the thread, so if i wanted to figure out what the recent developments are id have to jump to the last page and backtrack a bunch until things hopefully start making sense.
if i wanted to take a look at some "closed" issues, id have to do the same but jump to somewhere in the middle. sounds like fun...

so, what do u propose? perhaps each new discussion, every new issue, every change proposal gets its own thread in this new GitHub subforum? sounds good, yes?
perhaps we even prepend the repo name to the thread title, just so we know which repo is being referenced?
ill one up u now - perhaps each repo gets its own subsubforum in the GitHub subforum?
perhaps even each category within gets its own subforum?

congratulations on inventing "Poor Man's GitHub Issues Tracker™"
jeeswg

08 Nov 2019, 16:47

On the forum, projects tend to have either one subforum or one thread. This is true for Ahk2Exe.

I intended for information relevant to GitHub, in relation to AutoHotkey, be placed on the subforum.
E.g. the GitHub subforum could have a thread with links to/copies of/improved summaries of the GitHub info in the Ahk2Exe thread.

The question is: if I want to submit XYZ onto GitHub, how do I do it, and what are the guidelines, what are the worst possible mistakes, how can I avoid them, and what would I have to do to undo them.
A complete and thorough, yet potentially short, collection of the important GitHub information for AutoHotkey. Done in a reasonably professional and streamlined way.

I did not intend anything remotely like: anything currently on GitHub could go in the GitHub subforum and nowhere else.

Return to “Forum Issues”