'Notifications' and 'Manage Subscriptions' queries

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
DaveF

'Notifications' and 'Manage Subscriptions' queries

03 Sep 2021, 14:41

Hi

Does Notifications means just mean highlighting the Bell/Notification near the top of the screen and/or receiving email? (I'm not getting an email).

The latest posts which I've started are not appearing in my User Control Panel's 'Managed Subscriptions', even though the 'subscribe' box is ticked under the 'spanner'.
gregster

Re: 'Notifications' and 'Manage Subscriptions' queries

03 Sep 2021, 16:38

If you are seeing 'Subscribe topic' at the top of the page, it means that you are currently not subscribed to that topic.

You can manage notifications and emails here: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options
'Notification' doesn't mean getting an email, if the email option is not ticked. It's just the bell.
Horus

29 Nov 2021, 04:03

Another new user here...

I was also "surprised" to see that someone replied to one of my posts about ten days ago...

I don't come to this forum everyday to check if my posts got replies. I think it's nice, and quite a common convention as seen in other forums, that notification *by email* is enabled by default for every posts that we are the authors or when we reply to.

And I think we should be asked to check (or uncheck) the notification (by email) during subscription. Given that we have more and more options, it's not pleasant that we have to search everywhere in "my account" to see where this is "hidden":
you see, you have "subscription" in "overview" tab but "notificaiton" in "board preferences" tab.... Not easy to guess if we are not the designer of the forum.

Back to ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options, there are two columns called "Notifications". Why? I've done a screen capture if you don't see what I mean. How are we supposed to paste image, by the way?
joedf

29 Nov 2021, 11:20

Pasting an image only works in the Full editor.
I think the second column is for when we had a custom plugin for notifications, it should probably be removed.
As for emails by default, I think some of it is already enabled by default but it seems that some users simply do not receive the emails no matter what... :/
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
safetycar

30 Nov 2021, 11:49

phpBB can be a bit messy, It's been a while since I don't use it's ACP, but I remember there's a tool that let's you see the sum of applied permissions on a user.
There are also a lot of permissions that you'd think that are global but are also unexpectedly managed by subforum permissions.
I guess most of this is already known by the admins here but I suppose is good to say as a reminder in case it helps.

Edit: Also the second column of notifications is directly related to the style "Simplicity", some others that I looked are good.
joedf

30 Nov 2021, 12:26

@safetycar Good catch, that is a bit weird... I looked at the phpbb theme template code, but no difference... I tried clearing cache... still there. Not sure why we see in one theme and not the other... :think:
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
safetycar

30 Nov 2021, 15:06

I've tried if I could see something. I think there could be a change left by a mod on the file in styles/simplicity/template/ucp_pm_options.html
I can't tell for sure. I'd try to compare the server version with the original style folder with a tool like WinMerge or similar.
I found this link but I'm not sure of the version I picked https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/simplicity_2
Horus

19 Dec 2021, 17:41

joedf wrote:
And how do we get this full editor?
joedf wrote:
I think the second column is for when we had a custom plugin for notifications, it should probably be removed.
It should because it's very disturbing to have two columns of the same name. Or change the 2nd column's name to something else to make it clear.
joedf wrote:
As for emails by default, I think some of it is already enabled by default but it seems that some users simply do not receive the emails no matter what... :/
I have never received any email because apparently notification/subscription was not enabled by default for me. I had to press the "Subscribe topic" button at the top of every thread. That's really user-unfriendly.
gregster

19 Dec 2021, 18:36

Horus wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 17:41
joedf wrote:
And how do we get this full editor?
Either press the 'Post Reply' button at the bottom of the page, or the 'Full Editor & Preview' button.
The first should be available on all subforums, the latter only on those which have a 'Quick Reply' field (see below).

Aftrer dropping the picture successfully, it appears on the 'Attachments' tab (scroll down a bit). There, you can decide to place it "inline" (eg, somewhere in the middle of the post), or keep it as a normal attachment which would only appear at the end of your post (and not in the preview). Inline picture:
Post Reply.png
Post Reply.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Of course, you can also use the 'Add files' button (on the same tab) instead to upload (a limited number of) pictures to your post.

Picture as attachment:
Attachments
Full Editor.png
Full Editor.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
joedf

19 Dec 2021, 20:07

@Horus i took a look at removing that second column, but didn't anything in the template code... I think it might be either in the database or something else. And currently, the risk outweighs the benefit.
Horus

26 Aug 2022, 02:56

In reply to gregster, thanks. It works.

Also in reply to gregster on the "manage notification", let me paste the image as a try ;) even though you have already answered my post earlier
image.png
image.png (125.51 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
tank

29 Aug 2022, 09:54

Horus wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 04:03
there are two columns called "Notifications".
I have only one?
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

29 Aug 2022, 11:25

I have two, I think this is from the old Notification Plugin we had: https://github.com/ahkscript/phpBB_v3.0.x-Notifications
Not sure if we did indeed add a new column... but if so, perhaps removing it would fix this?
It could also explain why some have 2 and some only 1... Not everyone used the custom notifications we had.
safetycar

29 Aug 2022, 13:13

I've tried to look at this again, you'll probably be able to find something weird in the file "styles\simplicity\template\ucp_notifications.html"
I found this diff (in the attachment) comparing one older version I downloaded, with the same file in the prosilver theme.
The line in bright red is deleted in prosilver. And doesn't appear in newer versions of the simplicity template either.
Attachments
2022-08-29 19_48_45.png
2022-08-29 19_48_45.png (726.31 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
joedf

29 Aug 2022, 14:48

Thanks for this. I'll have a look hopefully later this week. :+1:
tank

01 Sep 2022, 10:08

could i have a screen shot of how this looks and an inspect element?
Check Out WebWriter
tank

01 Sep 2022, 10:08

Oh it is in a theme i see it now
Check Out WebWriter
safetycar

01 Sep 2022, 15:16

Now that it comes to mind, in case you try and you don't see anything at all, I have some kind of memory about having to click a button in the a styles section of the admin panel to refresh the cache.
Sorry that I can't be more concrete.
joedf

01 Sep 2022, 16:41

Okay, I've removed these 2 lines. Seems to be good now. :+1:

Line 37:

Code: Select all

<td class="mark"><input type="checkbox" name="{notification_types.TYPE}_notification"<!-- IF notification_types.SUBSCRIBED --> checked="checked"<!-- ENDIF --> /></td>
Line 19:

Code: Select all

<th class="mark">{L_NOTIFICATIONS}</th>
image.png
image.png (157.49 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
image.png
image.png (700.19 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Horus

19 Sep 2022, 07:14

I confirm I have only ONE notification column now.

Thank you :bravo:

Return to “Forum Issues”