login issues

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
joedf

Re: login issues

22 Nov 2016, 15:39

Well.... You could use js or the manually cookieeditor built-in in most browsers
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Drugwash

23 Nov 2016, 04:19

Hey MilesAhead, have you ever looked in your User Control Panel here on the board, specifically in Profile > Manage "Remember Me" login keys?
I'm having a seemingly unrelated issue on the board, namely getting kicked out after a certain amount of (idle?) time. Just discovered the said options (see screenshot) and I was wondering if both our issues stem from this unique "feature" whose utility I can't possibly understand.
I never enable that checkbox when logging in so there's nothing in that list. Maybe you do and your list is filled up to the brim, requiring some cleanup. Dunno, it's just an idea. Hopefully the ones in the know could clear things up a bit.
Good luck!
Part of my AHK work can be found here.
MilesAhead

23 Nov 2016, 08:37

@Drugwash I didn't know that was there. Anyway, I deleted all but three. I tried to log in with Firefox, same deal. But I still do not understand why the forum activation link would not work unless it is looking at the old email I first used to register way back in 200x sometime. It says the email is not the same one used to sign up. So it must be looking at the original before the forum went through the changeover.

I have never experienced anything this weird logging into any forum.
"My plan is to ghostwrite my biography. Then hire another writer to put his
name on it and take the blame."

- MilesAhead
Drugwash

23 Nov 2016, 08:53

Hm, a glitch in the database is possible. I guess Joe or someone else at higher quarters could check the details if you refer them to the old e-mail address.

If I may ask: why did you keep those three entries? Dunno how this all works but maybe there's some mismatched data right there, internally. However, please wait for clarification from the good guys before proceeding to any further deletion.

Also try to think system-wide: did you by chance install/enable any software related to Internet security or similar? Did you enable some obscure setting in some software that may affect cookie creation/destruction in most browsers? By the looks of it it may well be such tool that tampers with most browsers but for some reason can't touch Slimboat. Also, have you tried QtWeb (quite old, I know, but lightweight and can save the day at times)?
MilesAhead

23 Nov 2016, 10:03

Ok, I got it to login. Sorry about that. I used the wrong password I got from saved login list in a browser. Sort of like the programmer's "off by one" error I looked at the wrong entry in the list. But in any case it does point out that if I do get frozen out the activation link will not bail me out. So the admins may want to take a look at it.

Once I got the correct password then I just had to enter user name, pw, and capcha after getting the "too many tries" error. When you get flustered you make dumb mistakes. :)

- MilesAhead
Drugwash

23 Nov 2016, 10:09

Shi(f)t happens. ;)
Glad you sorted out at least part of the issue. Hopefully the e-mail one will be solved too. :)
MilesAhead

23 Nov 2016, 12:14

Heh heh heh. No biggie. Thanks for the follow-ups though. :+1:

- MilesAhead
Drugwash

23 Nov 2016, 12:51

You're welcome. :)
joedf

23 Nov 2016, 15:56

Haha well... great! :+1:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Return to “Forum Issues”