Forum Storage Location(s)

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
jballi

Forum Storage Location(s)

14 Oct 2013, 06:53

I have been trying to keep up with all of the changes but I'm not sure if we have reached a consensus or at least a recommendation.

Since Autohotkey.net will be completely gone in the near future, I'm looking for alternatives. Small/short scripts are not a problem because they can be included in the post or attached to the post but a place to store large scripts, project files (archives that can include anything but usually contain scripts, examples, and documentation), and images is what I need.

Any recommendations for files? Images? Both?

Food for thought for the forum managers... The less stuff that is on the forum, the easier the forum will be to manage (backup, convert, etc.) and less bandwidth is used. Ideally, a separate site like Autohotkey.net is the way to go but it is not foolproof as we all learned (the hard way) recently. However, if a separate site is not possible or desired, a few official recommendations for where members can load their stuff would be very helpful.

Them be my thoughts.
nnnik

Re: Forum Storage Location(s)

14 Oct 2013, 06:55

I use both: GitHub and DropBox/Copy.
Github is to store your scripts and give the ability for everyone to make suggestions.
DropBox/Copy is for larger files who are needed like a compiled package.
Recommends AHK Studio
jballi

14 Oct 2013, 13:03

nnnik wrote:I use both: GitHub and DropBox/Copy.
I think I know you what you mean but I want to sure. Do you mean the "Copy" command of DropBox or do you mean Dropbox.com and Copy.com? The reason I ask is that I've heard of Dropbox.com but I didn't know anything about Copy.com until I looked it up. It looks like a service similar to Dropbox.
Blackholyman
Facebook: socialjsz
Google: +Jszapp

14 Oct 2013, 13:08

I'm sure it is copy.com

I to use dropbox and copy as seen in my sig.

Still need to really start using github but soon :)
Grendahl

22 Oct 2013, 10:00

One caution against Dropbox/Copy type solutions is that if an active member places a large amount of resources in their Dropbox/Copy area to share with the community, and then leaves the community, starts working with another language, or just wants to use their Dropbox/Copy space for other files, then we as a community lose access to those resources. It would be like when we lost all those files on Autohotkey.net.

I'd prefer to see a username segregated, community wide solution. Something similar to Autohotkey.net, just so we can preserve continuity of information/resources.
Grendahl

22 Oct 2013, 10:18

It wouldn't need to be a dedicated server.

We could use the exsiting URL of AHKScript.NET and point it to a separate site within our current hosting plan. Just make that site a web-uploadable CMS that uses the authentication cookie that ahkscript.org already uses.

Users would be able to upload/edit/remove files in their own area only, but would be able to read anywhere.

We'd only get hit with storage/bandwidth issues at that point... though it would mean more admin work for tank and the team.
Learning one

22 Oct 2013, 14:33

See: Free Cloud Storages with direct download links. ;)
I have Dropbox, One.Ubuntu and Copy accouts but actually only use Dropbox and it works great. 8-)
DataLife

22 Oct 2013, 15:02

Grendahl wrote:One caution against Dropbox/Copy type solutions is that if an active member places a large amount of resources in their Dropbox/Copy area to share with the community, and then leaves the community, starts working with another language, or just wants to use their Dropbox/Copy space for other files, then we as a community lose access to those resources. It would be like when we lost all those files on Autohotkey.net.

I'd prefer to see a username segregated, community wide solution. Something similar to Autohotkey.net, just so we can preserve continuity of information/resources.
Would using github cause the same problems as you mentioned here?
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
Grendahl

22 Oct 2013, 15:09

It might... but that would require everyone who wants to upload code to create a GitHub account, create a repository, commit files to it, etc.

While it's great for people who need that kind of thing, it would be daunting for a majority of the newer members of our community.
DataLife

22 Oct 2013, 15:26

Grendahl wrote:It might... but that would require everyone who wants to upload code to create a GitHub account, create a repository, commit files to it, etc.

While it's great for people who need that kind of thing, it would be daunting for a majority of the newer members of our community.
Using ahkscript.net like AutoHotkey.net except with better security and backups would be great.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
jballi

22 Oct 2013, 18:27

Yes, having a separate FTP server is definitely the best case scenario for all of the reasons listed above. To avoid the AutoHotkey.net catastrophe (full data loss) that occurred a while back, periodic backups would be necessary.

A turn-key service (server, backup/recovery, etc.) would be the simplest to administer but would probably be the most expensive. Regardless of the method, one or more members would have to volunteer to administer the site/service. It would be a pain in the butt for a couple to days to get it set up but after that, there wouldn't be much.

Having a separate FTP service will not stop people from posting stuff on Dropbox, Imgur, etc., etc., but it will (read: should) create a safe and consistent place to store AutoHotkey-specific stuff.

Them be my thoughts.
joedf
Facebook: J0EDF
Google: +joedf
GitHub: joedf

22 Oct 2013, 21:45

+1
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V - DDR4 3280 MHz | [About Me] | [ASPDM - StdLib Distribution]
[Populate the AHK MiniCity!] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library] | [About the AHK Foundation]
timeFlies

22 Oct 2013, 23:53

jballi: Precisely what I was thinking.
Alibaba

23 Oct 2013, 03:37

jballi wrote:Yes, having a separate FTP server is definitely the best case scenario for all of the reasons listed above. To avoid the AutoHotkey.net catastrophe (full data loss) that occurred a while back, periodic backups would be necessary.

A turn-key service (server, backup/recovery, etc.) would be the simplest to administer but would probably be the most expensive. Regardless of the method, one or more members would have to volunteer to administer the site/service. It would be a pain in the butt for a couple to days to get it set up but after that, there wouldn't be much.

Having a separate FTP service will not stop people from posting stuff on Dropbox, Imgur, etc., etc., but it will (read: should) create a safe and consistent place to store AutoHotkey-specific stuff.

Them be my thoughts.
+1
I fully agree with that.
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
jNizM
GitHub: jNizM

23 Oct 2013, 04:02

This is the reason why I use more than 1 Dropbox Account.
One for me and one only for ahk and other scripts
[AHK] 1.1.30.03 x64 Unicode | [WIN] 10 Pro (Version 1909) x64 | [GitHub] Profile
Donations are appreciated if I could help you
just me

23 Oct 2013, 06:30

What about attachments?
nnnik

23 Oct 2013, 10:38

You know I don't want to say that the same thing is going to happen with this new forum but you know everything I stored in Copy/Dropbox is still there, my autohotkey.net files are all lost.
Recommends AHK Studio

Return to “Forum Issues”