phpBB issues

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
Helgef

Re: phpBB issues

03 Jul 2019, 11:21

Code: Select all

Where did you get that idea?
The tags come from the "Select code" drop down list.
"They" should disable the drop down list if it is not supposed to be used. 

Code: Select all

Cheers. 
joedf

03 Jul 2019, 21:08

it probably because it's such a large topic and there's a lot of syntax highlighting involved... Also, you shouldn't be using IE anymore. Microsoft strongly recommends using Edge or any other newly updated browser for that matter.... :/
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
jNizM

04 Jul 2019, 01:11

[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
nnnik

04 Jul 2019, 02:55

Yeah the codebox is not exactly made for IE or that much data.
If you want to avoid that problem I suggest switching to another browser.
There is only so much we can do to make the site compatible with older browsers and in this case we are really out of options.
Recommends AHK Studio
jeeswg

04 Jul 2019, 04:49

- Firefox was struggling with this page:
list of every command/function/variable from across all versions - AutoHotkey Community
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=27321
A web page is slowing down your browser. What would you like to do?
- This is the worst page I've seen for IE:
Base64 decode and create file from clipboard - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64341

- I'll do what I can for the short-term future, however ...
- Before this year, I never had any problems with slow AHK pages.
- I've found that the one or two really slow webpages in IE, are also slow in other web browsers. Although, the AutoHotkey forum is the only website I've seen that looks like it could actually crash my PC (other pages crash only individual/all IE tabs).
- So, perhaps something isn't designed optimally, and perhaps some code could be added to disable something if the browser is IE, or perhaps a forum/url option for reduced appearance, improved performance.
- The forum really benefits from automation, and IE is still the best browser for automation.
[EDIT:] I meant *automation* (e.g. resize posts on the old forum), *not* mass web scraping.
Last edited by jeeswg on 28 Jul 2019, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
nnnik

04 Jul 2019, 06:07

We switched to a different codebox since the old one got discontinued.
The new one is in no way made for IE.
We will not adjust the site for IE.
Automating the forums actually isnt allowed.
There are better browsers for automation since they actually have the ability to work on websites - it's just very easy with IE in AHK.
Recommends AHK Studio
jeeswg

04 Jul 2019, 15:40

- The slowness is affecting Firefox as well, try this:
[Class] eAutocomplete - Custom word completion for (Rich)Edit controls - Page 2 - AutoHotkey Community
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48940&start=20

- AFAIK the slowness issue started occurring some time after the new-style 'code' tags codebox was introduced.
- If 'code=text' were re-implemented (it used to work), that could prevent unnecessary processing.
- Is there some way to disable the scripts via IE? That could be a good workaround.
- The only serious alternative to IE we have right now is Chrome.ahk, but that needs to be made (slightly) more user-friendly, and forces you to use Chrome.
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
nnnik

04 Jul 2019, 16:05

As far as Im concerned code tags aren't used to store large lists.
You one-sidedly decided that they should be used for that and now are suprised when it doesn't work.
Recommends AHK Studio
jeeswg

04 Jul 2019, 17:26

- What tag do you one-sidedly use for long lists?
- 'code' tags have 2 advantages over 'quote' tags and 'list' tags: they allow expand/collapse, and preserve spaces/tabs:
Spoiler
Last edited by jeeswg on 05 Jul 2019, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
joedf

04 Jul 2019, 21:21

What are doing here.... ? :think:
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
nnnik

04 Jul 2019, 23:17

A list Tag is the correct tag for a list.
Recommends AHK Studio
jeeswg

05 Jul 2019, 07:39

- @nnnik: 'list' tags are a poor choice. I've amended my post above to show the drawbacks.

- @joedf: I've listed pages that are slow in IE and Firefox.
- What 'code' tags do is relatively simple, parse and highlight, and I don't recall similar problems with any other phpBB site.
- I think either nnnik missed the point or he likes arguing. He argued against using IE and 'code=text' tags. (But what about Firefox, and 'code' tags used for *code*?)
nnnik

05 Jul 2019, 07:43

There is no nee to preserve spaces at the start or the end - they do not belong there.
We could add a scrollbar to long lists - that wouldn't be an issue.
Recommends AHK Studio
jeeswg

05 Jul 2019, 07:57

- @nnnik: We're talking about 'code' tags with lots of code or raw text (lists/paragraphs/calculations).
- Lists per se are almost irrelevant. (Sometimes we need to preserve spaces/tabs *within* lines, for quotes/lists, but 'code' tags already do this.) (You can add scrollbars to 'quote'/'list' tags, although I don't personally want this.)
- Restoring the 'code=text' tag, to do no parsing/highlighting, would be useful for raw text and (if users wanted) for long code.
- The problem is that multiple AHK webpages are slow to open in multiple browsers. This is a fundamental problem for the website.
Helgef

05 Jul 2019, 08:16

The best fix would be to limit large posts, use the file attachment if you want to share a larger amount of data.

Edit, well put @joedf :thumbup:
Last edited by Helgef on 05 Jul 2019, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
joedf

05 Jul 2019, 08:56

good point, forums are for discussing, helping and sharing but not maybe not for dictionaries... ;/
jeeswg

05 Jul 2019, 10:04

- @Helgef/@joedf: I don't see attachments as a solution.
- The performance is pretty bad on Firefox even for short posts.
- Attachments wouldn't 'help' with old posts, only new posts. And we've had enough problems trying to get people to use 'code' tags on new posts.
- I find searchable/copiable/quotable code etc far more convenient than attachments, even when pages are slow-loading.
- (Anyhow, bigger posts were *not* a problem in previous incarnations of this website.)
nnnik

05 Jul 2019, 16:08

I don't have any issues with the short post you shared.
I do have a slight delay with the long post you shared.
My Pc is extremly old and is what I would consider bare minimum.
If you still have issues the problem lies with your internet connection, PC or browser.
Recommends AHK Studio
joedf

06 Jul 2019, 13:14

/me starts a fund for a new pc for nnnik :hehe:
tank

06 Jul 2019, 20:45

WTF you're going to make me want to going to make me employ some anti scraping solutions arent you. Actually, pissing off you automating this forum might just become my new hobby. Dont come in here complaining about automating this forum or i will......hmmm making anyone loading more than x pages in x seconds get ever and ever increasingly slow wouldnt actually be that hard. keep bitching
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

Return to “Forum Issues”