Any time limit on editing your posts? Topic is solved

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
ahketype

Any time limit on editing your posts?

01 Feb 2019, 07:49

Hi, could you tell me if there's a time limit on editing my posts, please? I think the best way to update a script I'm writing is to change the code box in the OP rather than keep posting a new version, and say that's what I'm doing, but I don't want to say that and come back one day to find I can't edit it - it would lead to confusion for readers.
TIA
nnnik

Re: Any time limit on editing your posts?  Topic is solved

01 Feb 2019, 07:57

If you want to host sripts like that it's possible. You can always edit your own own posts.
If we decide to change that, then the staff probably wouldn't mind helping you update the posts.

Regardless I would reccomend hosting scripts on external hosts with git.
Git is the standard for version management of source code.
Combined with an online host you can publically share new versions with your users easily.
GitHub or GitLab appear to be the most commonly used platforms for this.
Recommends AHK Studio
ahketype

Re: Any time limit on editing your posts?

01 Feb 2019, 08:05

Cheers nnnik, that was quick! Good to know I can use it that way for now. It's on my todo list to finally get my head round GitHub - the times I go there, I hardly understand anything, it's so full of jargon. But it's obviously going to be the way to go. "Combined with an online host..."? - doesn't GitHub host versions for you? - anyway, no matter, I'll read the instructions myself! Thanks.
nnnik

01 Feb 2019, 08:56

Git and github are 2 seperate things. Git is a tool for version control that anyone can use locally to backup their work.
Git runs on the command line and there are several versions of it available (I reccomend https://github.com/dahlbyk/posh-git/wiki)
For that you create a repository - a project folder that contains your projects files
make some changes in the repository - well you change the folders contents
add them to git - using the git command git add (which files you want to add here)
and save them to the repository - for that you use git commit -m 'Make your comment about the new changes - first line is the title of the change`nthe next lines are the full documentation'

The real power of git however comes from the ability to share these saved changes with other repositories on other PCs.
They are called remotes.
With the git push command you can upload the changes that you made to a remote repository.
With git pull you can download changes made from a remote to your local repository.
With git clone you can set up a local repository from a remote one.

Services like github and similar essentially just offer to host those remote repositories for you.
They often have a lot of other features - like a webinterface to browse your own and other repositories - or adding documentation or a wiki.
However the very basic tool is still git.
Recommends AHK Studio
ahketype

01 Feb 2019, 10:50

Cool, thanks again.

Return to “Forum Issues”