Phishing attempt sent to AHK email address

Discuss issues and requests related with the forum software
0sync0

Phishing attempt sent to AHK email address

23 Jun 2019, 21:36

I use a unique email address for each web site that requires registration. Today I received a phishing attempt sent to the email address that is used exclusively for this forum.
ahk7

Re: Phishing attempt sent to AHK email address

24 Jun 2019, 10:51

I got one from Jagex noreply @ a . runescape . com - perhaps that is from the very old problem with the former owner of this AHK domain and is a known runescape [...]
joedf

24 Jun 2019, 16:36

This could have been from a previous attack, part of the DB was exposed. So we forced a password reset for everyone. Quite possibly, the exposed data is still being used for emails... :/
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
gregster

24 Jun 2019, 16:48

This could have been from a previous attack, part of the DB was exposed. So we forced a password reset for everyone.
I think that was before this user even registered (around Nov 2015) - at least on this forum incarnation, but (s)he might have used the same address already on the previous forum and re-registered here... ?!?

Depending on the complexity of the e-mail address, it could be also be a dictionary or random/trial-and-error "attack". I have sometimes received (malicious) emails to non-trivial email addresses that I never used before, not even once - if you wait long enough (like a few years), the likelihood that you get an email anyway at some point in time, definitely grows... with a computer thingie you can automate a lot of things ;)

Return to “Forum Issues”