Alibaba

Re: Welcome and if you need help

05 Dec 2013, 18:03

You're welcome.
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
Twayne

06 Dec 2013, 13:44

In my case it's a stroke of luck finding this particular forum; Google to the rescue again!

I'm a complete newbie to AHK but amongst all I've looked it, it seems to be the most promising.

From all the reading I've done over the last few days, I think I'm here to stay. I've tried several other macro programs and this one is the one that seems best to work as I like to work. If I ever get a solid hold on the basics, or course; I have lots of questions. And a few opinions too but I'll save those for the proper venue, no worry!

Glad you're here!
Windows 7 Home Premium; AHK v1.1.13.01; Do Websites in HTML4 & 5, CSS3, PHP 5.5; Looking for automation of processes.
joedf

06 Dec 2013, 13:54

Well, on behalf of AHKScript.org, I welcome you and
hope that you have a great time here. :D
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
garretthylltun

28 Dec 2013, 16:54

it's been a while since I last used AHK. On the other forum my last posts were in 2005. I am returning for a revisit to see if AHK can replace VDS(Visual DialogScript, which died out, author went MIA). Now I see and understand there was recently some sort of drama which caused the community to split. That is very very unfortunate because the community is the most important part anything. Whether I stick with AHK or not, I do hope that this split doesn't destroy the AHK community and I also hope that it can eventually be brought back together, sooner than later as the longer it stays like this the harder it will be to have a single strong community again.

Now, this leads me to the following; does this community split have any impact on who is developing AHK or does this have any impact on the development of AHK? I know Chris was working AHK back in the day, is he still involved in it's development? Either way, is the development of AHK in danger due to these recent events?

My reason for asking is simple... If AHK is near death, I wish not to waste my time getting involved with it in a split community. I have been involved in VDS since the late 90's and while it is a dead unsupported language, the community, the sole single combined community is still there, still helping anyone who shows up seeking help for VDS. Even I still show up there on a daily basis.

Regardless of the rantings of this old geezer here, I do offer my advice... Someone in this split community needs to step up and restore this community to a single community again. Those involved need to get over their issues and work together again or move on or over for the better of the community. This isn't and shouldn't be about any single person, it's about an entire community. I've never seen a split community survive long.
fincs

28 Dec 2013, 17:09

Hi garretthylltun,

Long story short:
  • Mid-2009 - Chris lost interest in AutoHotkey. Lexikos began developing what was then a fork of AutoHotkey named AutoHotkey_L (AHK_L).
  • 2009-2012 - AHK_L development flourished with many longtime desired functionality, such as Unicode, COM, arrays/objects and many others; some of which implemented by fellow community members. It had become the de-facto official AHK version.
  • 2012 - Chris decided to transfer ownership of the domain and the data to polyethene (formerly known as Titan).
  • Mid-2012 - polyethene decided to "restore" the old 2009 AutoHotkey as the official version for still not understood reasons, removing all references to AHK_L in the main autohotkey.com site and performing questionable moderator actions. Immediate backslash ensued, and eventually a petition to finally make AutoHotkey_L the official version was made.
  • 2011 - Lexikos started developing AutoHotkey v2-alpha.
  • Late 2012 - AutoHotkey_L became the official branch, now renamed to just "AutoHotkey" or AHK 1.1 to be specific. Lexikos officially became the AHK maintainer. Download links were updated accordingly.
  • Late 2012 - autohotkey.net was hacked and all files were lost.
  • 2013 - polyethene became completely missing, meanwhile the old forum (which had gone through two upgrades, phpBB2->phpBB3->IP Boards) riddled in bugs.
  • October 2013 - tank stepped in, tired of the forum bugs, and created this site. The community flooded over here (including all prominent members such as Lexikos, SKAN, tidbit or many others), basically leaving autohotkey.com in a state of stagnation. Administration of ahkscript.org was defined to work in a cooperative way, with many people with varying power levels (instead of just forum moderators and site plenipotentiary).
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
garretthylltun

28 Dec 2013, 17:26

Thanks fincs,

One last question; where is the latest official version that was known as AutoHotkey_L? And where will it be located for now?
fincs

28 Dec 2013, 17:42

It can be found here: http://l.autohotkey.net/AutoHotkey_L_Install.exe, accessible by the download button at both autohotkey.com and ahkscript.org.
For now it's hosted at l.autohotkey.net, but in the future it may be relocated here. The online documentation is already hosted here (the one at autohotkey.com still refers to 2009 era AutoHotkey 1.0.48.05).
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
tank

28 Dec 2013, 17:45

I think I may use that blurb as is for a site history page. We are very much alive and well. only the domain has changed
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
joedf

28 Dec 2013, 17:58

I must say, that is an excellent post fincs!
I have saved it, I suggest to have a "history/origin of ahkscript.org" page or something.. :)
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
garretthylltun

28 Dec 2013, 18:16

would be helpful for new users who might get confused by the split and old geezers like me who've been away far too long. Also, can someone put a list of links together of resources such as editors and other tools related. I'm having a hard time finding these things now.

Also, are there any code archives with examples and snippets available that coincide with this new version?

And thanks for all the info. Really helped me get sorted out on what and where.
~Garrett
fincs

28 Dec 2013, 18:45

Shameless SciTE4AutoHotkey drop.
I wrote:SciTE4AutoHotkey (screenshot) is a SciTE-based AutoHotkey script editor. It provides:
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Calltips (also known as IntelliSense)
  • AutoComplete
  • AutoIndent
  • AutoHotkey help integration
  • Abbreviations
  • Editing macros
  • Debugging support (requires AutoHotkey v1.1+)
  • Tools for AutoHotkey scripting
  • A toolbar that enables easy access to the tools
Website
Supported OSes: Windows XP SP3+ (32-bit), Windows Vista (32/64-bit), Windows 7 (32/64-bit) and Windows 8.x (32/64-bit)
fincs
smorgasbord

29 Dec 2013, 06:29

@fincs i love that Shameless SciTE4AutoHotkey drop.

cannot even imagine opening a new ahk code without it :)

salutations and respect for this :)
John ... you working ?
joedf

29 Dec 2013, 07:13

+1 :D
And with my Monokai theme! :D
Yayayayayayayaya! :) :3
http://ahkscript.org/boards/viewtopic.p ... &t=69#p344
LazyMan

14 Jan 2014, 01:19

Well, this explains the changes I noticed over at AutoHotkey. Obviously, a lot can happen in a year's absence.
tuncay

28 May 2014, 12:48

Hi guys. I am not sure if the community split makes me sad, on some point it does. On the other hand, this new community is a new start. I feel right home with the old forum layout. I am not sure what happened, as I wasn't for years in the community anymore. Taking such a step means something big. I wish you all good luck!
joedf

28 May 2014, 13:11

Welcome back tuncay! :D
tuncay

28 May 2014, 13:17

Thanks joedf. It is always the same, I just take a break and then whole communites are splitting up.
joedf

28 May 2014, 13:32

you're possibly right... :(
Im hoping this is the right one... ;)
smorgasbord

28 May 2014, 23:49

Morpheus wrote:http://www.autohotkey.com/ has gone 404. Permanent or temporary?
its back.
John ... you working ?

Return to “Forum Issues”