Default GUI for simple tasks like keyboard and mouse mapping?

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
A Keymaker

Default GUI for simple tasks like keyboard and mouse mapping?

17 Feb 2023, 07:53

Are there maybe plans to make some sort of GUI to make it possible for easy creation and sharing of pieces of codes?

Something that would look like HotkeyP or X-Mouse Button Control for expanding capabilities of mice? Something that would act alike to some propriety software of gaming / programmable keyboards? Or is AutoHotkey to remain [provide users] only with its script like approach

I might sound like I am an insolent person, with me being just a small time code tweaker, but here it goes: it stuns me that despite so many years of development and a large communities around it [and around also e.g. Autolt] there is still no such GUI. It is if AutoHotkey is stuck in the DOS era and perfectly happy with just individual users being able to write their own versions of elements of Norton Commander, being oblivious to how Windows looks like
swagfag

Re: Default GUI for simple tasks like keyboard and mouse mapping?

17 Feb 2023, 08:28

i imagine its because Lexikos would rather spend his time developing AutoHotkey, the programming language, than waste it supporting ur imagined AutoHotkey Rebinding GUI, being forced to respond to the inevitable avalanche of "scripting 101" threads that would surely follow(just look at the kinds of threads Pulover's Macro Creator is getting)

its a catch22 with these types of scripts really. those that can write them, dont need them. those that would need them, cant write them

also, doing hotkeys properly is anything but a simple task
kczx3

17 Feb 2023, 11:01

swagfag wrote:
those that can write them, dont need them. those that would need them, cant write them
This applies to sooooo many things. A very common problem.
A Keymaker

25 Feb 2023, 14:55

swagfag wrote:
[...]
its a catch22 with these types of scripts really. those that can write them, dont need them. those that would need them, cant write them
[...]
I think think this sums it up perfectly

But if anyone else has something to add, then please do
boiler

25 Feb 2023, 19:26

Since you asked: What seems like an obvious extension of AHK to you would actually be tailoring it to your personal preferred usage. Someone else surely thinks that a GUI-based hotstring manager is a no-brainer for a built-in feature. Someone else likely thinks that a window management GUI should be a built-in extension to AHK. The point being that not everyone's (or anyone's) personal preferences for how the language is to be used should be built-in. All of these things and of course many more are already available as scripts you can freely use. There is no reason to bloat the language itself with them.

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”