Option 1: Completely new icons
Option 2: Current icons, but remastered
Attachments
Icons.7z
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
SaulHJL

Re: [Suggestion] A new icon

16 Jun 2023, 14:01

Nice effort, gets my vote, but the vote that counts, i guess, will be the main dev(s)!
Last edited by gregster on 16 Jun 2023, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unrelated posts about post approval were moved to a separate topic in 'Forum Issues'.
lexikos

17 Jun 2023, 02:21

[The current official icon] fits Win8 or maybe early Win10, but both of them were actual about 10 years ago.
I designed it to fit in with other icons on my taskbar; specifically the Windows 11 standard icons for Explorer and Notepad, and the similarly-themed Visual Studio and VS Code. If they also fit Windows 10, that's great, given its still-significant market share. Part of the motivation was to make it fit better with dark and light taskbar themes, and part was just to make it different to v1.

The current icon bitmaps are generated from vector art (SVG) at the appropriate sizes, and the resulting main icon resource is only 5.41KB. You can see in the comparison with the "remastered" icon that the current icon does not include the larger size used in the thumbnail; this was intentionally omitted because it is exponentially larger while being fairly useless. Comparing the "remastered" icons to originals just using Details view in Explorer (at 150% DPI), I can't tell any difference except that your files are more than 10 times larger.

I like your larger new icons more than others that have been put forward, but not so much the smaller versions, on a dark background (dark mode Explorer or taskbar). And having already made my own and released v2.0, I'm not inclined to change it at this point.

I like your idea for compiled scripts, but compiled scripts are based on the same EXE and therefore have exactly the same icon resource. Having a different icon (default or otherwise) would have to be implemented by Ahk2Exe.
guest3456

17 Jun 2023, 08:48

a nice icon design for sure.. most suggestions are no good, but this one is really nice

OddMorning

17 Jun 2023, 09:45

lexikos wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 02:21
I can't tell any difference except that your files are more than 10 times larger.
My bad, I had no idea that .ico files even could be compressed (like it's a super old format containing several raw bitmaps, what new it could suggest?).
Now the 256x256 icon is barely 2 times larger (9.6 kb), and the 64x64 is even smaller than the original one (4.1 kb). They don't include 28x28 resolution (I didn't include it since none of Win10/11 icons has it), but it still would be smaller even if it had one (4.8 kb) due to pixel perfect graphics.
Size comparision
Anyway, my goal was not to make an HD icon, but make it look better at smaller resolutions (like system tray). Downscaling vectors is not much better than downscaling bitmaps: for example, a pixel or vector point at X=29 will be at X=14.5 after being downscaled twice, resulting in two semitransparent pixels at X=14 and X=15 (which shouldn't be a problem for high DPI screens, but it still catches the eye on less modern displays). That's why I had to correct every resolution by hand. The shape of "H" physically can't be the same with that approach, but I personally would most likely prefer a sharp icon over a 100% proper but blurry one.

the smaller versions [look bad] on a dark background
Yeah, I think you're right. Though the icon itself doesn't stand out that much I think, the "H" blends with green background in dark mode (unlike, for example, a note icon on the left of the screenshot).
Dark mode
The green background probably could be darker, but it doesn't really matter since you're going to stick up with original icons. Anyway, thank you for the reply!
Attachments
Icons (Compressed).7z
Remastered icons but compressed
(535.41 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
lexikos

18 Jun 2023, 03:57

The .ico file isn't compressed; the individual bitmaps are just in PNG format. I didn't do anything special to make it small - just exported to PNG with default settings in Inkscape.

Your first set of remastered ico files already contained compressed bitmaps. A raw 256x256 32-bit bitmap would be 262,144 bytes of raw image data, not counting the file header. Your main file was only 46,203 bytes, and that was including the other sizes.
OddMorning

18 Jun 2023, 04:53

lexikos wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 03:57
The .ico file isn't compressed; the individual bitmaps are just in PNG format.
Technically, PNG is a compressed format (well, even more compressed than what's used in .ico by default), and in the previous post I converted 32-bit Bitmaps to PNGs to match your icons format. That's why I called those icons compressed. Bad wording :?
iseahound

19 Jun 2023, 11:27

+1 I'd support the "H" file icon—that should have no impact on the size of the executable.
lexikos

19 Jun 2023, 19:30

The .ahk file icon is currently included in the executable. Some scripts may rely on this.
iseahound

22 Jun 2023, 16:20

Would it be worth associating the .ahk file with a larger 256x256 icon, while retaining the legacy icons in the ahk exe for backwards compatibility? The new icon is much cooler, and I like the pixel optimized small icons as well.

Also, I believe that the .ico file can contain a larger than 256x256 icon by including a PNG - but I don't know if Windows 11 would be able to accurately display such a large icon on a 300% DPI scaled 4k TV for example.

Finally regarding compression: you'd have to throw the individual PNG's into something like https://tinypng.com/ which preforms compression that seeks to retain visually noticeable detail.

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”