remove all commands

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
amnesiac

remove all commands

15 Feb 2014, 18:52

I have read through the v2-thoughts. v2 sounds like it is just a transition vesion now.
Why not remove all commands to get better consistency (use functions, built-in var or object to replace it)?
AutoHotkey 学习指南(Beauty of AutoHotkey)
I do not make codes, and only a porter of AutoHotkey: from official to Chinese, from other languages to AutoHotkey, and show AutoHotkey to ordinary users sometimes.
fincs

Re: v2-thoughts Discussion

15 Feb 2014, 19:35

In fact, 'commands' and 'functions' are planned to become the same thing in the final version of AHKv2, according to lexikos. Currently ex-commands can be called with function syntax and viceversa.
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
amnesiac

15 Feb 2014, 19:57

fincs wrote:In fact, 'commands' and 'functions' are planned to become the same thing in the final version of AHKv2, according to lexikos. Currently ex-commands can be called with function syntax and viceversa.
Thanks for your explanation. What I worry about is that if I move to v2 now, it may be a great trouble when v2 may break the compatibility some day.
I do not make codes, and only a porter of AutoHotkey: from official to Chinese, from other languages to AutoHotkey, and show AutoHotkey to ordinary users sometimes.
lexikos

15 Feb 2014, 20:15

fincs wrote:StdLib: Yes to everything.
There are two mutually-exclusive possibilities presented under the Standard Library heading. You can't have everything.
fincs wrote:Replace default base object with Value, String, Integer, Float and Object classes.
What is your view on reserving these names for this purpose? I am against it.

amnesiac wrote:What I worry about is that if I move to v2 now, it may be a great trouble when v2 may break the compatibility some day.
I don't think that's relevant to this thread, but anyway,
[url=http://ahkscript.org/v2/]Recently[/url], I wrote: As the feature set, behaviour and syntax aren't yet set in stone, [v2] is not recommended for general use.
amnesiac

15 Feb 2014, 20:32

lexikos wrote:
amnesiac wrote:What I worry about is that if I move to v2 now, it may be a great trouble when v2 may break the compatibility some day.
I don't think that's relevant to this thread, but anyway,
Sorry for that. Maybe I should post it to the Wish List? Please feel free to move it (and this maybe) to the appropriate place.
lexikos wrote: I don't think that's relevant to this thread, but anyway,
[url=http://ahkscript.org/v2/]Recently[/url], I wrote: As the feature set, behaviour and syntax aren't yet set in stone, [v2] is not recommended for general use.
Thank you. I would move to v2 after its syntax is stable.

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”