6th Anniversary

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
lexikos
Posts: 6855
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 04:07
GitHub: Lexikos

6th Anniversary

23 Mar 2017, 03:57

Today (in some time zones) was the 6th anniversary of my first commit on the v2 branch.

It just so happened that I was listing all commits unique to the v2 branch and noticed the date on the first commit.

There are 522 commits unique to the v2 branch, including 516 by Lexikos, 6 by fincs and none by anyone else.

To be fair, I'm currently reviewing the result of merging another 60 commits from fincs' Gui branch. (Thanks, fincs.)

Commits per year may provide a rough measure of my motivation and level of interest in the project:

2011 222
2012 48
2013 28
2014 122
2015 64
2016 26
2017 6

GitHub's graph shows a slightly different story, and probably more accurate since I think it works by number of lines changed rather than commits. GitHub doesn't yet show the Gui changes, which involved quite a lot of work but only one commit so far (the merge commit).

I never expected v2 to blow up into such a large project, so I guess that seeing how much was left in 2012 was a big blow to my motivation. I've gone months at a time each year without touching the project. That is largely due to doubts about how I think the final syntax should be vs. how much of AutoHotkey's "identity" to preserve. However, I am determined to finish the project, and I hope that 2017 will be the year.
User avatar
jNizM
Posts: 2613
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 01:33
GitHub: jNizM
Contact:

Re: 6th Anniversary

23 Mar 2017, 04:02

Happy Birthday and thanks for your great work so far :happybday:
[AHK] 1.1.32.00 x64 Unicode | [WIN] 10 Pro (Version 2004) x64 | [GitHub] Profile
Donations are appreciated if I could help you
Coco
Posts: 771
Joined: 29 Sep 2013, 20:37
GitHub: cocobelgica

Re: 6th Anniversary

23 Mar 2017, 07:48

Thanks Lexikos, looking forward to V2's stable release.
guest3456
Posts: 3108
Joined: 09 Oct 2013, 10:31

Re: 6th Anniversary

23 Mar 2017, 09:24

lexikos wrote:To be fair, I'm currently reviewing the result of merging another 60 commits from fincs' Gui branch. (Thanks, fincs.)
If these changes make it, will the Gui command still exist or be removed entirely?
lexikos wrote: I never expected v2 to blow up into such a large project, so I guess that seeing how much was left in 2012 was a big blow to my motivation. I've gone months at a time each year without touching the project.
What do you think about reaching out to HotKeyIt for some help? Surely he could take some of the load if he has free time. Perhaps you can move your "todo list" that you want to complete for a stable release to GitHub Issues?
lexikos wrote: That is largely due to doubts about how I think the final syntax should be vs. how much of AutoHotkey's "identity" to preserve.
Ultimately, AutoHotkey v2 is now YOUR project, so I think you should lean towards what YOU think it "should be" versus its historical "identity"
lexikos wrote:However, I am determined to finish the project, and I hope that 2017 will be the year.
This is good news. Thanks for all of your hard work over the years

lexikos
Posts: 6855
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 04:07
GitHub: Lexikos

Re: 6th Anniversary

23 Mar 2017, 22:37

guest3456 wrote:If these changes make it, will the Gui command still exist or be removed entirely?
I tried to avoid saying anything about my plans in this topic as I wanted to avoid it becoming Q & A.

See Proposed New GUI API for AutoHotkey v2.

I have also posted a test build and my thoughts on the API.
What do you think about reaching out to HotKeyIt for some help?
HotKeyIt or anyone else who wants to contribute to this project has been free to do so from the beginning. Perhaps because of the way I became involved with AutoHotkey, if someone isn't interested enough to contribute without being asked, I'm not inclined to ask.
Perhaps you can move your "todo list" that you want to complete for a stable release to GitHub Issues?
First I would have to make all of the decisions, then I would have to write a concrete TODO list. The step of posting each item to GitHub sounds like it would be/create more work for me, with only a chance of returning helpful contributions. Given the rarity of past contribution (on any branch), the idea does not appeal to me.

I have v2-thoughts and a short list of unrefined notes. Most of what remains in v2-thoughts are "maybes", not plans that someone else can follow. I suppose that someone can interpret and implement the ideas however they like, and if the result is not acceptable, at least it brings the ideas closer to plans.
User avatar
Coderooney
Posts: 46
Joined: 23 Mar 2017, 22:41

Re: 6th Anniversary

23 Mar 2017, 23:27

Wow I have been using AHK for 3 years and by coincidence, have only today discovered the whole history/politics behind it all. It is amazing to see how far it has come and what kind of community has resulted from it. Now knowing the history of AHK, I'm grateful for all you have done/continue to do for AHK, Lexikos. Thank you!!
sancarn
Posts: 224
Joined: 01 Mar 2016, 14:52

Re: 6th Anniversary

24 Mar 2017, 11:52

lexikos wrote:Today (in some time zones) was the 6th anniversary of my first commit on the v2 branch.
Congratulations!! :happybday:
I never expected v2 to blow up into such a large project, so I guess that seeing how much was left in 2012 was a big blow to my motivation. I've gone months at a time each year without touching the project. That is largely due to doubts about how I think the final syntax should be vs. how much of AutoHotkey's "identity" to preserve. However, I am determined to finish the project, and I hope that 2017 will be the year.
I think this is fairly common when it comes to big projects... I am often 'naive' when it comes to predicting how long it will take me to refactor/extend something. I think it will be extremely simple... But then half way through the project I either:

1) Realise, now with a wealth of new experience, I could have done everything much better.
2) Move onto another smaller project because the majority of the fun, for me, comes from solving the problem in my mind and not from coding the solution into a reality...

The above have happened to me many times, with several big projects... Most notably my compiler and my Screenflow API.

Though with all projects, they are not dead. They live on, even if they are infrequently updated... One day I'll get back to them :) As you still appear to be getting back to AHK every once in a while! :)

Anyway, my 2 cents.
SirRFI
Posts: 404
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 16:52

Re: 6th Anniversary

30 Apr 2017, 08:01

My story with AHK has begun when I needed something that would press a key every few seconds. Overtime, I kept developing my script, also made several others for different purposes. Now I have various object/class based scripts, that even communicate between each other using various tactics, and even made a program for diploma work purpose and defended my title. I am glad I found AHK, and I am really thankful to everyone who contributed. I am eager to see what v2 turns out to be. Wish I could contribute even a little, but it's still very far from my level.
Use

Code: Select all

[/c] forum tag to share your code.
Click on [b]✔[/b] ([b][i]Accept this answer[/i][/b]) on top-right part of the post if it has answered your question / solved your problem.
just me
Posts: 7097
Joined: 02 Oct 2013, 08:51
Location: Germany

Re: 6th Anniversary

04 May 2017, 07:11

lexikos wrote:However, I am determined to finish the project, and I hope that 2017 will be the year.
After the recent decisions about the new GUI API and the command syntax, do you still see a chance for 2017?
lexikos
Posts: 6855
Joined: 30 Sep 2013, 04:07
GitHub: Lexikos

Re: 6th Anniversary

04 May 2017, 23:07

You say it like those are things that have come up since I posted this topic. All that's changed is I have a better idea of the specifics of the GUI API (I mentioned I was already working on it when this topic started). All of the major changes are done, including some I have not published, so I don't imagine it will delay the project.

As for command syntax, I was reasonably sure I would remove it when I decided to merge fincs' work, and that was part of the reason (direct translation of the GUI commands to expressions would... not be ideal). Part of my conviction to remove commands is that it will ultimately mean *less* work for me.

In the first place, I didn't give an ETA, only a hope. There's no way I can estimate how much progress I'll make over several months; I don't know how much time I will spend, or even if it will hold my interest.
just me
Posts: 7097
Joined: 02 Oct 2013, 08:51
Location: Germany

Re: 6th Anniversary

05 May 2017, 02:33

Hope dies last. ;)
User avatar
hoppfrosch
Posts: 405
Joined: 07 Oct 2013, 04:05
GitHub: hoppfrosch
Location: Rhine-Maine-Area, Hesse, Germany
Contact:

Re: 6th Anniversary

05 May 2017, 03:40

Hopefully hopes get true ;-)
User avatar
Soft
Posts: 174
Joined: 07 Jan 2015, 13:18
GitHub: visionary1
Location: Seoul
Contact:

Re: 6th Anniversary

07 May 2017, 00:54

so it is happening! :)
much appreciated for your hard work lexikos
AutoHotkey & AutoHotkey_H v1.1.22.07
User avatar
kczx3
Posts: 1097
Joined: 06 Oct 2015, 21:39

Re: 6th Anniversary

18 Jan 2020, 08:08

I was reading through older pages of this subforum and came across this post. I remember reading it and recall the excitement I had. While the goal set out in this post wasn't necessarily achieved, you've made significant progress to V2.

No one besides you will ever know when V2 is "finished" to be properly released but I look forward to when that day comes. Thanks for all your work!

Return to “AutoHotkey v2 Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barbudo2005, dagiccross and 30 guests