Rename executable

Discuss the future of the AutoHotkey language
toralf

Rename executable

07 May 2014, 11:46

I would like to propose/wish to rename the executable on the download side to e.g. AutoHotkeyV2U32 and AutoHotkeyV2U64.

The reason is that I'm currently writing a script that helps to change the AHK versions.
If the download of V2 and all its future updates would have a distinct filename I could store all files in one directory.

I currently have:
AutoHotkey - 1.0.48.05.exe
AutoHotkeyA32.exe
AutoHotkeyU32.exe
AutoHotkeyU64.exe
AutoHotkeyV2U32.exe
AutoHotkeyV2U64.exe

The same I have for the CHM and Bin files and the AHK2Exe converter.

Thus switching between the versions only requires a copy to the "normal/standard" names.

If these files do not get another name, I could workaround by extending the script to download and rename the files automatically.
ciao
toralf
fincs

Re: Rename executable

07 May 2014, 11:47

AutoHotkey v2 is not yet production and should only be used for testing and feedback. I currently have installed v2 as %AutoHotkeyDir%\v2-alpha\x86\AutoHotkey.exe and %AutoHotkeyDir%\v2-alpha\x64\AutoHotkey.exe (and SciTE4AutoHotkey supports this setup with the Platform selection button).
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
toralf

07 May 2014, 11:55

I'm aware that it is still under development and only for testing.

It might work in your environment but in mine I have to copy the files to the "standard" names to switch versions for testing.
ciao
toralf
strobo

07 May 2014, 16:16

One can easily compile an autohotkey.exe which checks the first line of the script for a ;shebang, sth like:
;#!path\to\autohotkey_version
In the past, I used a .exe like this for other interpreters but I cannot find the .exe or source.
lexikos

07 May 2014, 22:49

toralf wrote:If these files do not get another name, I could workaround by extending the script to download and rename the files automatically.
Surely that would have been easier than starting this thread and quicker than waiting for the change to be made?

It's certainly easier on me. ;)

Is your script extracting each file and then moving it into place? If so, it can simply move each file to AutoHotkey\WhateverNameYouWant.exe. (On second thought, maybe your script doesn't do the download yet. Perhaps it should - easier for the users that way, or easier for you when an update comes out.)

What if someone has a script which downloads the archive and extracts it into the AutoHotkey directory to update/install AutoHotkey? In that case, it would be more convenient to name it AutoHotkey.exe. That reminds me - I have that script...
joedf

05 Jun 2014, 20:23

fincs wrote:... (and SciTE4AutoHotkey supports this setup with the Platform selection button).
Cool! I shall use this setup. :)
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

Return to “AutoHotkey Development”