How can you extract the full path of the photo visible in photo gallery? Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey and its commands and hotkeys
colt

How can you extract the full path of the photo visible in photo gallery?

14 May 2018, 17:05

I am having trouble finding a way to extract the full path of the image that is shown in photo gallery. Windows spy only shows the filename and extension. This is a good start but does not help if there are multiple images with the same name in different folders. Additionally, I tried looking at the command line arguments used to launch photo gallery using the following code

Code: Select all

for process in ComObjGet("winmgmts:").ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Process")
    processes .= process.Name "  -  " process.ExecutablePath "  -  " process.CommandLine "`n"
MsgBox % processes
but the relevant output was
WLXPhotoGallery.exe - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\WLXPhotoGallery.exe - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\WLXPhotoGallery.exe" /PhotoViewerComServer {00F30F64-AC33-42F5-8FD1-5DC2D3FDE06C} -Embedding
As far as I can tell this does not give any useful information.

As a worst case scenario I could send alt+enter to popup the properties pane and get the full path from the security tab.
Any ideas on an alternative?
jeeswg

Re: How can you extract the full path of the photo visible in photo gallery?  Topic is solved

14 May 2018, 17:33

This is what I use on Windows 7 (using the clipboard). Cheers.

#IfWinActive ahk_class Photo_Lightweight_Viewer ;windows photo viewer / windows live photo gallery
^p:: ;windows photo viewer - get file path
Clipboard := ""
SendInput, ^c
ClipWait, 3
vPath := Clipboard
;MsgBox, % vPath
return
#IfWinActive
Btw command-line arguments usually only contain the path of the *first* file to be opened (the user may have since opened a different file).
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
colt

Re: How can you extract the full path of the photo visible in photo gallery?

14 May 2018, 17:48

That is a dirty trick. Would have never tried that.
Btw command-line arguments usually only contain the path of the *first* file to be opened (the user may have since opened a different file).
Good point. I was hoping I could get the path of at least the starting folder and then make some heavy assumptions with the rest of my script.
jeeswg

Re: How can you extract the full path of the photo visible in photo gallery?

14 May 2018, 18:05

- Yeah, it's always unfortunate when you have to use the clipboard or temporarily show a dialog, but it's great to at least have something.
- It's curious programs that ultimately omit the path from the command-line arguments. I suppose that they open secondary processes, but they must transmit that information *somehow*.
- I tested, and it's not too bad to get paths from multiple open windows.

q:: ;windows photo viewer - get file paths
WinGet, vWinList, List, ahk_class Photo_Lightweight_Viewer
vOutput := ""
Loop, % vWinList
{
	hWnd := vWinList%A_Index%
	Clipboard := ""
	ControlSend,, ^c, % "ahk_id " hWnd
	ClipWait, 3
	vPath := Clipboard
	vOutput .= vPath "`r`n"
}
;Clipboard := vOutput
MsgBox, % vOutput
return
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA

Return to “Ask For Help”