Bootcamps for coding

Get help with using AutoHotkey and its commands and hotkeys
speedskis777

Bootcamps for coding

10 Jan 2019, 11:32

Hi guys, I’m looking for recommendations. What do you think about the coding bootcamps that are out there today? Mostly the in-person bootcamps.

I’d love to get a job as a programmer, but without a ton of experience and no formal CS degree (master’s in music), I’m sure I could use something like this both for the skills and the resume. But I do have a bit of skepticism as well. Most programs seem to focus exclusively on Web development and are taught by young instructors with only a few years experience, although maybe this doesn’t really matter. What do you think?

A lot of them have job guarantees within a few months or your tuition back, which is great in my situation.

Let me know if you have any recommendations, I’d really appreciate it!
Thoughtfu1Tux

Re: Bootcamps for coding

10 Jan 2019, 12:32

I’d love to hear from some of the programmers out there as well. I work as a bookkeeper at a small company and have learned how to code in AHK because of the monotony of doing the same thing over and over again and reallly enjoy writing programs to automate billing and automate different everyday tasks. I’m currently looking for a new job as I’ve reached the highest I can really go in my current company. I have a ton of Excel, VBA and ahk experience but not much else, and am having a hard time finding any positions other than bookkeeping or receptionist. Would love to hear how other people have made it in to the programming field without getting a degree in it.
kczx3

10 Jan 2019, 20:34

You can learn anything yourself online these days. I’m a web developer and have learned it all on my own. Went to college for Mathematics and Chemistry. Udemy has lots of classes and runs crazy sales all the time. Classes for $10 are easy to find. Pluralsight is good too
speedskis777

10 Jan 2019, 21:22

kczx3 wrote:
You can learn anything yourself online these days. I’m a web developer and have learned it all on my own. Went to college for Mathematics and Chemistry.
Totally! There are a ton of free/cheap resources out there, and I may start supplementing with Udemy courses. That said, getting past a recruiter at the resume stage, “self-taught” without a STEM major can be a tough sell, which is where a coding program might come in handy.... but I’m open to hear what other people think on that
SL5
GitHub: sl5net

11 Jan 2019, 05:54

speedskis777 wrote:
kczx3 wrote:
You can learn anything yourself online these days. I’m a web developer and have learned it all on my own. Went to college for Mathematics and Chemistry.
Totally! There are a ton of free/cheap resources out there, and I may start supplementing with Udemy courses........ but I’m open to hear what other people think on that
yes. and for the Motivation is good to have a team.
thats what i am looking for the moment ;)
kczx3

11 Jan 2019, 09:17

speedskis777 wrote:
Totally! There are a ton of free/cheap resources out there, and I may start supplementing with Udemy courses. That said, getting past a recruiter at the resume stage, “self-taught” without a STEM major can be a tough sell, which is where a coding program might come in handy.... but I’m open to hear what other people think on that
I hear ya there. That's where the Udemy stuff comes in I think. Code Academy might work too. I've only ever done the free stuff though and its super basic.
jeeswg

28 Mar 2019, 20:40

- How's it going?
- I'd recommend giving some of these a watch, to get a feel for what's going on.
- E.g. html, css, JavaScript are the website classics.
Learn in One Video - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGLfVvz_LVvSX7fVd4OUFp_ODd86H0ZIY
- And any other programming languages/web frameworks/content management systems featured in the course, that have a Derek Banas video.

- I searched 'Ruby on Fails' (as a joke) and found this, which was amusing, although too long to read.
Javashit and Ruby on Fails — My Coding Bootcamp Experience, Part 9
https://medium.com/@christianchavarro/javashit-and-ruby-on-fails-13a1b713cd73
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA

Return to “Ask For Help”