USB mouse stops working after hibernating PC

Get help with using AutoHotkey and its commands and hotkeys
User avatar
jeeswg
Posts: 6648
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 01:58
Location: UK

USB mouse stops working after hibernating PC

23 May 2019, 14:32

- I've recently started using the Hibernate feature on Windows 7.
- Every time, after hibernating, my USB mouse has stopped working.
- Unplugging the USB mouse, and plugging it back in again, has fixed the problem. Fortunately this did not crash the PC, this type of action is potentially risky.
- I wanted a non-physical solution, and couldn't find one on the Internet...

- (For clarity: I have a PS/2 to USB adapter, with 2 PS/2 slots on one end (keyboard unused/mouse used), and a USB on the other.)

- Eventually, I found that the following worked for me:
Win+R, devmgmt.msc
Human Interface Devices, USB Input Device, Disable
Human Interface Devices, USB Input Device, Enable

- This did not work:
Win+R, devmgmt.msc
Human Interface Devices, Mice and other pointing devices, Disable
Human Interface Devices, Mice and other pointing devices, Enable

- I'm writing here in case anybody has any other ideas, or has a more direct programmatic solution. Thanks.

- I can provide at least this basic AHK code:

Code: Select all

Run, devmgmt.msc ;Device Manager
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA
User avatar
jeeswg
Posts: 6648
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 01:58
Location: UK

Re: USB mouse stops working after hibernating PC

23 Jun 2019, 13:25

- One issue I had, was that there were 2 devices called 'USB Input Device', that could be disabled/enabled.
- I found unique info to distinguish between the 2 devices in Device Manager via:
right-click USB Input Device
Properties, Details tab
Hardware Ids (drop-down menu option)

- Once I had enough info to identify the device, I could then use NirSoft USBDeview to disable/enable it.
View any installed/connected USB device on your system
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
- I right-click the row and select Disable+Enable Selected Devices. (Or select the row and press F4.)
- Note: Enable Selected Devices by itself didn't work.
- Note: whether working or not working, the device is always listed in the Connected column as 'No' (not connected).
- Note: if you download the usb.ids file, mentioned in the link, you get very useful info in the Vendor Name and Product Name columns (which are otherwise blank).

- (An alternative to NirSoft USBDeview might be NirSoft DevManView.)
Alternative to device manager of Windows
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html

- We may already have some scripts on the forum, for listing hardware, and enabling/disabling hardware.
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA

Return to “Ask For Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], devnullsp, Dysphoria, sikongshan and 162 guests