msg() - message commands that are quick to type and easy to switch between

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools
davebrny

msg() - message commands that are quick to type and easy to switch between

23 Dec 2016, 18:42

some message functions that make the process of debugging scripts a bit quicker than the default commands

Code: Select all

msg_box()
msg_tray()
msg_tool()
msg_splash()
more info and downloads on the gist page

some pros over the default commands:
  • quick to type (even without auto-complete)
  • less options to fill in
  • easy to switch to between the different message types
  • the "text" parameter is in the same place each time unlike the default commands with have a different layout for each message type
  • additional options to wrap the text in quotes or arrows which make it easier to spot trailing whitespace characters
  • the tooltip and splash/progress messages are much easier to work with since you dont have to set up a sleep command and then cancel them after
  • they both stay open as long as the cursor is hovering over them
the sublime text snippets make typing them pretty fast as well. just a few characters are needed e.g. "mb" to auto-complete the msg_box function, "mt" for msg_tool.
if you dont use sublime text then you can use the hotstrings which basically do the same thing
Spoiler
Last edited by davebrny on 08 Nov 2017, 13:01, edited 2 times in total.
davebrny

Re: quick msg

10 Feb 2017, 15:13

version 2.6

- the "a" option now wraps just >one< arrow at the end instead of >>two<<
- the "a" and "q" option now work with multiple lines instead of just putting the symbols at the start and the end of a string
- invisible characters such as space, tab and linefeeds can be passed to the second parameter which will then show up as `s `t `n `r in the message text
brutus_skywalker

Re: quick msg

22 Feb 2017, 22:43

may I recommend an activation variable, debug = on|off, beats having to comment out afterwards,and for clearer distinction a debug_ preffix(I.e debug_tooltip/msg...) to functions and dumping all text to log file as well, that's just how I tweaked it,cool for quick debugging though,I just used a logging function for debugging because I was toooo lazy...
Outsourcing Clicks & Presses Since 2004.

Return to “Scripts and Functions”