stabby is an alternative to alt tab madness

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools
tinypig

stabby is an alternative to alt tab madness

15 Mar 2014, 21:11

https://github.com/tinypigdotcom/stabby

sTabby - stop being so tabby!

I often have a lot of windows open, and I grew tired of alt-tabbing a bunch of times to get to the one I wanted, so I wrote sTabby! to solve this problem. My thinking was, when I go to alt-tab, I already know the window I want to go to, so what if I could instead type a key combination to just get to that specific window?

With sTabby! this is easily done. Once the program is started, I can assign a letter key to any window I want to quickly reach. Once that is done, I can just press my hotkey followed by a letter to reach the desired window.

Which turns this:

alt-tab alt-tab alt-tab "Is this the one I want? No." alt-tab alt-tab

Into this:

hotkey f

The default hotkey is Caps Lock, and although this can be changed I highly recommend you try it as-is.

I consider a two-key sequence (press Caps Lock, release, press f, release) much easier on the hand than a two-key combination. If you still need to use the functionality of Caps Lock, you can still use Shift + CapsLock to turn Caps Lock on and off.

However, it should still be easier than alt-tab if you use a different hotkey. You can right-click the tray icon and select Options to set the hotkey.
AfterLemon

Re: stabby is an alternative to alt tab madness

17 Mar 2014, 11:09

Initial assignment of Capslock was not working, so I had to remove the settings from the .ini and use "options" to add it back in. Might want to check that out.

As well, I'd recommend checking if the hotkey is Capslock, Numlock, etc GetKeyState of that key (using the "T") option, and the use SetCapslockState or similar to keep the script from altering the toggle state.

Otherwise, this is awesome. Simple, relatively clean, and fast.

I'd love to see a nicer GUI for handling the windows, maybe even some use of GDI+ to emulate the fancy Win7 transparency w/ image of window.
HOME: Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate | AMD FX 8350 8-Core @ 4.00GHZ | 16GB Ram
WORK: Windows 7 x64 SP1 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.00GHz | 8GB Ram
MOBILE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | 2012 Asus Nexus 7 | Zune 80Gb
tinypig

17 Mar 2014, 18:40

Thanks very much for the feedback and suggestions! I will definitely check those out. I agree with you on the improvements but I've been sort of "sitting" on this for a while and thought it might be useful for folks.
tinypig

17 Mar 2014, 20:26

I think I have fixed the issues.

Return to “Scripts and Functions”