ReClip uses the clipboard to perform a variety of different text reformatting tasks, and also includes clip management facilities. It was convenient to place these rather different roles in the same program so that Windows clipboard changes that were caused by the reformatting side, could be locked out of the clip management part of the program and not appear in the historical list of clips.
If you wish to only use some of the facilities of ReClip, just ignore the parts you're not interested in.
This feature works in conjunction with any text editor, on selected text. It allows for a variety of different text formatting options, etc. Below is a summary of the options available. More detailed information is in the ReClip built-in help.
- Mono-spaced text in selected paragraphs can be reformatted to fit within a fixed number of columns. Formatting options here include ragged right, justified, centred, or unformatted. (See the 'Change options' screen shot, and this post for an example.)
- Selected lines of text can be examined for over-long lines, showing a report highlighting lines found.
- A variety of different case-conversions may be performed on the selected text. (See the 'Extra facilities' screen shot. The algorithm used for capitalising sentences is described in this post.)
- You can centre text within repeating characters on lines, with optional insertion of source code comment tokens at the start of each line.
- Selected text can be wrapped within a duplicated character. For example if the selected text was 'word' (without the quotes) and the character was %, the replaced text would be %word%. The various brackets are handled intelligently. (Thanks to davebrny and guest3456 for the idea.)
In addition, right-clicking the system tray icon will give access to all ReClip's features. For touch screen friendliness you can also set a default item to be actioned by double (or single) clicking the tray icon.
As a safety measure, ReClip will also monitor the Control+Z hotkey when sent to Windows File Explorer. For further information on this see the 'Help' screen shot.
This feature is very light on resources used, and makes use of in-memory indexes to locate a particular clip or list of clips quickly. The normal Windows clipboard hotkeys and menu items work in the standard way and are not monitored by ReClip.
When there is a new clip in the Windows clipboard, ReClip records a copy, assigns a name to the clip, writes both to disk, and adds the name to the top of its main list. Any old same-named clip in the main list is deleted.
The clips in the main list are temporary and age down as new clips are recorded. However when one of these temporary clips is accessed, it is moved back to the top of the list. The clips at the bottom of the main list will be deleted when the total number exceeds the maximum defined by the user in the settings. (See the 'Other settings' section of the 'Extra facilities' screen shot above.)
In addition to the main list, you can create folders to hold permanent clips, and manage the clips in these folders. (In the screen shots below, the 'Kept', 'Special', etc. folders have been set up to demonstrate this feature.)
To see a menu of previous clips, press the appropriate hotkey, or select 'Access clips' from the ReClip tray menu. Paste a clip via the clipboard by left-clicking with the mouse, or right-click to see an additional menu for managing this clip.
To help find a particular clip, you can specify a simple filter by clicking on the menu header. The list shown will then only include clips which contain that filter in the name.
For more information, see the ReClip built-in help.
Clipboard monitoring can be switched off (and on) from a separate script if it is required to use the clipboard for a while without ReClip saving the contents. Use code like this:
Code: Select all
DetectHiddenWindows On PostMessage 4321, 2,,, ahk_exe ReClip.exe ; Turns off ReClip clipboard monitoring MsgBox Clipboard monitoring is off PostMessage 4321, 0,,, ahk_exe ReClip.exe ; Turns on ReClip clipboard monitoring MsgBox Clipboard monitoring is on DetectHiddenWindows Off
ReClip can be downloaded from here. The zip file includes source, executable, and preferred icon.
Update History (latest first)