Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools
barosan

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

29 Nov 2014, 22:24

Hello,

Really great work on this script.

I have tried v. 0.5 and found some problems.

Google Keep app, which I have pinned in my taskbar, appeared without icon inside the launcher, and only opened a Chrome window pointing to 0.0.0.1 when I selected it. I couldn't add the lnk file manually, as nothing happened when I dragged the .lnk to the launcher window.

Some other programs, such as SpeedFan, also didn't show up in the launcher, even after I tried dragging both lnk and exe files.

/docs and /tips didn't work.

And a question: is it possible to add a custom shorcut? For example, changing the name of an app or what I have to type to run it.
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

01 Dec 2014, 16:54

barosan wrote:Hello,

Really great work on this script.

I have tried v. 0.5 and found some problems.

Google Keep app, which I have pinned in my taskbar, appeared without icon inside the launcher, and only opened a Chrome window pointing to 0.0.0.1 when I selected it. I couldn't add the lnk file manually, as nothing happened when I dragged the .lnk to the launcher window.

Some other programs, such as SpeedFan, also didn't show up in the launcher, even after I tried dragging both lnk and exe files.

/docs and /tips didn't work.

And a question: is it possible to add a custom shorcut? For example, changing the name of an app or what I have to type to run it.
Thanks.

As my previous post noted, the version is not feature complete. I've finished the /docs command implementation but the /tips thingy remains undone. I have also not reimplemented support for chrome apps. I'll put that on my todo list for 0.51 and get that out asap for you. I am also aware that some programs have difficulties being "added" to the program. That is normally because the program doesn't meet the criteria. I'll try lowering the criteria and make sure more programs pass.

The idea of a custom shortcut sounds cool, even though it might be redundant since popular programs now collect at the top of the list, so you just have to open Columbus and navigate a bit with your arrows.

/
Run1e
User avatar
empardopo
Posts: 336
Joined: 06 Oct 2013, 12:50
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

02 Dec 2014, 02:44

I didn't know this program. Congratulations!
Thanks very much for sharing the source and the program.

Has the program got an ini file? Where?
Everything is possible!
Guest

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

02 Dec 2014, 05:36

empardopo wrote:I didn't know this program. Congratulations!
Thanks very much for sharing the source and the program.

Has the program got an ini file? Where?
Thanks!

It has several inifiles. Go to %appdata%\Columbus\

/
Run1e
User avatar
empardopo
Posts: 336
Joined: 06 Oct 2013, 12:50
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

02 Dec 2014, 06:29

Guest wrote:
empardopo wrote:I didn't know this program. Congratulations!
Thanks very much for sharing the source and the program.

Has the program got an ini file? Where?
Thanks!

It has several inifiles. Go to %appdata%\Columbus\

/
Run1e
Thanks!
Everything is possible!
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

22 Dec 2014, 16:38

0.51
- /docs command reimplemented
- GuiDropFiles (adding through dropping) has been revised/fixed
- Added a warning prompt before /reset takes any effect
- Other minor tweaks
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

09 Jan 2015, 16:09

0.52:
- The bug report feature has be re-implemented
- Added the -DPIScale flag (requested by xZomBie)
- Cleaned up some code
- New button looks that blend better
- Bug fix: can't delete /docs entries..

Next update will re-implement the /g and /w commands.. probably.
enthused
Posts: 94
Joined: 27 Dec 2014, 03:28

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

10 Jan 2015, 14:12

Thank you for great script.
Will you be releasing the 0.52 source code? It is a great opportunity to learn from it many different ways to do things.
Thank you again for this really nice program.
Guest

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

11 Jan 2015, 10:19

enthused wrote:Thank you for great script.
Will you be releasing the 0.52 source code? It is a great opportunity to learn from it many different ways to do things.
Thank you again for this really nice program.
I've started updating the code on my webserver, but I'll update it on pastebin too if people find it interesting to read my weird code :D

And thanks, it really is nice hearing appreciation for things you mainly made for yourself and decided to share :)
-_+
Posts: 70
Joined: 06 Dec 2014, 12:43

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

11 Jan 2015, 12:25

1. too invasive (automatically adds self to autorun).
2. instead of asking the user where his programs are - it just hooks the ones that have been installed. Only 10% of my programs are installed, what about the rest that don't require any installation?
3. it badly needs support to run executables right from the archives.
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

11 Jan 2015, 14:40

-_+ wrote:1. too invasive (automatically adds self to autorun).
2. instead of asking the user where his programs are - it just hooks the ones that have been installed. Only 10% of my programs are installed, what about the rest that don't require any installation?
3. it badly needs support to run executables right from the archives.
Thanks for the feedback :)

1. I don't think the software making itself auto-run makes it intrusive. I think it generally makes it easier for the users, and those who don't want it running all the time can just toggle the setting in the Settings menu. Most software has this as default anyways.

2. You can simply drag exes/shortcuts onto the main gui to add them. I think this is easier than asking the user where programs are located (which doesn't vary a lot from user to user anyways)

3. ??? this makes little sense, you're supposed to unzip/extract files from archives. I doubt many people would have use for a feature like this.

Glad to hear any other thoughts you have on Columbus :D
ozzii
Posts: 362
Joined: 30 Oct 2013, 06:04

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

12 Jan 2015, 02:06

Me I would like to see one very important feature for me:
Drop a folder and index all the .exe from that folder/sub-folders (and even better ask when the folder is dropped).
So I can easily add all my 'portable' apps.
One by one it's not a possibility. Too much to do it that way!
-_+
Posts: 70
Joined: 06 Dec 2014, 12:43

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

12 Jan 2015, 05:00

Run1e wrote:Thanks for the feedback :)

1. I don't think the software making itself auto-run makes it intrusive. I think it generally makes it easier for the users, and those who don't want it running all the time can just toggle the setting in the Settings menu. Most software has this as default anyways.

2. You can simply drag exes/shortcuts onto the main gui to add them. I think this is easier than asking the user where programs are located (which doesn't vary a lot from user to user anyways)

3. ??? this makes little sense, you're supposed to unzip/extract files from archives. I doubt many people would have use for a feature like this.

Glad to hear any other thoughts you have on Columbus :D
1. Well, if it can be opted out - then it's bearable.
2. Oh, that's good. But I doubt that in that case it will use relative paths instead of absolute, and that means you can't use this script on a mountable drive as a part of portable applications pack that can be mounted to whatever folder.
3. I want the launcher-script to do that for me: unpack the archive to a temporary folder, run the executable, remove the unpacked files upon closing the program.

I admit I have quite advanced needs for a launcher.
User avatar
empardopo
Posts: 336
Joined: 06 Oct 2013, 12:50
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

13 Jan 2015, 04:05

Guest wrote:
enthused wrote:Thank you for great script.
Will you be releasing the 0.52 source code? It is a great opportunity to learn from it many different ways to do things.
Thank you again for this really nice program.
I've started updating the code on my webserver, but I'll update it on pastebin too if people find it interesting to read my weird code :D

And thanks, it really is nice hearing appreciation for things you mainly made for yourself and decided to share :)
It is always interesting to see the source code for other programmers to learn! :dance:
Everything is possible!
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

06 Feb 2015, 06:39

0.53:
- Changed the TrayTip with a custom notification GUI
- Half-finished way to send a string to Columbus from a different script (allows in-depth control of Columbus from a different script!)
- - Function for doing this will be posted soon!
- Other changes and fixes
Guest

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

09 Feb 2015, 01:01

Run1e wrote:0.53:
- Changed the TrayTip with a custom notification GUI
- Half-finished way to send a string to Columbus from a different script (allows in-depth control of Columbus from a different script!)
- - Function for doing this will be posted soon!
- Other changes and fixes
0.52 is the last version in pastebin
Guest

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

09 Feb 2015, 15:31

Guest wrote:
Run1e wrote:0.53:
- Changed the TrayTip with a custom notification GUI
- Half-finished way to send a string to Columbus from a different script (allows in-depth control of Columbus from a different script!)
- - Function for doing this will be posted soon!
- Other changes and fixes
0.52 is the last version in pastebin
Sorry bout that, updated :]
User avatar
xZomBie
Posts: 256
Joined: 02 Oct 2013, 02:57

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

23 Feb 2015, 10:57

The link for Compiled Download in the first post leads to the old version(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/da4bufhycyat03k/...) instead of the latest version(http://runie.me/dl/Columbus.exe)
Guest

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

25 Feb 2015, 14:11

xZomBie wrote:The link for Compiled Download in the first post leads to the old version(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/da4bufhycyat03k/...) instead of the latest version(http://runie.me/dl/Columbus.exe)
Oh crap. That has been there for a looong time then :D... good thing the program updates itself! Thanks for notifying me about it :D

/
Run1e
User avatar
RUNIE
Posts: 293
Joined: 03 May 2014, 14:50
GitHub: Run1e

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

25 Feb 2015, 14:12

And since ahkscript.org logs me out all the time I am now officially a guest... :D

Return to “Scripts and Functions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests