TotalKeyMix: Windows volume control for RME TotalMix

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
ikonomov

TotalKeyMix: Windows volume control for RME TotalMix

11 Jan 2018, 19:59

This project is now maintained by carlfriedrich at https://github.com/carlfriedrich/TotalKeyMix which has been updated to the new AutoHotKey utf-8 encoding with more configuration options and ability to control more than one fader. In addition, it uses TotalMix's OSC Control which negates the need for using virtual loopback MIDI drivers and also making it much easier to setup.

For a simpler and more robust solution created in C# there is the tool developed by fgimian at https://github.com/fgimian/totalmix-volume-control (RME thread: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=174137) which also uses TotalMix's OSC Control.

------------------------------------------

I'm posting a script with a compiled .exe that was originally posted at https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/17212-midi-output-from-ahk/?p=292047 and https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=8343 and created by Stephan Römer. TotalKeyMix is a tool to control the volume of RME TotalMix with hotkeys. Aditional credits go to TomB from the AutoHotKey forums for implementing the MIDI functions into AutoHotKey and Kip Chatterson (creator of KeyMce/GenMce), who helped Stephan with the script framework of the MIDI implementation. The Volume On-Screen-Display (OSD) was coded by Rajat.

TotalKeyMix_v1.2.3.zip
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 198 times

Changes since v.1.0.2 (Petre Ikonomov):
1.2.3:
- Compiled using 1.1.33.10 version of AutoHotKey (ANSI). An .exe compiled using 1.0.48.05 compiler is included in case the new compiler incorrectly triggers virus detection.
- Created a larger icon included in the .exe file.
1.2.2:
- Reverted back to using 1.0.48.05 compiler as the .exe in v.1.2.1 was being detected as a virus.
1.2.1:
- Compiled using the newest (1.1.33.02) version of AutoHotKey (ANSI).
1.2:
- Added instructions for Task Scheduler startup.
1.1:
- Added On-Screen-Display.
- Simplified the code for volume up/down.
- Modified the mute button to set the volume to 0, it no longer triggers Dim.
- Added more options in the config.ini file.
- Created a larger .ico file for higher DPI scaling.
Last edited by ikonomov on 22 Aug 2022, 20:05, edited 21 times in total.
Ved

Re: TotalKeyMix 1.0.5: a tool to control the main volume of RME TotalMix with hotkeys

20 Jan 2018, 23:12

Hey, im use the same midi library and loopmidi for midi ports.

more options with you add more control on totalmix:
midiOutShortMsg(h_midiout,176,9,0) ;for control input gain
midiOutShortMsg(h_midiout,228,0,0) ;for control output for individual channels
ikonomov

Re: TotalKeyMix 1.0.5: a tool to control the main volume of RME TotalMix with hotkeys

01 Feb 2018, 22:20

Hi Ved, you can find a more complete list of the midi channels and cc for totalmix than the one I included in the readme at https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24437. You can edit config.ini and make the volume control whichever fader you want. I thought about adding control for more than one fader, but decided against it to keep it simple and strictly as a volume controller.
ikonomov

01 Feb 2018, 22:28

I'm having some issues with MIDI Yoke on Windows 10. Specifically it stops working after certain Windows updates. I suspect that it might be because it has to be installed under compatibility mode. I am currently using LoopBe1 and so far it seems to work fine.

Edit: It seems both LoopBe1 and loopMIDI are preventing the computer to enter standby, so I went back to using MIDI Yoke.
Edit 2: MIDI Yoke does not work reliably on Windows 10, but LoopBe1 or loopMIDI can be used. For the time being, using MIDI to control TotalMix will stop the system from entering standby by itself. You can follow the thread here https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26684 and check the progress of this issue. There is a workaround which I have described in the readme.pdf included in the .zip file using powercfg utility which forces standby to ignore a system interrupt.
Last edited by ikonomov on 22 May 2018, 10:54, edited 5 times in total.
ikonomov

08 Feb 2018, 12:13

Thanks Ved for the suggestion, I took your advice and switched to loopMIDI. LoopBe1 for some reason was preventing the computer to standby.

Edit: It seems both LoopBe1 and loopMIDI are preventing the computer to enter standby, so I went back to using MIDI Yoke.
Edit 2: MIDI Yoke does not work reliably on Windows 10, but LoopBe1 or loopMIDI can be used. For the time being, using MIDI to control TotalMix will stop the system from entering standby by itself. You can follow the thread here https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26684 and check the progress of this issue. There is a workaround which I have described in the readme.pdf included in the .zip file using powercfg utility which forces standby to ignore a system interrupt.
Last edited by ikonomov on 22 May 2018, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
KarmaCrisis

23 Mar 2018, 19:02

So I feel like a dummy but would really love some help with this. The install of MIDI Yoke and TotalKeyMix seemed to go well...the program runs and responds visually to my keyboard volume wheel, however there is no effect on the actual volume. Any tips? My main outs on my UFX+ are 3/4 if that helps. Thank you in advance!
ikonomov

22 May 2018, 11:00

KarmaCrisis wrote:So I feel like a dummy but would really love some help with this. The install of MIDI Yoke and TotalKeyMix seemed to go well...the program runs and responds visually to my keyboard volume wheel, however there is no effect on the actual volume. Any tips? My main outs on my UFX+ are 3/4 if that helps. Thank you in advance!
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I think the reason for your problem is because MIDI Yoke doesn't seem to work reliably on Windows 10. I experienced the same issue. You can use instead LoopBe1 or loopMIDI. However, for the time being, using MIDI to control TotalMix will stop the system from entering standby by itself. MIDI Yoke does not, but I think this is only because the driver is installed under compatibility mode in Windows 10. I have updated the readme.pdf inside the .zip with a detailed workaround.
etherb0x

07 Jun 2018, 18:35

**EDIT: Nevermind, got it. Had to switch the MIDI port in config.ini to 3 to correspond to the loopMIDI port, as well as choose that within TotalMix. Should've been obvious. Leaving this up here in case it helps someone!

You all are brilliant. I had just spent a bunch of time trying to get genmce's script to work properly on my machine with no success. Fortunately, my use case is as simple as the one you've encapsulated in this script: Volume_Up / Volume_Down knob mapping to the RME TotalMix software for volume control via MIDI messages.

I've got everything downloaded and Volume_Up/Volume_Down set as the controlling inputs in config.ini; they are correctly animating the top green bar when I use them. However, they aren't actually steering anything within TotalMix. I've got these checked in TotalMix:

Enable MIDI Control
Settings->Remote Controller Select->1 (In Use)
Settings->MIDI Connection->MIDI In->FF800 Midi Port 1
Settings->MIDI Connection->MIDI Out->None
Mackie->Enable Protocol Support (was checked by default)

Any idea of how I might want to reroute things to get this working? I've got loopMIDI installed, didn't initially, but it's still not driving any knobs after the installation / launch.

I'm hoping this opens up options for MIDI control via the keyboard in the future, but this is a great start.

Thank you!
etherb0x

07 Jun 2018, 18:49

Does anyone know if there's a CC to control the AN 9/10 (Headphones submix) outputs? I don't see it listed anywhere on this fairly thorough breakdown: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24437
etherb0x

07 Jun 2018, 18:55

Any ideas on which CC controls the AN 9-10 Headphones submix? It would seem to be Channel 1 / CC07 according to the Fireface 800 manual (which is my interface):

However, that one seems linked to the main outputs. I'll keep experimenting in case I turn anything up.
Ved

09 Jun 2018, 08:09

Use loop function for test all controlls,like this:
+z::
winactivate,RME TotalMix FX
cc=0
loop,50
{cc++
midiOutShortMsg(h_midiout,224,cc,0)
sleep 500
midiOutShortMsg(h_midiout,224,cc,127)
sleep 500
}
cc=0
loop,50
{cc++
midiOutShortMsg(h_midiout,176,cc,0)
sleep 500
midiOutShortMsg(h_midiout,176,cc,127)
sleep 500
}
return
; open rme totalmix and look changes

sorry, im not guest, XD
ikonomov

Re: TotalKeyMix: a tool to control the volume of RME TotalMix with hotkeys

13 Feb 2019, 21:14

Recently I had to reinstall Windows, along with TotalKeyMix, and I realized that I should rewrite the the readme file with easier to follow instructions. Additionally I made a few minor changes in the script, and a new version 1.1 has been uploaded.

Edit: I re-uploaded the v1.1 again with an edited readme.pdf.
BuggyB

Re: TotalKeyMix: a tool to control the volume of RME TotalMix with hotkeys

25 Mar 2019, 18:03

Hi ikonomov, I just registered to thank you for that, that's great ! :clap:
BuggyB

Re: TotalKeyMix: Windows volume control for RME TotalMix

08 Apr 2019, 17:20

Hi,
I tried to recompile v1.1 with ahk2exe (from AutoHotkey v104805 as recommended in the readme), and I get a "EXE corrupted" error when trying to run it. Any idea ?

If I recompile using the latest AHK version, it compiles and runs all right, but doen't change the volume at all.

edit : I copied the compiler folder from v104805, as well as TotalKeyMix v1.1 source in a virtual machine where AHK was not installed, and there, everything works as expected. Looks like the problem was trying to use v104805 compiler with newest version of AHK installed. I don't understand how it all works yet, but ar least I've got a way to recompile.
ikonomov

12 Apr 2019, 19:50

Newer versions won't compile correctly, I believe the problem was that they implemented unicode encoding. On my PC (win10 installed) having installed v1.1.30.0.1 doesn't seem to cause a problem compiling using the v1.0.48.05 compiler. I'm not certain what might be causing the issue you are experiencing, the only thing I can think of is if the OS or an AV software might be preventing the compiler or the compiled .exe from running normally...

Edit: In version 1.2.1 I've used the latest release of TotalKeyMix (1.1.33.2). All you have to do is choose the ANSI .bin file when compiling.
Last edited by ikonomov on 07 Jan 2021, 13:19, edited 2 times in total.
axibert

15 Jan 2020, 13:35

Love this tool! Only sometimes it loses the connection and cannot send midi events. I have to restart it then and it works again. Do you have an idea what could cause this? Thanks!!
ikonomov

24 Jan 2020, 13:00

The AutoHotKey script sends MIDI events to the virtual MIDI port which is loaded by a driver, which then forwards the events to RME. As long as all those three components get properly loaded by Windows on start and resume from standby everything should work fine except the virtual MIDI port driver must get started by Windows before the AutoHotKey script. I've noticed a similar behavior to what you describe and I believe it's caused by windows sometimes starting the script before the virtual MIDI port driver has properly loaded. "Properly" here being a key word. Windows should load drivers before any executable in the startup folder on startup, and should properly resume drivers, yet sometimes it doesn't seem to be the case. I've added two additional settings (step #13 in the readme.pdf) that can be changed in Windows 10 which for me seem to have fixed the problem.

Are you using Windows 10 and have you changed those settings in step #13? If yes to both, can you please describe in more detail exactly when the problem occurs. Does it happen on startup, on windows resume, or just randomly while windows is running (but without waking up from standby)?
axibert

10 Feb 2020, 12:05

Thanks for the details, I have just adjusted those settings and will see how it goes. I am using Windows 10 and the problem seems to occur just randomly while windows is running. I will report back if the issue persists. Thanks again!

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”