Page 1 of 1

[Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 18:38
by RUNIE
AHK-OOG: AutoHotkey Object Oriented GUIs

AHK-OOG is an unfinished library aimed at making working with GUIs in AutoHotkey easier for those used to object-oriented programming.

The library includes a main GuiBase class, and several subclasses for other controls and other stuff. You can use the library in both an object-oriented and functional way.
It also has some comprehensive documentation.


GitHub repository
Documentation


If you're trying it out, the easiest way to learn how it works is to read the documentation and look at the example. If you have any questions or want to talk to me, come by the AHK Discord server: https://discord.gg/g5MagEr

I started working on this quite a while ago, and it's the result of several iterations of OOP GUI libraries that I've used for myself over the years. However because of getting other hobbies, university and a few other factors I've lost interest in continuing work on this project. If there ends up being interest in the library I'll finish it.

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 18:46
by burque505
RUNIE, that's really beautiful documentation. I'm trying to move (albeit kicking and screaming) toward OOP, please count me in as being really interested in seeing it move forward.
Best regards,
burque505

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 18:52
by wolf_II
burque505 wrote:please count me in as being really interested in seeing it move forward.
+1 :D

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 19:16
by Klark92
Guys, don't waste time with 'GUI', spend your time with XML based Gui designer... I was wrote Koda form designer .kxf to .ahk for example....

There is no still good form designer for ahk... I prefer koda form designer and my converter...

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 19:40
by RUNIE
burque505 wrote:RUNIE, that's really beautiful documentation.
Thanks! It was written while I still had motivation and thought it would actually be used. :roll:
Klark92 wrote:Guys, don't waste time with 'GUI', spend your time with XML based Gui designer... I was wrote Koda form designer .kxf to .ahk for example....

There is no still good form designer for ahk... I prefer koda form designer and my converter...
Not everyone like GUI form designers. In fact most people who work on big projects in AHK (which is who this library would be aimed at) don't use form designers. In the end it's just preference, and it's not really up to you to say what we should waste our time on.

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 19:44
by wolf_II
@Klark92: I fail to see how spending time on XML based GUI design will help me to use GUIs in an object-oriented manner.
IMHO, It would only add time spend. Where am I going wrong? I clearly do not understand "waste time" and "spend time" in the context.

Edit: After more thinking about it... It is most likely a wonderful approach to do something different, but here, it is off-topic.

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 20:17
by Klark92
autohotkey is not object oriented, I respect all your project but I see all the labors as wasting time... They wont help us, they slows us down

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 20:22
by Klark92
The world is changing and we have to see reality. Half of people writes with HTML(Electronjs, atom.io...), and half of writes with WPF(so XML)... Autohotkey designers must be more powerful. but I SEE BIG ZERO... There is NO powerful designers for AHK and there is no one doing it, even thinking, except me...

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 21:28
by RUNIE
Preach for your thoughts and opinions somewhere else. As wolf_II said, it's off-topic in here.

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 04 Jun 2018, 23:57
by nnnik
Klark92 wrote:The world is changing and we have to see reality. Half of people writes with HTML(Electronjs, atom.io...), and half of writes with WPF(so XML)... Autohotkey designers must be more powerful. but I SEE BIG ZERO... There is NO powerful designers for AHK and there is no one doing it, even thinking, except me...
As AHK allows for both prototype based and class based OOP I really dont see your point.
Also your designer will be limited to AutoHotkeys basic controls which is the equivalent of adding a designer for something that cannot be designed in any way to make it look decent.

@Topic
It looks good. Though I dont have the time to completely look into it.

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 05 Jun 2018, 07:56
by Helgef
Looks good, as expected :thumbup:.

Thanks for sharing, cheers.

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 06 Jun 2018, 18:51
by freakkk
This looks awesome! Thank you for sharing it!

I haven't looked too closely yet, but does this follow the same syntax as the Gui objects in v2, for Autohokey v1.1x? If not, have you considered trying to make it match as close as possible? I haven't begun using v2 yet because the company I work for has 1.1 installed on all the server/clients. This library can help take advantage while bridging the gap.!

Re: [Library] AHK-OOG: Object Oriented GUIs in AutoHotkey

Posted: 06 Jun 2018, 20:55
by RUNIE
freakkk wrote:This looks awesome! Thank you for sharing it!

I haven't looked too closely yet, but does this follow the same syntax as the Gui objects in v2, for Autohokey v1.1x? If not, have you considered trying to make it match as close as possible? I haven't begun using v2 yet because the company I work for has 1.1 installed on all the server/clients. This library can help take advantage while bridging the gap.!
Kinda! I've taken quite some inspiration from v2, but it is by no means an attempt at bringing v2 syntax to v1.1.