Insert Text from List

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
theorange

Insert Text from List

17 Jan 2019, 15:10

I'm pretty new to HotKeys, have only made a couple of basic scripts. Part of my job is to write technical step by step guides which requires a lot of repeated lines that have to follow a strict style guide. Doing them in my native language is easy enough, but we also make guides for other languages. While we get most of our guides translated, occasionally there is an update to a section or two that we have to translate ourselves based on past translations from the company that provides the bulk of them to us. We use Google Spreadsheets to write the guides that later get exported to XML with a custom tool.

I've done some research and have found AutoHotkey scripts that insert text from another text file and can even insert sequentially to fill out forms. What my goal is to have a program that I can launch with a keyboard shortcut that has a list of English phrases that I can select with arrows and the enter key. If needed, the right arrow key can be used to go over to another language of the same phrase. Enter key would select it. Here is how I imagine text document the script pulls from would look like:

Phrase One;Première phrase;Frase Uno
Phrase Two;Deuxième phrase;Frase dos
Phrase Three;Troisième phrase;Frase Tres

My question to the forum is this: Is this even remotely possible? At this point I'm thinking it is only going to be possible by writing a Python script and having Auto Hotkey run it.
SOTE

Re: Insert Text from List

20 Jan 2019, 21:14

theorange wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 15:10
I'm pretty new to HotKeys, have only made a couple of basic scripts. Part of my job is to write technical step by step guides which requires a lot of repeated lines that have to follow a strict style guide. Doing them in my native language is easy enough, but we also make guides for other languages. While we get most of our guides translated, occasionally there is an update to a section or two that we have to translate ourselves based on past translations from the company that provides the bulk of them to us. We use Google Spreadsheets to write the guides that later get exported to XML with a custom tool.

I've done some research and have found AutoHotkey scripts that insert text from another text file and can even insert sequentially to fill out forms. What my goal is to have a program that I can launch with a keyboard shortcut that has a list of English phrases that I can select with arrows and the enter key. If needed, the right arrow key can be used to go over to another language of the same phrase. Enter key would select it. Here is how I imagine text document the script pulls from would look like:

Phrase One;Première phrase;Frase Uno
Phrase Two;Deuxième phrase;Frase dos
Phrase Three;Troisième phrase;Frase Tres

My question to the forum is this: Is this even remotely possible? At this point I'm thinking it is only going to be possible by writing a Python script and having Auto Hotkey run it.
You posted this in the wrong section. This section is for posting your completed scripts. If you need help with a script, ask in the "Ask For Help" section of the forum. You may want to read the forum rules.

As for if it's possible in AutoHotey, it does look so.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”