XpressKeys - visual shortcuts Menu for Art Software

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools
AlexL

XpressKeys - visual shortcuts Menu for Art Software

13 Dec 2019, 16:44

Hello to All.
I am sharing an Autohotkey script I made, that creates a circular menu that can be used to quickly access the most used commands when working with most art applications.
I had the need to create it, because, when working with a digital tablet, the keyboard is usually too far for proper use, and most digital tablets don't have enough function keys for all the tools required. Also, when using a digital tablet, the attention is on the screen and not on its function keys.
So the idea appeared, to pack the most used shortcuts in one quick menu, and instead of simulating an on-screen keyboard, it simulates the actual tools used.

Here's the link to the zip file on Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sQsUg-bN_dymnHbnQ9hS0peQ5fjpmIof

Just unzip it anywhere, read the readme.txt for instructions on how to customize it for your use, and run the file xpresskeys.ahk
The menu shows several buttons, that when pressed, send keyboard inputs to the active window (tried it with photoshop, krita, ilustrator and blender. It is expected to work with most programs on windows 10)
The keyboard inputs, if matched with the specific program shortcuts, will activate the wanted tool.
You can try its effect on a simple notepad. To open the xpresskeys menu, just press capslock. Clicking outside the menu will hide it again, or press the capslock again to hide it.

Feel free to post any doubts or issues you find with it.
Cheers.

AlexL
haichen

Re: XpressKeys - visual shortcuts Menu for Art Software

14 Dec 2019, 08:42

Wow. Very impressive! Thank you very much for this!
rommmcek

14 Dec 2019, 13:18

I was attracted by the beautiful design. Here are my suggestions:
- To enable correct display on any Dpi setting:

Code: Select all

; ….
	Gui, %n%: -DPIScale
	Gui, %n%:Color, %gui_color%
	; ….
- Arrow key layout:

Code: Select all

; ….
	AddImgButton(n,179,130,45,45,"btpoly","bt_poly_up.png","bt_poly_on.png","bt_poly_dn.png")
	AddImgButton(n,125,175,45,45,"btpolyadd","bt_polyadd_up.png","bt_polyadd_on.png","bt_polyadd_dn.png")
	AddImgButton(n,75,175,45,45,"btpolyminus","bt_polyminus_up.png","bt_polyminus_on.png","bt_polyminus_dn.png")
	AddImgButton(n,230,175,45,45,"btpolycurve","bt_polycurve_up.png","bt_polycurve_on.png","bt_polycurve_dn.png")
	AddImgButton(n,280,175,45,45,"btpolynodes","bt_polynodes_up.png","bt_polynodes_on.png","bt_polynodes_dn.png")

AddImgButton(n,176,173,50,50,"btkeyup","bt_keyup_up.png","bt_keyup_on.png","bt_keyup_dn.png")
	AddImgButton(n,176,221,50,50,"btkeydown","bt_keydown_up.png","bt_keydown_on.png","bt_keydown_dn.png")
	AddImgButton(n,128,221,50,50,"btkeyleft","bt_keyleft_up.png","bt_keyleft_on.png","bt_keyleft_dn.png")
	AddImgButton(n,224,221,50,50,"btkeyright","bt_keyright_up.png","bt_keyright_on.png","bt_keyright_dn.png")
	; ….
Delta Pythagorean
GitHub: DelPyth

14 Dec 2019, 14:18

Any screenshot examples?

- [AHK].......: 1.1.33.02 Unicode 64-bit
- [OS].........: Windows 10.0.18362
- [GITHUB]...: github.com/DeltaPyth
- [PAYPAL]....: paypal.me/DelPyth
- [DISCORD]..: Delta#3324

Remember to use [code]CODE[/code] for your multi-line scripts.
Stay safe, stay inside, and remember to wash your hands for 20 seconds!
AlexL

14 Dec 2019, 17:34

Thank you for the heads up, rommmcek.
I am currently adding a virtual keyboard too. Simpler, but required when one needs to write something as simple as a layer's name.
Also, I have added some extras:
-dragging the round panel is possible now, in case it is hiding some important part of the work
-when closing the panel, the mouse returns to the original position (when the panel was called out)

The keyboard panel will be fixed to the center-bottom of the screen, and only appears when its button is pressed.
Modifier keys will alternate between lowcaps, highcaps, and symbols.

Here's a screenshot of the current work:
grandma-duir.jpg
grandma-duir.jpg (224.63 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
My work is being interrupted by family and work issues. It's Christmas time... :xmas:

Cheers to everyone.

AlexL
AlexL

14 Dec 2019, 17:43

One user posted me a message, saying that the google drive link is broken. I have tried it, and it seems to be ok?
Anyone found the same issue too?
gregster

14 Dec 2019, 19:33

AlexL wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 17:43
One user posted me a message, saying that the google drive link is broken. I have tried it, and it seems to be ok?
Anyone found the same issue too?
@AlexL, the link was originally broken - by the forum software. You had absolutely no chance to prevent that.
For newly registered users (and users with very few posts), there are unfortunately certain restrictions for posting external links... and google drive isn't whitelisted currently, like for example github, afaik.

Yesterday, I fixed the link for you - probably I should have left a note.
(With your current rights, I am afraid it will break again as soon as you edit that first post.)

btw, welcome to the forum and thank you for your contribution!
AlexL

15 Dec 2019, 05:23

Thank you, Gregster. I will keep posting about the progression of the script, and any updates, I'll just replace the zip file on google drive. This way, I can preserve the link to anyone willing to try it.

O7
AlexL

17 Dec 2019, 17:00

Hello mates.

There's a new version on the link.
It includes a virtual keyboard for all the needs required.
Hope you like it, and use it for all your artists' "stuff".
xpress1.jpg
xpress1.jpg (182.7 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
xpress2.jpg
xpress2.jpg (192.74 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
Cheers

AlexL
tyt2y7
GitHub: tyt2y3

26 Dec 2019, 01:36

Thank you so much for this. This is incredibly useful. Mind if you upload the code to Github so that people are more likely to discover this script and perhaps contribute. I have modified it according to my need. In particular, I modified it to be always on screen (instead of toggling with Caps lock) and I needed only undo and redo. The code is very well written and easy to hack on!
AlexL

27 Dec 2019, 11:39

tyt2y7 wrote:
26 Dec 2019, 01:36
The code is very well written and easy to hack on!
Thank you. I usually program with a verbose style, so that anyone can pick it up and improve. I never used Github before. (silly me! XD) But I think I'll do it for this script, since I have modified it a bit, changing the trigger from capslock to NumpadAdd, because some tablets don't allow the use of capslock as shortcut.
I removed the autohide of the gui, and added drag into the keyboard also.
All these variants deserve their place, so, I think I'll put it all on Github and post it here.
Cheers.
tyt2y7
GitHub: tyt2y3

31 Dec 2019, 07:25

AlexL wrote: I never used Github before... But I think I'll do it for this script...
Let me know your repository and I am ready to star and fork! :thumbup:
WOlfen

02 Jan 2020, 14:03

I want to use this, cause this looks great.
But everytime i launch the script it says this:

Error at Line 47 in
xpresskeys_graphicbuttons.txt
Line Text: switch A_Gui
Error: This Line does not contain a recognized Action.
gregster

02 Jan 2020, 14:14

WOlfen wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 14:03
Error at Line 47 in
xpresskeys_graphicbuttons.txt
Line Text: switch A_Gui
Error: This Line does not contain a recognized Action.
Switch was only recently introduced in AHK v1.1.31.
So you'll have to update AHK or edit the script.
AlexL

10 Jan 2020, 14:23

Hello mates.

Here it is, the GitHub link for the project.
It has 2 versions in there, with the new one that allows keyboard drag being the version 2.0.
https://github.com/AlexL-crafter/XpressKeys

Still new to GitHub. I'll try to put all the files there in a proper unzipped folder.

Cheers.
AlexL

15 Jan 2020, 05:59

Just posting my thanks to Chris Tsang https://github.com/tyt2y3 for refining the GitHub page for XpressKeys.
:salute:

https://github.com/AlexL-crafter/XpressKeys
Cheers to everyone.
AlexL

26 Jan 2020, 07:21

Hello to everyone.
XpressKeys has a new version: 3.0
A new feature was added: the Xpress Typer - a small input box for text that can be used to inject pre-made text into any text box at the press of middle-mouse-button.
It's a required feature for some situations where changing focus from the Gui to target window deactivates the text input. It happens when trying to change a file's name or naming a layer or editing a text object in software like photoshop.
https://github.com/AlexL-crafter/XpressKeys/

Each version is stored here, in a zip file ready to unpack:
https://github.com/AlexL-crafter/XpressKeys/tree/original-backup

Feel free to suggest more changes.
Cheers.
WOlfen

29 Feb 2020, 12:14

Really great work. I just love this AHK Menus so much. Really useful.
You should combine your work with the Radial Menu from here:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12078
The look from your Menu and it´s way how it can command the active Window, should combine with the way how you can costumize the UI with Radial Menu would be the best of both worlds. Yeah, while you´re Menu is really great, the thing which breaks it being the king of these Radial Menus is just the Customization. No, i have no problem with editing text or ahk files. It´s just ... you should check out Radial Menu for yourself and see what i mean if you haven´t.
I know that´s the way how you build your Menu. While i can change the commands of it easily, the look of it is a whole different story. The problem is that it´s all built on "AddImgButton" which you can´t really positioning any button to a different position WITHOUT changing all the other buttons, which is little bit of a let down (No offense, i still like your Menu).
AlexL

23 Oct 2020, 10:38

Hello to everyone
XpressKeys has a new version: 5.0!
There's a total remake. The circular gui was eliminated, and everything was placed in the virtual keyboard.
By my experience working with many different graphics software, this seemed the best option.
This version dropped the pretty buttons for functionality and lightness. It uses a font named XpressKeys.ttf that stores all the graphics.
You will have to install it to work.
If you are unsure about installing the font, just use "Font Forge" to check it. It's an open source program that can edit fonts. You can use it to add your own button graphics too!

https://github.com/AlexL-crafter/XpressKeys/

Just pickup the xpresskeys_5.0.zip
NOTE: I started hating Github and the way they do everything, so, I will simply leave it as plain as possible and place in there the zip files with the updated versions.
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (148.55 KiB) Viewed 113 times

Return to “Scripts and Functions”