PowerPoint Inking Toolbar

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools
lblb

PowerPoint Inking Toolbar

27 Jul 2020, 19:32

Last update: v. 2.2, July 28, 2020 and v. 1.0 of the PowerPoint add-in

The PowerPoint Inking Toolbar is a program that makes the annotation of slides easier during a PowerPoint slide show. It creates a hovering toolbar that provides quick access to pens of different colors, to the eraser, and to many other functions. PowerPoint has some good annotation capabilities that can be used during a slide show but most annotation functions are several clicks away, which can break the flow of a presentation. The PowerPoint Inking Toolbar can prove to be especially useful during online lectures where a good flow when annotating slides is crucial.

Starting with v. 2.2 of the toolbar, you can optionally install the new PowerPoint add-in: using this add-in, the toolbar can be set to be launched automatically whenever a PowerPoint slide-show starts. If you don't use the add-in, you can still start the toolbar manually by double-clicking on the script's file. See below for instructions to install the add-in and for an updated video briefly showcasing the add-in and most recent features.
If you had changed the buttons in the .ini file of version 2.1, you can download version 2.2 and let it create its own .ini file. Then you can copy the list of buttons from your 2.1 .ini file at the same place in the new 2.2 .ini file.

Here is a short updated demo video (see at the 1:55 mark for the latest features, including the add-in):

To use the program, you can just download the .ahk file from the following Google Drive link:

DOWNLOAD THE CURRENT VERSION OF THE POWERPOINT INKING TOOLBAR: Version 2.2, uploaded July 28, 2020: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vWWaqz6DKTLF4Dgi4d7hpWO0m22INyZN/view

DOWNLOAD A .ZIP FILE CONTAINING THE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL THE CURRENT VERSION OF THE POWERPOINT ADD-IN: Version 1.0, uploaded July 28, 2020: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l8Y4H-idZAUJH1vrENMlUfC78Do_Q1TQ/view

The first time you run the script, it will ask you to create a .ini settings file that will contain all the settings for the program. Almost every feature of the toolbar can be easily customized by editing the .ini file, including changing the size of and adding/removing/reordering buttons. Makes ure to keep the .ini file in the same folder as the .ahk script.

Let me know if you have any comments, bug reports, or suggestions for improvements!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

- The code for the main functions is actually pretty short. The great majority of the script's code is for the the icons and images that were included in the script as very long hBITMAP codes using Image2Include.ahk. I'd love to make the source code directly available here, but the source code has too many characters to be accepted here. But let me know if you're not comfortable downloading the script from the Google Drive link above!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All versions:

- Version 2.2, uploaded July 28, 2020: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vWWaqz6DKTLF4Dgi4d7hpWO0m22INyZN/view
Changelog:
- Now compatible with the PowerPoint add-in.
- Added the default hotkey of "Ctrl + Shift + Alt + t" to show/hide the toolbar.
- Changed the menu icon for "projector" as it was causing a bug with Windows 7.

- Version 2.1, uploaded July 28, 2020: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11IDZ7ZopuTPCj1OGycS4dP0kJN6Pe6W4/view
Changelog:
- Added a new button command to add a blank black slide to act as a blackboard.
- Added the capacity to add keyboard shortcuts to most of the toolbar's commands and to show/hide the toolbar.
- Added the option to not show the toolbar when the program starts.
- Added options to set if left- or right-clicking the tray icon will either show/hide the toolbar or show the toolbar's menu.

- Version 2.0, uploaded July 27, 2020: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1welGGpP92baMofkw7QJy021fV2IOQOnM/view
Changelog:
- Many, many changes have been made since v. 1.0!
- The script is now self-contained and all images have now been coded into the script so no folder needs to be created.
- Added a verification for the presence of the .ini settings file in the script's folder. Thanks daywalker for the suggestion.
- On first use, a .ini file for the settings will be created. So no need to download the ini file anymore.
- The .ini file now contains more detailed instructions on how to customize the toolbar.
- The buttons included by default in the toolbar have been changed to include the "laser" and the new "cursor highlight" buttons. This can easily be modifed by editing the .ini settings file.
- The demo video above was created.
Last edited by lblb on 30 Jul 2020, 15:53, edited 7 times in total.
lblb

Re: PowerPoint Inking Toolbar

28 Jul 2020, 16:27

Updated to v. 2.1.

New to version 2.1: You can now set hotkeys to switch between some of the toolbar tools and to show/hide the toolbar. You can also set the toolbar to not show up when the program is started (and subsequently show the toolbar through a hotkey or by clicking on the program's tray icon). This means you can, for example, use hotkeys to quickly switch between pen colors without ever showing the toolbar. There is also a new command to create a blank black page during a presentation to act as a "blackboard", to complement the "whiteboard" command that was already present.
Last edited by lblb on 29 Jul 2020, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
burque505

28 Jul 2020, 16:55

Hi, this looks very interesting indeed. I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, and get the following error regardless of what encoding I save the file in.

Code: Select all

---------------------------
PowerPoint Inking Toolbar 2.1.ahk
Error:  Can't load icon.

Specifically: HBITMAP:*0

Line#
	340: Icon_Volume_Up := "HBITMAP:*" . Create_Volume_Up_png()
	341: Icon_Zoom_In := "HBITMAP:*" . Create_Zoom_In_png()
	342: Icon_Zoom_Out := "HBITMAP:*" . Create_Zoom_Out_png()
	346: Menu,ProjectorMenu,Add,Display properties,DisplayProperties
	347: Menu,ProjectorMenu,Icon,Display properties,%Icon_Menu_Display%,,%General_Menu_Icon_Size%
	348: Menu,ProjectorMenu,Add
	349: Menu,ProjectorMenu,Add,Connect to projector,ProjectorConnect
--->	350: Menu,ProjectorMenu,Icon,Connect to projector,%Icon_Menu_Projector%,,%General_Menu_Icon_Size%
	352: Menu,VolumeMenu,Add,Volume equalizer,Equalizer
	353: Menu,VolumeMenu,Icon,Volume equalizer,%Icon_Menu_Equalizer%,,%General_Menu_Icon_Size%
	354: Menu,VolumeMenu,Add
	355: Menu,VolumeMenu,Add,Sound settings,MSSound
	356: Menu,VolumeMenu,Icon,Sound settings,%Icon_Menu_MS_Sound%,,%General_Menu_Icon_Size%
	357: Menu,VolumeMenu,Add
	358: Menu,VolumeMenu,Add,Sound settings (classic),Sound

The current thread will exit.
OK   
I will experiment with downloading again to see if the encoded png might have gotten corrupted when I downloaded.
Edit: If I comment out line 350, all is well. There's a missing icon in the menu then, but it works fine.
Regards,
burque505
lblb

28 Jul 2020, 17:01

@burque505

Are you using the latest version of AHK? I had the same error message when using a Win 7 computer with an old version of AHK, but the message doesn't show up after updating to the latest version of AHK.
burque505

28 Jul 2020, 17:06

1.1.33.02, probably same as you. I'll try an older version to see if that works.
EDIT: 1.1.33.02 32-bit works fine, for 1.1.33.02 64-bit I have to comment out line 350.
Regards,
burque505
lblb

28 Jul 2020, 17:23

@burque505

Thanks for reporting it and doing some investigating. Indeed, it seems like this error is specific to Windows 7... At least, the script works on all versions of the latest AHK on Windows 10, and this message only pops up with AHK Unicode 64 on Win 7. I'll investigate!
burque505

28 Jul 2020, 17:51

@lblb, it's kind of got me baffled. Here's a check I did to decode the icon with 64-bit AHK on Win7:
Spoiler

And got this:
inktest.png
inktest.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
lblb

28 Jul 2020, 18:08

@burque505

Yeah, I don't know what's going on. I even recoded it on Win7 using 64-bit AHK (not that I thought it would make a difference, but one never knows) and it gives the same behavior.
For the sake of the program I'll just choose a different icon (that hopefully will encode better) but I am very puzzled by what's going on!
burque505

28 Jul 2020, 18:35

Really cool program, by the way!
As a humble suggestion, I would propose adding a default hotkey to show/hide the toolbar and letting the user know what it is in the message that shows when the default .ini is being created.
For example, I changed my setting to

;Hotkey to show/hide the toolbar
Toolbar=^!#t
Then maybe something like this in the initial message (untested):

If !FileExist(General_IniFile)
	{
    Msgbox, 0x40044,, The settings files named "PowerPoint_Inking_Toolbar_Settings.ini" should be in the same folder as this script but is not detected.`n`nDo you want to create a new file with default settings?`n`nIf you select No, the script will exit.`n`nThe default hotkey setting to show/hide the toolbar is Ctrl-Alt-Win-t.`nEdit the settings file to change this.
	IfMsgBox Yes
lblb

28 Jul 2020, 20:28

I'm glad you like it!
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add that to the next version.
lblb

29 Jul 2020, 00:50

Updated to v. 2.2.

New to version 2.2: The toolbar can now be used with the new PowerPoint add-in: using this add-in, the toolbar can be set to be launched automatically whenever a PowerPoint slide-show starts. See the full changelog, the link to download the add-in, and an updated video featuring the add-in in the first post.

If you had changed the buttons in the .ini file of version 2.1, you can download version 2.2 and let it create its own .ini file. Then you can copy the list of buttons from your 2.1 .ini file at the same place in the new 2.2 .ini file.

Return to “Scripts and Functions”