Converting wildcards to RegEx criteria with Wildcards2RegEx()

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
JnLlnd

Converting wildcards to RegEx criteria with Wildcards2RegEx()

19 Nov 2020, 16:30

Regex expressions can be intimidating for non-programmers (and even for programmers!). In Quick Access Popup, I wanted to allow end users to filter a list of files (coming from a database) using the old DOS wildcards * and ? that most users are familiar with. But I could not find how to filter a list using these DOS wildcards in AHK. The solution would be to convert these wildcards (like the simple "*.mp3" or the more complex "abc??.m*") to a criteria that could be used with RegExMatch().

I asked the group of users attending the last AutoHotkey webinar (hosted monthly by @Joe Glines and Jackie Sztuk/@BlackHolyMan) if someone knew a function that would do it. These webinars are great! The solution to this problem did not exist before this webinar (as far as we knew) but it was resolved "live" during the webinar! Thanks to Jackie, @GeekDude, Dimitri Geerts and Jesús Prieto for their help with this.

The final version came from GeekDude. For those who would have a similar need, here is the function and an example script.

Code: Select all

#SingleInstance Force

strFiles := "abc.docx|abc.xlsx|def.docx|docx.txt"
strWildcards := "*.docx|abc.*|*b*.*|*.*x*|???.*|?b?.*o*|*c.*"

loop, parse, strWildcards, |
{
	strWildCard := A_LoopField
	strResult .= strWildCard . "`n"
	loop, parse, strFiles, |
		strResult .= A_LoopField . " -> " . (RegExMatch(A_LoopField, Wildcards2RegEx(strWildcard)) ? "yes" : "no") . "`n"
	strResult .= "`n`n"
}
MsgBox, % strResult

return

;---------------------------------------------------------
Wildcards2RegEx(strDosWildcards)
{
	return "i)^\Q" . StrReplace(StrReplace(StrReplace(strDosWildcards, "\E", "\E\\E\Q"), "?", "\E.?\Q"), "*", "\E.*\Q") . "\E$"
}
Last edited by JnLlnd on 20 Nov 2020, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
:thumbup: Author of freeware Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!
:P Now working on Quick Clipboard Editor
:ugeek: The Automator's Courses on AutoHotkey
JnLlnd

Re: Converting wildcards to RegEx criteria with Wildcards2RegEx()

19 Nov 2020, 17:21

I edit the function to add the "i)" option making the RegEx criteria case-insensitive as are DOS wildcards.
:thumbup: Author of freeware Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!
daywalker

20 Nov 2020, 01:25

Hi,

nice idea, which I can use, but when using strWildcards := "????.*" only list files with 4 characters, but in DOS dir ????.* will display all files with 0-4 characters before the dot. So I think "?" should be replaced with "\E.?\Q" if you want to be DOS compliant:

Code: Select all

Wildcards2RegEx(strDosWildcards)
{
	return "i)^\Q" . StrReplace(StrReplace(StrReplace(strDosWildcards, "\E", "\E\\E\Q"), "?", "\E.?\Q"), "*", "\E.*\Q") . "\E$"
}
JnLlnd

20 Nov 2020, 08:56

Thank you, daywalker. I'll edit the original post.

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”